Legal Employment in D.C

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Brownadam26
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 am

Legal Employment in D.C

Postby Brownadam26 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:04 am

disregard
Last edited by Brownadam26 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArmyVet07
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:11 am

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby ArmyVet07 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 am

You don't have to be a corporate lawyer to earn $100k. Working for the federal government in DC will also put you there in a few years. New hires with a JD normally start at GS-11 (step 1) and (with positive reviews) move up one pay grade a year until they reach GS-14. Here's the 2009 pay schedule:

http://www.opm.gov/oca/09tables/html/dcb.asp

Anonymous User
Posts: 273259
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 am

With all due respect (in my best michael scott voice) This is a stupid stupid thread.

Best advice apply to DC law schools if you want to work in DC. Best School to apply to GW and GULC.

No one can tell you which firms will hire you...that is not possible. As to your plan...LOL

Brownadam26
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 am

disregard

Postby Brownadam26 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Disregard
Last edited by Brownadam26 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby Georgiana » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:37 pm

People can't answer this question.

What's your GPA? Have you taken your LSAT? What's your score?

To get a job in a DC firm you need to go to the best school possible and get the best grades possible. DC is a hard market to break. Their SA classes are small and they tend to weigh grades heavily. Thats about the best answer anyone can give without knowing anything at all about you.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Post in a (hopefully) troll thread.

Here's the deal kid. You're in college. You haven't given us any details on your GPA, let alone an LSAT score. You may think you're well connected in the DC area, but you aren't.
Brownadam26 wrote:I'd like to make at least 100k + within the first few years after graduation.
So would 99% of the people on the planet.

Brownadam26 wrote: Please keep in mind i've done some research regarding the pay scale so I know I need to be a corporate lawyer.


Last I checked the pay scale at major firms that do corporate law don't differentiate between a CL associate or someone who is in any other field.

Brownadam26 wrote:if you can tell me which big firms in D.C are likely to hire me and from where. (I plan on writing law journals and being on the law review).


You haven't really been into this whole 'law' thing very long, have you? If you had, you'd already have an idea of the major firms in DC that would be capable of hiring your at a > $100k salary. You'd also know that to work at said prestigious firms you need to go to a prestigious school, and this ties into your GPA and future LSAT score that I mentioned earlier. I'm glad you plan on "writing" law journals and being on law review. Once again, so does everyone else. Chances are that you are not good enough to get onto law review. Competition is fierce and you damn well better be an amazing writer and/or at the top of your class, while competing with the smartest people you've ever met mind you.

In summary, you don't know jack about the legal profession. Stop posting, and start reading. Read TLS, read law blogs, read everything you can about the state of the legal profession, hiring rates, pay freezes, law school admissions, and LSAT tips. Think about the state of the economy right now, and consider the incredibly change in hiring rates compared to just two years ago. Consider that the legal profession may very well be a bubble that burst along with banking and housing in 2008. Think long and hard about graduating from law school in (4, 5 years?) with >$100,000 in student debt. Can you handle that? It's not dischargable in bankrputcy. No $100k+ jobs are guaranteed anymore.

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby LurkerNoMore » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:08 pm

You might want to read a few more threads around here and reformulate your questions in a way that people could be more helpful.

But, here's a breakdown on the basis of what you've said:

Brownadam26 wrote: I'm sure I want to go to law school and I'm positive I'd like to make at least 100k + within the first few years after graduation.

If a high salary is your goal, the "safest" way to achieve it is to go to a highly ranked school that places a significant percentage of its graduates in BigLaw jobs. However, "safe" is a relative term and all students going to law school these days have a significant risk of failing to land one of the highly paid jobs. You also may be looking at paying a lot more to go to a top law school (depending on whether you get aid or not from other schools).

Further, if you want $100k within a few years (as opposed to $145k + out of the gate), that will open up your options. BUT.....


Brownadam26 wrote:I have strong networks in D.C and my heart tells me that I should apply to school there.


All legal jobs in DC are highly sought after and the cost of living in DC will put more pressure on you to go for more highly compensated ones.

Further, DC is a "national" market, in that there are people at just about every law school in the country that want to practice there. While ties to DC can be helpful, they will not "make up for" either poor grades or a mediocre/weak law school. There are more than enough people with outstanding resumes and/or ties to DC that come from the top law schools in the country to meet the demand for attorneys in the city.

Brownadam26 wrote:Please keep in mind i've done some research regarding the pay scale so I know I need to be a corporate lawyer.


Then you need to do more research. Pay scales don't vary as much by specialty as they do by employment setting. Starting associates at big law firms make the same amount whether they are in litigation, regulatory, or corporate (bonuses can change that, but they are often on the basis of hours or the clout of a department within the firm).


Brownadam26 wrote:Also keep in mind I'm currently a political science/history major so i'm not sure if that will prevent me from doing so.

Unless you want to sit for the patent bar, your undergrad doesn't matter. (Though a business/accounting background can be helpful in "selling" your interest in corporate, it is by no means necessary.)


Brownadam26 wrote:Furthermore it's appropraite since this is the Legal Employment thread if you can tell me which big firms in D.C are likely to hire me and from where.

Go to --LinkRemoved-- and search for DC firms. Look to see where they recruit at. Then go to their firm web sites and see where their young associates went to law school. Then remember that the economy has tanked and your chances will not be as good as this data might lead you to believe.


Brownadam26 wrote:(I plan on writing law journals and being on the law review).

Good luck with that. That goal should definitely define how seriously you approach your studies, but should not be a factor when you are deciding what school to go to or what your chances of employment will be.

Brownadam26
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 am

Hey

Postby Brownadam26 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:12 pm

Disregard
Last edited by Brownadam26 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby LawandOrder » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm going to /facepalm, wish you good luck, and move on. Good luck!

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby OGR3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:20 pm

Brownadam26 wrote:You each have a few good points but I'm quite sure 100k jobs are still feasibly expected depending on your route. 99% of people going to law school do not intend on a 100k + job because some people want to go into public interest so your point is nullfied. Also the reason I believe I'm well connected is because of my preexisting network which i'm hopeful will grant me an internship in congress or a large DC firm. Of course these networks will strengthen this summer when I choose where I'm interning. Again I'm trying to be respectable but I've seriously been interested in law a long time so please don't assume I havent.
For your info I guess I can tell you my LSAT and GPA however that's not relevant since my question is what are the corporate possibilities after and during law school! Like I said I've been interested in this law thing a while and I've called firms in ATL asking what they're looking for in associates. I got in contact with the director of hiring at prestigious firms in ATL but like I said my heart is set in D.C for some reason. Also I've connected with JD/MBA candidates (translates into corporate law) students in some D.C schools already who have informed me about what it takes to write on the law review and law journal at a particular school. Thus I'm preparing for the vigour now. Umm i'm not infering i'm a JD/MBA candidate, i'm a poly sci & histroy major and that's all you need to know.
About your inquiry about the economy/loans- At some law schools I've learned that the bigger investment = the highest reward. Obama even paid his college loans until his presidency. Perhaps you may be the one who isn't informed. - I think I can handle it. Finally my new question is what are the exact names of the firms and are there plenty to go around? Maybe I should just wait until i'm actually in D.C this summer to ask qualified professionals this question but I thought this web side esp. this thread would be feasible in this regard.


Let me get my popcorn.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Brownadam26 wrote:You each have a few good points but I'm quite sure 100k jobs are still feasibly expected depending on your route. 99% of people going to law school do not intend on a 100k + job because some people want to go into public interest so your point is nullfied. Also the reason I believe I'm well connected is because of my preexisting network which i'm hopeful will grant me an internship in congress or a large DC firm. Of course these networks will strengthen this summer when I choose where I'm interning. Again I'm trying to be respectable but I've seriously been interested in law a long time so please don't assume I havent.
For your info I guess I can tell you my LSAT and GPA however that's not relevant since my question is what are the corporate possibilities after and during law school! Like I said I've been interested in this law thing a while and I've called firms in ATL asking what they're looking for in associates. I got in contact with the director of hiring at prestigious firms in ATL but like I said my heart is set in D.C for some reason. Also I've connected with JD/MBA candidates (translates into corporate law) students in some D.C schools already who have informed me about what it takes to write on the law review and law journal at a particular school. Thus I'm preparing for the vigour now. Umm i'm not infering i'm a JD/MBA candidate, i'm a poly sci & histroy major and that's all you need to know.
About your inquiry about the economy/loans- At some law schools I've learned that the bigger investment = the highest reward. Obama even paid his college loans until his presidency. Perhaps you may be the one who isn't informed. - I think I can handle it. Finally my new question is what are the exact names of the firms and are there plenty to go around? Maybe I should just wait until i'm actually in D.C this summer to ask qualified professionals this question but I thought this web side esp. this thread would be feasible in this regard.


Good God man... I'm so glad people like you exist to make me feel better about myself.

Brownadam26
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 am

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby Brownadam26 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:43 pm

I rest my case !! :_)

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby Bankhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Brownadam26 wrote:You each have a few good points but I'm quite sure 100k jobs are still feasibly expected depending on your route. 99% of people going to law school do not intend on a 100k + job because some people want to go into public interest so your point is nullfied. Also the reason I believe I'm well connected is because of my preexisting network which i'm hopeful will grant me an internship in congress or a large DC firm. Of course these networks will strengthen this summer when I choose where I'm interning. Again I'm trying to be respectable but I've seriously been interested in law a long time so please don't assume I havent.
For your info I guess I can tell you my LSAT and GPA however that's not relevant since my question is what are the corporate possibilities after and during law school! Like I said I've been interested in this law thing a while and I've called firms in ATL asking what they're looking for in associates. I got in contact with the director of hiring at prestigious firms in ATL but like I said my heart is set in D.C for some reason. Also I've connected with JD/MBA candidates (translates into corporate law) students in some D.C schools already who have informed me about what it takes to write on the law review and law journal at a particular school. Thus I'm preparing for the vigour now. Umm i'm not infering i'm a JD/MBA candidate, i'm a poly sci & histroy major and that's all you need to know.
About your inquiry about the economy/loans- At some law schools I've learned that the bigger investment = the highest reward. Obama even paid his college loans until his presidency. Perhaps you may be the one who isn't informed. - I think I can handle it. Finally my new question is what are the exact names of the firms and are there plenty to go around? Maybe I should just wait until i'm actually in D.C this summer to ask qualified professionals this question but I thought this web side esp. this thread would be feasible in this regard.


This writing is miserable. I can't follow it.

You need to learn to write succinctly, as successful law students and lawyers do.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's a flame...

Brownadam26
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:33 am

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby Brownadam26 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:59 am

I will edit it please don't flame me.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby edgarderby » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:06 am

Brownadam26 wrote:Dear anyone
I'm sure I want to go to law school and I'm positive I'd like to make at least 100k +



hahahhahaha

Me too bro', me too.

auntiannies
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:37 pm

Re: Legal Employment in D.C

Postby auntiannies » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:42 am

LMFAO..where do i start

Brownadam26 wrote:You each have a few good points but I'm quite sure 100k jobs are still feasibly expected depending on your route. 99% of people going to law school do not intend on a 100k + job because some people want to go into public interest so your point is nullfied.


...im pretty sure no person on this planet thinks "my life goal is to spend all this money and hard work..psh skrew 100k i want to make 20k for a living! "

Brownadam26 wrote:For your info I guess I can tell you my LSAT and GPA however that's not relevant since my question is what are the corporate possibilities after and during law school!


what are you talking about??? how do you come to a thread asking for advice and getting mad because you arent getting the answers you want...how the hell do you expect advice from complete strangers that know absolutely nothing of your education status, knowledge, or anything on that matter to help you lmfao! or are u afraid to say what your GPA is...

Brownadam26 wrote:Like I said I've been interested in this law thing a while and I've called firms in ATL asking what they're looking for in associates. I got in contact with the director of hiring at prestigious firms in ATL but like I said my heart is set in D.C for some reason. Also I've connected with JD/MBA candidates (translates into corporate law) students in some D.C schools already who have informed me about what it takes to write on the law review and law journal at a particular school. Thus I'm preparing for the vigour now. Umm i'm not infering i'm a JD/MBA candidate, i'm a poly sci & histroy major and that's all you need to know.


?????? what does any of this have to do with working in DC...DC + ATL = WTF....its like saying if i get alot of water from the ocean i can get just as much from the desert! they are two completely different places with completely different standards and requirements

Brownadam26 wrote:About your inquiry about the economy/loans- At some law schools I've learned that the bigger investment = the highest reward. Obama even paid his college loans until his presidency. Perhaps you may be the one who isn't informed. - I think I can handle it. Finally my new question is what are the exact names of the firms and are there plenty to go around? Maybe I should just wait until i'm actually in D.C this summer to ask qualified professionals this question but I thought this web side esp. this thread would be feasible in this regard.


Im pretty sure mommy and daddy wont cover your entire expenses throughout your whole grad school law school or any other kind of school lifetime so there WILL be debt added onto your taxes living expenses housing clothing food insurances or whatever else it may be..so hop off that high horse in the clouds and face reality which you've probably never met yet and start thinking realistically...you just may hit that 100k eventually but you'll be running through the many ranks of brown nosing and butt busting first and this takes time and thats a MAYBE depending on the economy..if you're worthy to the firm...or you get lucky and not bump into someone smarter than you...anyways..good luck :)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.