I still haven't applied for any 1L summer jobs yet...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: I still haven't applied for any 1L summer jobs yet...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't worry. I started applying to federal judicial externships yesterday and only sent them via email...got 2 interviews set up on the same day I sent out my applications, had my first interview today, and got the job at my first interview. I accepted the job immediately. Some federal judges are still hiring. I only sent out 10 applications total too btw.

School range? HYS?

Michigan. Fwiw, I don't live in a big city. I live in the West in a mid-sized city. I think a big plus for the quick turn-around was because the judge already had a law clerk from Michigan and he had a REALLY good impression of the law clerk/school.

I called beforehand about emailing application materials. Most said that emailing was fine and some preferred emailing to snail mail. I was also a Mich summer starter so I also had (slightly above median) grades to bring to the interview as well, although I don't think the grades mattered that much in the end. I would recommend calling beforehand to see if they prefer emailing or snail mail though, as emailing allows for a much quicker turn-around.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:52 pm

i've now sent out more than 75 letters to firms, judges, and corporations, though to be fair more than 50 were sent this week.

nothing but dings and "wait for grades" so far.

i heard back from one fed district judge within 48 hours. he was already full.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:34 pm

I'm HYS, I've sent out 60+ apps (mostly firms, some PI) and have only heard back positively from 1 (negatively from 4), the positive being a PI job and the negatives being firms.

To be fair, I sent them out late (at least for firms; starting about 12/20).

I've starting reaching to "secondary" markets (at least for HYS students). We'll see how that goes. I actually wouldn't mind working somewhere like WI or IA.

It's tough out there. I'll keep you guys posted on what I hear from firms as the holidays wind down (I expect the 4th to begin the bloodbath).

I am considering applying to judicial externships, as they seem great, but no pay + not being covered by public interest funding is brutal. I have bills.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:31 am

Makes me feel better about sending out 40 or so apps in the last two weeks.

Though I highly doubt that any JAA or law clerks are up for even thinking about internship applications right now. Probably taking it easy for the holidays or... writing 90-page pre-trial opinions (aka this).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:40 am

Yeah, I received a bunch of "Out of office" messages.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Makes me feel better about sending out 40 or so apps in the last two weeks.

Though I highly doubt that any JAA or law clerks are up for even thinking about internship applications right now. Probably taking it easy for the holidays or... writing 90-page pre-trial opinions (aka this).

You might be right, but I got two phone calls this week to schedule interviews so not everyone is kicking back at home.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:38 am

I will have 50 or so out in the next week, but I'm applying to small PI organizations (IE, not the ACLU) that will not hire until spring. I hope to line up my job at the NYU PILC fair in February.

For local PI, I was told that January is fine. I may also be able to stay on at my current internship, since I'll be there again next semester. Truth be told, I don't think I look great on paper. I am way better off asking 2L friends for direct assistance, since I don't know that anyone will hire me on the strength of my current academic credentials. If my grades are good, they will help me a ton, but the hurdle will be getting the interview at this stage in the game. I'm looking forward to table talk, because I feel like I can make a better impression in person (still nervous about the effects of my UG, major, and WE).

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:39 am

OperaSoprano wrote:I will have 50 or so out in the next week, but I'm applying to small PI organizations (IE, not the ACLU) that will not hire until spring. I hope to line up my job at the NYU PILC fair in February.

For local PI, I was told that January is fine. I may also be able to stay on at my current internship, since I'll be there again next semester. Truth be told, I don't think I look great on paper. I am way better off asking 2L friends for direct assistance, since I don't know that anyone will hire me on the strength of my current academic credentials. If my grades are good, they will help me a ton, but the hurdle will be getting the interview at this stage in the game. I'm looking forward to table talk, because I feel like I can make a better impression in person (still nervous about the effects of my UG, major, and WE).

I think this is a great plan, actually. I sent out a few apps that were reaches, hoping they'd pan out, but if they don't I'll be looking to the PILC fair to help me out.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:47 am

Renzo wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I will have 50 or so out in the next week, but I'm applying to small PI organizations (IE, not the ACLU) that will not hire until spring. I hope to line up my job at the NYU PILC fair in February.

I think this is a great plan, actually. I sent out a few apps that were reaches, hoping they'd pan out, but if they don't I'll be looking to the PILC fair to help me out.

Meh, nothing is a reach for you. You shall be good. BTW, do you still want the sewing machine?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:48 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Renzo wrote:

Meh, nothing is a reach for you. You shall be good. BTW, do you still want the sewing machine?

I was actually just about to FB you re. that... YES!

Edit: oh, and HA! I'm the biggest poser in all of the T14. But as long as they don't figure that out until after I have a job, it's all good.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:56 am

Renzo wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Renzo wrote:

I was actually just about to FB you re. that... YES!

Edit: oh, and HA! I'm the biggest poser in all of the T14. But as long as they don't figure that out until after I have a job, it's all good.

Hey, I'm the only one allowed to make ridiculous statements about personal merit. :lol: :mrgreen: I'll be back in the city on the 5th, and you can pick it up whenever you like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I have strong ties to a secondary market, sent my resumes to all the NALP firms in the region (about 35) at the start of December, have had one callback interview and two "send grades" requests.

(attend T10 school, not in the state I am seeking employment)

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:30 pm

I sent out personalized cover letters and resumes in mid-December to about 30 NALP firms and have a five or so interviews scheduled shortly after the 1st of the year ... I have received a dozen "we are very impressed with your resume, please send us an updated transcript once fall grades are received." Only time will tell.

I have also held off on mailing out my packet of information to respective federal judges for a judicial externship in light of having aleady received a handful of interview requests. Nevertheless, I "cautiously" plan to send these out tomorrow.

Return to “Legal Employment”