Judicial Internships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Judicial Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm hoping some people can shed light on judicial internships for 1L summer.

My first question is whether offers are usually made on the spot (like clerkships), or if they take some time.

My second question is whether I should take a position if offered one or wait and see if other options pan out.

Basically, I have an interview coming up soon. I understand chances are probably still better than not that I do not get an offer, but in case I do, I want to be prepared.

The main dilemma would be whether to accept, or wait for something "better," especially since judicial internships don't pay and my school does not fund them. The money isn't a dealbreaker (I can make it work), but obviously I'd prefer to get paid (or summer-funded through school - they do this for government positions) if at all possible.

In terms of the actual job, I would probably prefer federal government jobs, but I'd be pretty happy interning for a judge as well.

Some more information: Internship is with a judge in a big district (think SDNY, CDCA, NDIL, etc). I'm at a T6, no grades yet, but have solid work experience and brand-name undergrad. The other places I applied are a bunch of federal government positions (DOJ, Federal Reserve, FTC, etc.), firms (not expecting anything), state and local gov't (DAs, AGs, etc.) and a few in-house positions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judicial Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My first question is whether offers are usually made on the spot (like clerkships), or if they take some time.


Mine came on the spot, and I accepted on the spot.

Anonymous User wrote:My second question is whether I should take a position if offered one or wait and see if other options pan out.


I'd jump at it, they're hard to get and cream of the crop in terms of resume building. Yeah, not getting paid sucks, but if it's a deal breaker why are you applying?

Anonymous User wrote:Some more information: Internship is with a judge in a big district (think SDNY, CDCA, NDIL, etc). I'm at a T6, no grades yet, but have solid work experience and brand-name undergrad.


That's about the same situation I was in, and I was offered on the spot (pre-1L grades) at the interview and went with it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judicial Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:12 am

Not the OP, but wanted to post in this thread for efficiency's sake - do clerks/JAAs usually let you know whether you'll be interviewed/dinged via e-mail, telephone, or other? I'm planning on sticking around near my LS for the summer and sent applications to nearby judges, but am currently at home and just hoping that they're not dinging via snail mail or anything.

Much appreciated.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judicial Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:57 am

I never heard back from some, got dings via email and interview requests via email & phone.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273182
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Judicial Internships

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not the OP, but wanted to post in this thread for efficiency's sake - do clerks/JAAs usually let you know whether you'll be interviewed/dinged via e-mail, telephone, or other? I'm planning on sticking around near my LS for the summer and sent applications to nearby judges, but am currently at home and just hoping that they're not dinging via snail mail or anything.

Much appreciated.


All my answers so far have been via email and phone.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.