Importance of writing sample for 1L Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RVP11

Gold

Importance of writing sample for 1L

Post by RVP11 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:15 pm

I've been tweaking and revising my writing sample, a 10 page memo from LRW, for a few days now.

I still feel like it could benefit from a few weeks' more work, but I'm eager to send out judicial internship apps this week to give any interested judge a chance to interview me while I'm still in my hometown. So I suppose my question is: how much importance do employers place on a 1L's writing sample? Am I wasting time making revisions that aren't necessarily making the memo any better in the eyes of someone who doesn't understand the full background of the memo topic? I feel like, at this point, most 1L writing samples are just going to be about the same quality.

steve_nash

Bronze

Re: Importance of writing sample for 1L

Post by steve_nash » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:19 pm

I got hired by a federal judge who never looked at my writing sample. Granted, I had my grades at that point. I don't know how much weight every employer gives to writing samples, but if I had to guess, it'd be "very little."

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:46 pm

steve_nash wrote:I got hired by a federal judge who never looked at my writing sample. Granted, I had my grades at that point. I don't know how much weight every employer gives to writing samples, but if I had to guess, it'd be "very little."
+1. I didn't even have grades. I wouldn't send a writing sample for 1L summer employment unless the judge specifically asks for it (but bring a copy to your interview even if they don't ask ahead of time).

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:11 pm

As long as it's somewhat well written I think is enough, considering the employer doesn't actually know what the assignment called for anyway.

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:35 pm

isn't editing your memo before submitting it as a writing sample against most of the rules? at least unethical? it kind of pisses me off to read this

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:03 pm

drew wrote:isn't editing your memo before submitting it as a writing sample against most of the rules? at least unethical? it kind of pisses me off to read this
Unless the employer/judge asks for a sample of your written work specifically prepared for a law school class (I had one firm 2L year ask for this), I don't think editing your own writing sample after the class is over would be unethical. It's still your own work product, and it reflects your own writing ability.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Our LRW instructors specifically offered their assistance for revising our memos AFTER we'd turned them in. So no.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm curious about this as well. For me, I have everything ready except a writing sample, so I'm not sure if I'll just send a cover letter and resume without a writing sample and simply bring it to the interview.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:48 pm

drew wrote:isn't editing your memo before submitting it as a writing sample against most of the rules? at least unethical? it kind of pisses me off to read this
What? It's practically expected! I cut mine to 1/3 the length, altered pieces of analysis, fixed citations, had 'discussion omitted' tags, etc. Hasn't been a problem thus far.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Editing your own paper is acceptable--in fact it's a necessity (I wouldn't suggest turning in a stream of consciousness writing sample :) ). Some firms want a sample that hasn't been edited by anyone besides you (I've seen 1-2 so far). Most firms have no guidelines on this from (Based on my personal experience so far).

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:18 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:Our LRW instructors specifically offered their assistance for revising our memos AFTER we'd turned them in. So no.
Put that in the fail column for me. I think the first app I read (DOJ or USAO, I believe) explicitly stated unedited and I applied that to the rest of my apps. Ours haven't been graded yet, so I'm certain the profs didn't extend the same offer to us. Woe is me.

[/summer employment]

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:51 pm

drew wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Our LRW instructors specifically offered their assistance for revising our memos AFTER we'd turned them in. So no.
Put that in the fail column for me. I think the first app I read (DOJ or USAO, I believe) explicitly stated unedited and I applied that to the rest of my apps. Ours haven't been graded yet, so I'm certain the profs didn't extend the same offer to us. Woe is me.

[/summer employment]
Even in that context, I would read "unedited" as "not edited by someone other than yourself" unless the job posting specifically requires you submit the actual paper from a class.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:56 am

drew wrote:

[/summer employment]
Unedited really means they want a full work under whatever page limitation they have. Not a 20 page memo of which you only submit 8 pages to make the cut-off. Nobody wants the first draft of your work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drew

Bronze

Post by drew » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:14 am

worldtraveler wrote:
drew wrote:

[/summer employment]
Unedited really means they want a full work under whatever page limitation they have. Not a 20 page memo of which you only submit 8 pages to make the cut-off. Nobody wants the first draft of your work.
I guess memos differ significantly from school to school. Ours was essentially the semester grade in LRW and, thus, was certainly not our first drafts.

The prospective employer is looking to glean an understanding of what he/she can expect from your "work product" (to use a prior poster's words) and I suspect they would prefer an exact replica of the memo you alone wrote and turned in for a grade. Your LRW prof isn't going to be making comments on whatever writing assignments the prospective employer requires of you.

I read unedited to mean exactly what you turned in.

[edit: which appears to be a completely erroneous reading]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:12 pm

drew wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:
drew wrote:

[/summer employment]
I guess memos differ significantly from school to school. Ours was essentially the semester grade in LRW and, thus, was certainly not our first drafts.

The prospective employer is looking to glean an understanding of what he/she can expect from your "work product" (to use a prior poster's words) and I suspect they would prefer an exact replica of the memo you alone wrote and turned in for a grade. Your LRW prof isn't going to be making comments on whatever writing assignments the prospective employer requires of you.

I read unedited to mean exactly what you turned in.

[edit: which appears to be a completely erroneous reading]
I'm pretty sure if it says unedited then you can't use the sample with professor feedback. Unedited means unedited. (but obviously you yourself edited it). If the job doesn't specify, as many of them don't, then use the one with professor feedback. That's my take and what I'm doing.

ben1185

New

Post by ben1185 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:12 pm

I'm pretty sure if it says unedited then you can't use the sample with professor feedback. Unedited means unedited. (but obviously you yourself edited it). If the job doesn't specify, as many of them don't, then use the one with professor feedback. That's my take and what I'm doing.
My bad... guess i hit anonymous quote by accident... sorry...

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:26 pm

I made minor edits to my LRW memo and have used that with all my applications. Considering that I won't be receiving feedback from my instructor for several more weeks, I didn't have much of a choice :?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:45 pm

It depends on the judge. The judge who hired me said he only perused my writing sample.

verdandi

New

Post by verdandi » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:14 pm

Old topic but I thought I'd warn some of you out there: I just got dinged from a district judge because my writing sample had a few errors (she even commented on inconsistency in SPACING between words, so they are sticklers!). The assistant who let me know about the ding said the writing sample was the most important piece of the application. Just so you know: some judges definitely care. A lot.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:44 pm

I talked with one federal office that said they make offers based almost exclusively on quality of writing sample, and that they passed the samples around the office for several attorneys to read before making a decision. I also talked with a biglaw hiring partner who said that he felt they can only hurt and never help, so never volunteer one. He said that if he sees a really good one, he assumes that it's gone through several rounds of revision and feedback over a long period, and if it's bad then it's bad.

I guess the bottom line is make sure you have a good one, and don't volunteer it.

como

Silver

Post by como » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm pretty sure you can get your foot in the door with a resume and cover letter now, then they will contact you for a writing sample later. Not 100% on that, but I remember reading it in some career service communiqué.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:01 pm

Renzo wrote:I talked with one federal office that said they make offers based almost exclusively on quality of writing sample, and that they passed the samples around the office for several attorneys to read before making a decision. I also talked with a biglaw hiring partner who said that he felt they can only hurt and never help, so never volunteer one. He said that if he sees a really good one, he assumes that it's gone through several rounds of revision and feedback over a long period, and if it's bad then it's bad.

I guess the bottom line is make sure you have a good one, and don't volunteer it.
What's annoying is that since we still don't have grades, I still haven't gotten any feedback on my writing sample. The sample I used to apply for every job. FML.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”