judicial externship during semesters Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
frost

Bronze

judicial externship during semesters

Post by frost » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:36 pm

I want to work for a judge during a school semester and not during the summer. I've been getting sent in circles betwen my school's career office and externship office, so I thought I'd get some better answers on TLS. If I want to intern or extern for a judge during the fall or spring semester, how do I go about it? Is it also sending mass letters to different judges? When do I start sending letters out and when can I expect to hear back?

Thanks!

dresden doll

Platinum

Re: judicial externship during semesters

Post by dresden doll » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:43 pm

My school's deadline for a spring externship was sometime in October, IIRC. In retrospect, I'm a little sorry I didn't go for it.

chadwick218

Silver

Re: judicial externship during semesters

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:47 pm

frost wrote:I want to work for a judge during a school semester and not during the summer. I've been getting sent in circles betwen my school's career office and externship office, so I thought I'd get some better answers on TLS. If I want to intern or extern for a judge during the fall or spring semester, how do I go about it? Is it also sending mass letters to different judges? When do I start sending letters out and when can I expect to hear back?

Thanks!
To start with, it is probably too late for the spring semester. With respect to the summer semesters, if your school has a clerkship database, that would be a good place to start. I really won't get into all of the details of applyiny, but check to see if your school has any particular rules that must be followed. Otherwise, it is pretty much all up ... start by sending a cover letter / resumes to as many judges as possible. If you really want an externship, I would start at the state level as you are more likely to get an externship with a state trial court or state court of appeals than a federal district court and certainly any federal court of appeals. If you are interested in an externship for the summer, then start sending resumes out now!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”