Question about 1L summer jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschool7777

Question about 1L summer jobs

Postby lawschool7777 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:15 pm

I am about to start applying for a 1L summer job. However, I can't seem to find a website/job bank which lists judges who will be hiring summer clerks. How should I go about applying for these positions (assuming that they exist)? Should I just send a cover letter and resume to every judge in my target market? Thanks.

Also, please spare me any criticism on just starting the job search now. My Career Services Office told us not to bother doing it until break because in our market, employers won't look at your resume until they see your fall grades.

ggocat

Re: Question about 1L summer jobs

Postby ggocat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:35 pm

lawschool7777 wrote:I am about to start applying for a 1L summer job. However, I can't seem to find a website/job bank which lists judges who will be hiring summer clerks. How should I go about applying for these positions (assuming that they exist)? Should I just send a cover letter and resume to every judge in my target market? Thanks.

Also, please spare me any criticism on just starting the job search now. My Career Services Office told us not to bother doing it until break because in our market, employers won't look at your resume until they see your fall grades.

Yep, just send the resume and cover letter. You can get names/addresses from court websites. If you don't want to waste your money/time preparing applications, you could call ahead first. But I preferred to just send the letters out and not have to keep track of who was hiring and who wasn't. Some judges don't regularly hire interns and just pick from the resumes that come through the door.

You also don't need grades for many judges (they will request grades if they want them).

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:36 pm

8)

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:16 pm

I would send out your resume and cover letter. That's what I did, and it worked. My school provided a spread sheet of judges. If your school doesn't, check out OSCAR.

Return to “Legal Employment”