Balancing different offers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Balancing different offers

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:08 pm

hey guys,

So I'm a 1L at a T10 thinking about next summer. I've already emailed my desired market's 15 largest firms (only 5 responses so far - all not hiring), sent letters to 40 judges (two not hiring responses, no word from the others) and despite the lack of success I'm still optimistic.

My question involves what to do should I actually get hired by one of them. I am pretty sure that the firms won't yield anything, but I am applying to a 30 or so firm diversity program which wouldn't make their law firm job offer decision until March. By then I figure one of my judicial internship letters will have panned out (if I don't hear anything by mid-January I might send another 20-30 to another nearby market).

So my question is: how bad does it look if I had a job offer from a judge, but then got an SA gig through a diversity program and left the judge hanging? Is that a reputation killer? Should I just suck it up and accept with the judge rightaway rather than gamble on the diversity program?

If anyone has faced a similar situation or has any general advice I would be very appreciative. Thanks.

Re: Balancing different offers

Postby RVP11 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:29 pm

When a judge gives you an offer, you have to ask the judge. Some won't care if you later turn down the offer because you got a firm gig. Some will ask you to stop your summer job search.

Re: Balancing different offers

Postby linquest » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:26 pm

My school's Career Services told us about 18 times not to do this because of the "reputation killer" thing. We also had a strict policy that if you got a judicial internship through our program, you had to immediately stop your job search and notify all employers with pending applications that you had accepted an offer, so you might check with your CSO. Generally, it's considered bad form to continue a hunt after you've accepted an offer (in and out of the legal industry), but I've seen other advice to the contrary on similar threads. I think your best bet, as the last poster suggested, is to be frank with the judge and ask him/her when they give you an offer.

(No need to make the OP anon, BTW)

Return to “Legal Employment”