Small Law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OG Loc

Bronze

Small Law?

Post by OG Loc » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 pm

0L here. I have decided that I would be happy, compensation-wise, making around 50 grand to start my law career. Unless I can sneak into a T14 (which my GPA will probably prevent), the debt I will be taking on will be low enough to pay back in 10 years and live comfortably enough on that much. Obviously biglaw! firms and similarly competitive public outfits are covered pretty thoroughly on these boards, through NALP stats, firm websites, etc. But I have a pretty muddy picture of what everything else is like; ie. small/midsize firms, local/state government, public interest org.'s that aren't as high profile...the types of employers that don't necessarily expect top grades from elite schools.

What concerns me is not the lower pay, but the opportunity at this level to get involved in interesting work and develop my career. While I would be happy making moderate money if that were the case, I would not be happy if I had to work for some personal injury or DWI defense clown. As a former civil engineer, I am interested in environmental, energy, construction, and intellectual property law, among other things, but I'm worried that this and other kinds of interesting work is largely handled by prestige firms, while the smaller guys have to hustle for any work they can get. If I put my networking in, attend a respectable enough school, and do respectably well there, will there be anything out there to make law school worth it (under my definition)? Let's assume, for discussion's sake, that the economy will improve.

Any general or specific advice would be appreciated, as I am hoping this thread can be useful to others besides me, as it relates to the prestige v. cost dilemma of school selection that most 0L's deal with. Thanks.

OG Loc

Bronze

Re: Small Law?

Post by OG Loc » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:02 pm

Bump....

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”