1L Summer Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby CE2JD » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:47 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:3 of the 12 firms I sent to have done their first round of cuts already. I know that's a tiny sample, but YES it is too late for at least some firms.


I'm not sure which firms you applied to, but I'm under the impression most firms don't have 1st cut deadlines. Obviously they'll consider your application if they still haven't filled their needs. So until they fill their needs, I think you still have a chance. The problem is that many firms interview and hire 1L summer associates before grades are released. So you have to apply early to these firms to have a shot.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby Objection » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 pm

Those who plan to look for Federal Clerkships/Internships, make sure any public interest funding your school offers covers them.

HLS, unfortunately, does not cover federal internships. Which sucks, because they really sound awesome. I just couldn't swing not getting paid. I have rent.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273424
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:02 pm

Are most 1L summer jobs paid/unpaid? I have some unpaid opportunities this summer and have been told that paid 1l summers are rare, especially now. I am trying to decide what to do.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are most 1L summer jobs paid/unpaid? I have some unpaid opportunities this summer and have been told that paid 1l summers are rare, especially now. I am trying to decide what to do.

Paid 1L opportunities are rare.

Exceptions:
1) Diversity programs
2) Small market "biglaw" where you have a connection and/or plan to return after graduation (if you go to a national school).

Also, although large companies don't usually hire in-house counsel straight from law school after graduation, many of them do hire summer law "clerks" for their in-house departments, including 1L's. These jobs don't pay near as much as firm jobs, but they are paid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273424
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are most 1L summer jobs paid/unpaid? I have some unpaid opportunities this summer and have been told that paid 1l summers are rare, especially now. I am trying to decide what to do.

Paid 1L opportunities are rare.

Exceptions:
1) Diversity programs
2) Small market "biglaw" where you have a connection and/or plan to return after graduation (if you go to a national school).

Also, although large companies don't usually hire in-house counsel straight from law school after graduation, many of them do hire summer law "clerks" for their in-house departments, including 1L's. These jobs don't pay near as much as firm jobs, but they are paid.


Thanks, I suspected but wanted to check. I did apply to one company but haven't heard back. I am assuming I won't until my grades roll in.

ISquareJudd
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby ISquareJudd » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:20 pm

Whether or not you get paid over the summer is, in my opinion, not a call you can make. If your school's funding doesn't cover judicial internships, then get a job that is covered. If you really want to work for a judge, then apply for judges in your hometown, so you can bum of your parents for the summer.

User avatar
Objection
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 am

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby Objection » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:25 pm

ISquareJudd wrote:Whether or not you get paid over the summer is, in my opinion, not a call you can make. If your school's funding doesn't cover judicial internships, then get a job that is covered. If you really want to work for a judge, then apply for judges in your hometown, so you can bum of your parents for the summer.


My lease in Boston runs through the summer, and no subletting allowed :(

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: 1L Summer Jobs

Postby Bankhead » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Of course it's not too late to apply to law firms. I am sending out all of my apps on Monday. I'm sure that I will be rejected, but it won't be for applying at the end of December.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.