Federal Judge Internship for 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Federal Judge Internship for 1L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:54 pm

Looking for some opinions about how an internship with a federal judge over my 1L summer will look in my resume in the long run. My law school is ranked in the 70's on TLS, I am not sure about my gpa yet because I just took my first semester exams and I honestly haven't a clue about how I did on them. I realize that summer associate hiring is awful right now, but I do have a family connection to a federal judge who would probably let me intern with him. Is this the best way I can spend my 1L summer given the current economy? With my school not being ranked all that high I can't see myself even having a shot at a summer associateship somewhere even with stellar grades.

patrickd139

Re: Federal Judge Internship for 1L summer?

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am

Conventional wisdom on this site is going to be SA>>>Fed. Clerkship>>>>>>>>>>>All others.

HTH and good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:42 am

I (not OP) really wanted a firm job too, but have been discouraged by the total cold shoulder from firms thus far.

Yes, I know some hire into spring, but my hometown market, (same as school market) where I'm targeting...usually is done by early January.

I was holding off sending to federal and state judges because I wanted to at least try to get paid, but now I guess it's time to mail 'em in and hope I'm not too far behind the 8 ball.

otherwise its RA and census taker for the summer

pany1985

Postby pany1985 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:55 am

I feel like given the scarcity of the jobs right now, it makes sense for pretty much everyone at every law school to assume they won't be a SA during 1L summer. That goes double if you're not one of the types of person who could potentially benefit from the diversity programs that various firms have to bring in 1Ls.

Some people somewhere will get those few 1L SA gigs, but given the odds I'd assume against it and be happily surprised if you find something like that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:47 pm

I did an externship with a federal district judge in the summer after my 1L year. It was a mixed experience.

Before you accept a position with your family-friend judge, I would encourage you to try to get as clear a sense as possible of (1) what kind of work externs usually perform for this judge and (2) how much feedback and mentoring the externs in this judge's chambers typically receive.

Every judge is different, and the quality of externship experiences varies enormously from judge to judge.

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did an externship with a federal district judge in the summer after my 1L year. It was a mixed experience.

Before you accept a position with your family-friend judge, I would encourage you to try to get as clear a sense as possible of (1) what kind of work externs usually perform for this judge and (2) how much feedback and mentoring the externs in this judge's chambers typically receive.

Every judge is different, and the quality of externship experiences varies enormously from judge to judge.

First, I generally agree with this post. Second, a good JI may be the best 1L gig, outside of an SA at a firm that you know you would like to work for as a 2L, grad, rest of your life, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did an externship with a federal district judge in the summer after my 1L year. It was a mixed experience.

What kind of work do fed. judicial interns typically do?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What kind of work do fed. judicial interns typically do?

It depends on the judge, but usually (1) write memos and draft orders/opinions, (2) research simple issues and brief the clerks/judge orally, and/or (3) observe court proceedings and discuss with the clerks/judge.

Hdot

Postby Hdot » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:28 pm

I interned for a federal judge the summer of my 1L year and loved it. I do agree that it largely depends on the judge though, so be careful with that. One of the other judges there was known to be very rude/unfriendly to both their law clerk and intern. If you have a good interview, and you think the judge is the type of person you would like to be around for a summer, I think that it is only second to a SA position for your 1L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:55 pm

How does one locate federal judges who hire 1Ls?

ChattelCat

Postby ChattelCat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does one locate federal judges who hire 1Ls?

Your career services office probably has a list of judges that 1L's have worked for in previous years which is probably the best place to start because then you would have some feedback about what the judges were like. Otherwise every federal courthouse has its own website (e.g.http://www.ilnd.uscourts.gov/home/; http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/judges.php?show=district )
and they list all the judges and their contact info. I just targeted local courthouses and then sent to each judge. I suppose you could always call and ask if they're accepting applications from 1L's as well if you want to save yourself some paper.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does one locate federal judges who hire 1Ls?

Ask your career services office, call chambers, or just send the application.

Return to “Legal Employment”