Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:34 pm

There are other, "necessary" parts of the law school application that are obviously the most important. The actual application form, the personal statement, and any required addendums should always take first priority as they need to be polished and flawless. However, sometimes people have put in the work, got their apps ready, and are looking for any other way they can possibly get a little more edge on the competition. This is especially important for "reach" schools where you'll need all the help you can get in order to get admitted.

In another post on this board, How to write an effective addendum, I explained how to write an addendum that deals with discrepancies or concerns that have to be addressed in your application. However, those addenda deal with negative issues and are really just meant to meet disclosure standards and get thorny issues out of the way. There is an entirely different kind of addendum, and one that can give a positive edge to your application: The Why I Want To Attend X Law School addendum. Written effectively, this addendum can potentially set you apart and help you get into the schools you're most interested in.

WHEN YOU CAN WRITE A "WHY X" ADDENDUM

For some schools the answer to this is simple. Penn actually asks you to write at least one addendum to demonstrate writing and persuasive abilities, and offers a "Why Penn" option as one of the available choices. Cornell asks on their app why you want to attend their school in particular. While I haven't read through the applications of all 200 law schools nationwide, I wouldn't be surprised if there are several others that also bluntly ask you why you want to go there in particular.

But even if schools don't ask, that doesn't mean they don't accept them. Dean Trujillo of UVA Law had the following to say about such addendums in his TLS interview:

TLS: Could an applicant significantly improve his or her chances of admission by drafting a personal statement specifically for UVA, as opposed to a general personal statement that briefly mentions UVA, if at all?

We do have many applicants who draft very generic personal statements, and that can be fine. But we do have people stating they want to be at Virginia Law for a particular reason, and that can be persuasive. It need not be in the personal statement though, and can instead be part of an addendum.

TLS: Since UVA doesn't have an optional "why UVA?" essay, what are some good ways applicants can indicate a strong interest in UVA?

Applicants can and do submit “why UVA” essays all the time. We just do not specifically ask for them. I also get a number of “why X Law School” essays all the time, where X is (accidentally) not Virginia Law. That is a sure way to get yourself wait-listed or rejected.


Besides making the obvious point that you shouldn't submit a "Why Mich" essay to UVA Law, what this makes clear is that schools accept--and consider--such addendums even if they don't ask for them. Not only that, it raises an additional point, which is that many applicants want or are encouraged to mention their desire to go to a particular law school in their PS. If they do this, though, it takes away from the limited amount of space they have to talk about themselves. Moving these arguments to an addendum gives an applicant the full length of their PS to what's most important, showing their uniqueness and strengths.

The answer given time and again across the country is that you're free to submit an addendum with your application for any matter you consider important or that you feel needs explained, and that a Why X addendum qualifies. Unless the school specifically tells you otherwise--and so far I have never personally seen this--you can write an addendum explaining why you want to attend their particular law school if you desire to do so.

WHY TO WRITE A "WHY X" ADDENDUM

There's no guarantee that an addendum will get read even if you take the time write it. They may not get past your PS, or they may not even get past your GPA/LSAT score, before deciding to place your app in the reject pile. Such is life, and life is sad sometimes, and there's nothing you can do to change that outcome. You could have the greatest reason for attending X Law School in the world, and may never get read.

However, most people applying for a particular school are doing so because they have at least some chance of being admitted there. If you have numbers even within a certain range of what it takes to enroll at X Law, they'll start digging deeper into your application and trying to get a greater picture of how to weigh it as a whole. Every positive gives you more help in eventually getting in, and every negative holds you back a little more; given that, it's obvious you want to have as many positives as possible.

If you're submitting your application to X Law, and you believe (or at least hope) that they'll get all the way to the end, wouldn't you want to have something that could give you even a little extra help once they get that far? Of course you would. If your app is good enough to be admitted once they're done reading it, but they have a lot of other good applicants who're similar to you, then you're going to want whatever tiebreaker they use to go in your favor. That tiebreaker could be your Why X addendum, because it could show that unlike those other guys and gals, you really do want to go there in particular.

This is true for more than just people whose numbers are low or just at the median and they're looking for an edge to claw their way in. It also applies to people with really absurdly high numbers too, because of what's called yield protection. YP is a system where schools reject applicants because their application is so good that the applicant can obviously go to a better school. Why should X Law waste an acceptance on this person when they're obviously going to get into Harvard and go there?

(This also is done because it affects USNWR rankings. Schools want a high number of applicants and a low number of acceptances, because a low acceptance ratio makes them look good. This and the policy reasons behind it are beyond why I'm writing today, so I'm not going to go any further on it, I'm just making you aware that it exists, and there are certain ranges of schools that are notorious for doing it.)

Well, a Why X addendum can help here too. If someone can articulate specific reasons why they'd want to go to X Law instead of Harvard, X Law then has reason to believe they'll actually attend, and more incentive to admit them instead of YPing them to protect their admissions numbers. Thus if your numbers are really high for a school, and it's a school that's known to YP, it may make sense to let them know why you want to go there, to reduce your odds of becoming a victim of the larger admissions numbers game.

WHY TO NOT WRITE A "WHY X" ADDENDUM

There are valid arguments for why you shouldn't write a Why X addendum for a school. First of all, if you're just applying to a school because it's a safety or you got a fee waiver, and you can't bring yourself to research specific things to write about in a Why X addendum, don't write one. A bad essay is going to be worse than no essay, because it will probably make clear how much you don't care whether or not you get accepted there. You're better off not saying anything in that case!

Second, if you're applying ED, a Why X addendum is redundant. Applying ED tells them you're certain to go there if accepted, and with that already true they won't care why. In a sense, applying ED is the ultimate Why X essay, with an action that says more than a 500 word addendum ever could. If it's early enough, you're sure it's the school of your dreams, and your numbers aren't good enough to get scholarship money, you're better off applying ED than trying to write a Why X addendum.

Lastly, there are a few schools that are so prestigious that they already know why you want to attend. Harvard Law is not a good place to send an addendum like this. Everyone and their dog wants to go to HLS, it doesn't need explanation, the reasons for wanting to go are so obvious to everyone there's no point in writing an addendum about it. Practically everyone who applies would actually go there if accepted, so there's no advantage to spending an extra sheet of paper trying to tell them you would too. The "Top 6" schools are so prestigious they're in a class by themselves, and they know it.

Really, the Why X addendum is mainly worth it when you want to avoid YP, or for schools you consider "reach" schools, that you do have a chance to get into but need what help you can get. Every applicant should have at least a couple realistic "reach" schools, the ones they're most hoping and praying to get into, and the ones they're likely to feel the most eager to attend. That feeling is what you want to convey in your Why X addendum. If they like your numbers enough to read that far, you want them to see your enthusiasm in the hopes it'll make them like you that much more.

The more they like you, the more likely they are to accept you. But what can you say to make them like you more as an applicant?

WHAT TO SAY IN A "WHY X" ADDENDUM

The first thing you need to do is show them that you have a specific interest in their law school. There is one really strong way to do this, and that's to actually visit X Law, do a self-guided tour (or a guided one if it's offered), and meet and talk with students or professors (if that's allowed and you can arrange it). Then you have some pretty clear things you can write about, and saying something positive about the school that includes something that shows you took time to give them a real look, which tells them your interest is probably genuine:

Sample language 1 wrote:I visited the X Law campus on October 13, 2009, and was impressed by what I saw. Having an interest in public interest law, I stopped in the Hoover Public Interest Center to ask a couple questions, and ended up having a 20-minute conversation with Director Skinner! He was very helpful and encouraging, and we spoke in particular about volunteer opportunities with local organizations such as the X Domestic Violence Project. I am excited about the opportunities the Hoover Center will offer me as a student.


Obviously, the more you get out of your visit, the more you can write about, but if you had a good experience visiting it only takes a few short lines to show just how much you really want to go there. Naming specific people you spoke with and things you learned about helps cement that you took time out of your own life to learn something about the school.

But what if you can't visit? X Law may be across the country, and if you're a poor loan-burdened undergrad you might not be able to afford that trip. That's where the power of The Internet comes in. While you don't want to write something cheap and ripped off their website's welcome page, hopefully you've done some research into the school before applying and you have some idea what kind of strengths it has. You can go dig more into those strengths and then write about them.

For example:

Sample language 2 wrote:I am especially eager to attend X Law because of its accomplishment in placing graduates in federal clerkships. I see that X Law placed 18% of its graduates last year into clerkships, far higher than numbers at peer schools, and that they recently appointed a separate Clerkships Director to assist students who want a clerking experience when they graduate. I know a few lawyers and they have all strongly recommended I seek a clerkship when I graduate for the experience it will bring me and its value on my resume. I would love attending X Law not only for the great education it will provide but for the special assistance it will be able to provide in finding a clerkship when I graduate.


This is very specific and talks about why the school fits the student's specific goal, and all it took to write was some research. Specifically, the writer would have to know 1) that they're interested in a specific thing like clerkships, 2) X Law's clerkship placement numbers, 3) clerkship placement numbers at peer schools, 4) that X Law recently created a Clerkships Director position. #1 comes from the writer's own interest, #s 2 and 3 come from readily available online statistics, and #4 is the kind of news or fact that would be advertised on the law school's own website.

All it takes is some interest in a specific area of law and a little time to dig into what that school offers. This doesn't even have to be about post-graduation numbers; most people who go to law school end up going in wanting to do one thing and graduate with a job doing something else entirely. However, people still have interests going in that they'll want to explore, and ways the law school offers to explore it are good things to show interest in.

If you're interested in criminal law, you can talk about how you want to try out the school's Prosecution Clinic or Indigent Defense Clinic. If you're interested in business law, you can talk about how you hope to take a class with the esteemed business law expert Professor Y who happens to teach at X Law. If this school is a reach school for you, and you're really eager to go there, hopefully there's some reason you want to go there so badly! Dig into it, get more details on the stuff you're interested in, and write about that.

Put as much as you have to say (in a single page) about the things in the school that interest you, and about how eager you are to go there. Be careful, though, not to say something as strong as "I will attend if accepted" if you're not sure you mean it. Eagerness is one thing, but making a commitment on paper could bite you. If you make a commitment to a school and then withdraw after they offer you a seat, that represents a bad ethical choice and something that could look very bad to another school or the bar if they found out. Besides, if you're that committed to attending, apply ED instead! Otherwise, you want to convey your eagerness as much as possible without making promises you're not sure you'll keep.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER: A SAMPLE "WHY X" ADDENDUM

The ideal addendum should spend up to a full page connecting your own interests with specific programs or opportunities available at the school you're attending. While it should not be copied or relied on too strongly, the following is an example of what a full-length Why X addendum may look like:

Sample Why X addendum wrote:Addendum: Why I Want To Attend X School of Law

Having grown up in an impoverished neighborhood and witnessing the struggles of families that can't afford legal representation, it has long been my desire to become a Public Interest lawyer and work to bring legal aid to those who need it most and afford it least. It is this strong desire that makes me want to attend X School of Law.

I am impressed by the strength of the clinics that X Law offers and the way those clinics allow students to help the community even before graduating. I am particularly interested in the school's Juvenile Justice and Outreach Clinic, which provides legal education to area high school students and pro bono legal services to arrested juveniles. Having personally witnessed friends caught up in the criminal justice system with no one to show them a way out, I am eager to participate in this clinic and try to make a positive difference in helping troubled teens become productive and law-abiding adults.

I am also impressed by the strength of X Law's student organizations. The presence of organizations such as Law Students for Racial Equality shows that I will be surrounded by peers sharing my commitment to improving society through the law. I am especially impressed by the range of guest speakers such as Governor Marla Singer and US Supreme Court Justice Tyler Durden that LSRE has brought to the X Law campus in recent years.

Lastly I am impressed by X Law's commitment to helping students find Public Interest careers when they graduate. With 38% of X Law graduates going into PI work and a dedicated Public Interest Career Center available to students, it is clear that X Law has a commitment to helping students like me find rewarding public interest work upon graduation.

In closing, I believe that not only is X Law a good fit for me, but that I am also a good fit for X School of Law. If accepted, I would be eager to join the ranks of X Law students and graduates who have given back to the surrounding community through pro bono and public interest work.


IN CLOSING

There are times you shouldn't worry about a Why X addendum. If the school is "just a safety" to you, if you're sure you'll get in with your numbers anyway, it's not worth your time.

But the Why X addendum is a way to set yourself apart at schools you're really eager to attend. It could be the tiebreaker between you and someone who didn't say anything about why they want to attend the school. Showing that you've taken an actual interest in the school and what it offers could help you win adcomms over, which is important in a world where 6,000 applicants may be competing for 300 seats at your dream school and you may need every advantage you can get.

There are many steps the adcomms will take before getting to your Why X addendum. Your grades, LSAT score, and PS are all going to be looked at first, and if they're not solid it won't matter what an addendum says. But if those are solid, and they get past those, a really well-written and enthusiastic Why X addendum might just be the thing that makes you stand out when they're down to the final cut, and it's either you or some other guy.

User avatar
daniel5215
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby daniel5215 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:16 am

This is brilliant!!! I am currently drafting my why essays, and it helps!!

Illijah
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby Illijah » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:37 pm

why doesn't this have more comments?

Lucylwyr
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby Lucylwyr » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:50 am

I'm surprised there aren't more comments too, I think this is great! Thank you vanwinkle!

satori22
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby satori22 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:08 pm

Would a "why x" essay be a good idea for Harvard? Harvard seems to want a very streamlined application and I'm not sure if it will help to write it. However, right now I am sitting at a 172/4.0 and think it might help me a bit since with my LSAT score Harvard may be a bit of a stretch. What do you all think?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:17 am

satori22 wrote:Would a "why x" essay be a good idea for Harvard? Harvard seems to want a very streamlined application and I'm not sure if it will help to write it. However, right now I am sitting at a 172/4.0 and think it might help me a bit since with my LSAT score Harvard may be a bit of a stretch. What do you all think?


Harvard is one of the very few schools that you should NEVER write a Why X essay for. They know why you're applying. You're applying because it's Harvard. You won't impress them by telling them you know that.

User avatar
haole_20
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby haole_20 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:33 pm

Great post! Thank you so much. Is anyone else working on a Why Duke essay?

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:35 pm

tag

crm
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby crm » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:40 pm

If I am sure that I would attend if I got accepted, should I put that in? I know the OP said not to if you are not sure, but what if you are and could not apply ED?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:37 pm

crm wrote:If I am sure that I would attend if I got accepted, should I put that in? I know the OP said not to if you are not sure, but what if you are and could not apply ED?

Most definitely. "I will attend if accepted" is the strongest message you can send. Sometimes people apply after the ED deadline but they still want to convey that.

The thing is, you'd better mean it. Lying to a law school is not a good way to start your legal career.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:49 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
crm wrote:If I am sure that I would attend if I got accepted, should I put that in? I know the OP said not to if you are not sure, but what if you are and could not apply ED?

Most definitely. "I will attend if accepted" is the strongest message you can send. Sometimes people apply after the ED deadline but they still want to convey that.

The thing is, you'd better mean it. Lying to a law school is not a good way to start your legal career.


So, I already wrote and submitted my Why X for school X, but never explicitly said I'd attend if accepted. I did say I thought it was the best school for me in both a professional and personal capacity, however. Is there any way to still get that message across now that I've burned my Why X without saying it? Should I just sit tight and if I'm WL'ed send a LOCI that says I will?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:52 pm

barrinmb wrote:So, I already wrote and submitted my Why X for school X, but never explicitly said I'd attend if accepted. I did say I thought it was the best school for me in both a professional and personal capacity, however. Is there any way to still get that message across now that I've burned my Why X without saying it? Should I just sit tight and if I'm WL'ed send a LOCI that says I will?

If it is your first choice, go ahead and send a LOCI that says that now. You don't want to wait until you get WL'd as a general rule since it's often hard to get off a WL. For some schools a WL is just a very kind way of rejecting you.

I'd just send a LOCI saying you're still eagerly awaiting a decision and that you're now certain you will attend if accepted. You gotta place your bets before everyone shows their cards if you want any kind of payoff.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby stratocophic » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:55 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
barrinmb wrote:So, I already wrote and submitted my Why X for school X, but never explicitly said I'd attend if accepted. I did say I thought it was the best school for me in both a professional and personal capacity, however. Is there any way to still get that message across now that I've burned my Why X without saying it? Should I just sit tight and if I'm WL'ed send a LOCI that says I will?

If it is your first choice, go ahead and send a LOCI that says that now. You don't want to wait until you get WL'd as a general rule since it's often hard to get off a WL. For some schools a WL is just a very kind way of rejecting you.

I'd just send a LOCI saying you're still eagerly awaiting a decision and that you're now certain you will attend if accepted. You gotta place your bets before everyone shows their cards if you want any kind of payoff.


I like it. Thanks for the advice, vw.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby Veyron » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Please never write "in closing" after graduating from elementary school.\

edit: not that I'm one to talk with my mad spelling skillz but still...

crm
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby crm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:04 am

vanwinkle wrote:
crm wrote:If I am sure that I would attend if I got accepted, should I put that in? I know the OP said not to if you are not sure, but what if you are and could not apply ED?

Most definitely. "I will attend if accepted" is the strongest message you can send. Sometimes people apply after the ED deadline but they still want to convey that.

The thing is, you'd better mean it. Lying to a law school is not a good way to start your legal career.


awesome. thanks! Yea i mean it, but lets just see if they give me the acceptance..haha

crossingforHYS
Posts: 702
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby crossingforHYS » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 pm

tag...love the article...need to start on mine!

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby Deuce » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:29 am

About to start on mine. Tag.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby Tanicius » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:58 pm

I've been reading this over because I plan on submitting Why X? essays to Mich, Duke, and UVA. This contains some good advice when it comes to researching the school and making sure to mention specifics. It bears mentioning, though, that things other than a law school's programs can be fairly relevant. From interviews I've read of adcomms at Duke and Michigan it seems to me that they treasure honesty over everything else. If the reason you're interested in a school like Duke is because of the non-urban environment and good weather, I'm inclined to believe that's what they want to hear from you.


I do disagree with the idea that ED'ing to a school constitutes "the ultimate" Why X? essay. I don't think it does at all, and for this reason: Supplemental essays like "Why X?" serve as writing samples, at least generally for the schools that specifically ask for them. When you ED and disregard a Why X? essay you're just robbing yourself of another opportunity to convince the adcomm that you're not only serious about the school but that you can write well and have genuine reasons for wanting their school. Some schools very much do not want applicants who only apply because of the school's rank.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Tanicius wrote:I've been reading this over because I plan on submitting Why X? essays to Mich, Duke, and UVA. This contains some good advice when it comes to researching the school and making sure to mention specifics. It bears mentioning, though, that things other than a law school's programs can be fairly relevant. From interviews I've read of adcomms at Duke and Michigan it seems to me that they treasure honesty over everything else. If the reason you're interested in a school like Duke is because of the non-urban environment and good weather, I'm inclined to believe that's what they want to hear from you.


I do disagree with the idea that ED'ing to a school constitutes "the ultimate" Why X? essay. I don't think it does at all, and for this reason: Supplemental essays like "Why X?" serve as writing samples, at least generally for the schools that specifically ask for them. When you ED and disregard a Why X? essay you're just robbing yourself of another opportunity to convince the adcomm that you're not only serious about the school but that you can write well and have genuine reasons for wanting their school. Some schools very much do not want applicants who only apply because of the school's rank.


In regards to this, the basic argument consists of one camp saying "provide as much as possible as long as it's done well" and another camp saying "being brief is better." Of course adcomm interviews are going to seem like they are in favor of the former, they are attempting to seem holistic or even be holistic (when something counts for 5% or less of your application I wouldn't necessarily deem that holistic, but that is neither here nor there). But the reality of the matter is that numbers rule above all else (excluding schools notoriously known for liking softs). It will be hard to tell how much of a help an extra essay is when adcomm interviews are fairly disingenuous in regards to how their admissions process actually works.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby Tanicius » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I've been reading this over because I plan on submitting Why X? essays to Mich, Duke, and UVA. This contains some good advice when it comes to researching the school and making sure to mention specifics. It bears mentioning, though, that things other than a law school's programs can be fairly relevant. From interviews I've read of adcomms at Duke and Michigan it seems to me that they treasure honesty over everything else. If the reason you're interested in a school like Duke is because of the non-urban environment and good weather, I'm inclined to believe that's what they want to hear from you.


I do disagree with the idea that ED'ing to a school constitutes "the ultimate" Why X? essay. I don't think it does at all, and for this reason: Supplemental essays like "Why X?" serve as writing samples, at least generally for the schools that specifically ask for them. When you ED and disregard a Why X? essay you're just robbing yourself of another opportunity to convince the adcomm that you're not only serious about the school but that you can write well and have genuine reasons for wanting their school. Some schools very much do not want applicants who only apply because of the school's rank.


In regards to this, the basic argument consists of one camp saying "provide as much as possible as long as it's done well" and another camp saying "being brief is better." Of course adcomm interviews are going to seem like they are in favor of the former, they are attempting to seem holistic or even be holistic (when something counts for 5% or less of your application I wouldn't necessarily deem that holistic, but that is neither here nor there). But the reality of the matter is that numbers rule above all else (excluding schools notoriously known for liking softs). It will be hard to tell how much of a help an extra essay is when adcomm interviews are fairly disingenuous in regards to how their admissions process actually works.


You present a fair point. However, I have a hard time believing adcomms are going to punish applicants for doing what they suggest they do in interviews. Moreover, the schools that tend to specifically ask for supplemental essays are usually the schools that tend to actually read and consider them. For a school like Michigan especially, you are shooting your chances in the foot by applying ED without a Why Michigan essay.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby bk1 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:36 pm

Tanicius wrote:
You present a fair point. However, I have a hard time believing adcomms are going to punish applicants for doing what they suggest they do in interviews. Moreover, the schools that tend to specifically ask for supplemental essays are usually the schools that tend to actually read and consider them. For a school like Michigan especially, you are shooting your chances in the foot by applying ED without a Why Michigan essay.

True they won't punish them just for doing it but they may punish them for lack of originality. I mean how different can each why x essay be? After reading a bunch of them I bet they come off as disingenuous no matter how well written. Can a compelling one help? Sure it can, but I doubt most applicants can write one that is when there topic is so convergent.

Why the Michigan comment? Obviously submitting no additional essay is an auto ding considering one is mandatory, but I don't see why one must be a why Michigan.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby Tanicius » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
You present a fair point. However, I have a hard time believing adcomms are going to punish applicants for doing what they suggest they do in interviews. Moreover, the schools that tend to specifically ask for supplemental essays are usually the schools that tend to actually read and consider them. For a school like Michigan especially, you are shooting your chances in the foot by applying ED without a Why Michigan essay.

True they won't punish them just for doing it but they may punish them for lack of originality. I mean how different can each why x essay be? After reading a bunch of them I bet they come off as disingenuous no matter how well written. Can a compelling one help? Sure it can, but I doubt most applicants can write one that is when there topic is so convergent.

Why the Michigan comment? Obviously submitting no additional essay is an auto ding considering one is mandatory, but I don't see why one must be a why Michigan.


Well, no, you're right - Michigan tends to like supplemental essays in general and they don't seem to have a preference Essay Topic #1.

X_Soda
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 6:41 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby X_Soda » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Anyone have any effective sources to supplement university websites with when citing information in Why X essays? I'd like to give them numbers, facts, etc. about why I want to attend, but I don't want it to look like I just raided their website for an afternoon to get a bonus point or two..... even though that's essentially what I'm doing.

krad
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:33 am

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby krad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Awesome post. Thanks, vanwinkle!

padthai
Posts: 169
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Effective addendums part 2: The "Why X" addendum

Postby padthai » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:16 pm

What about sending in an Why X essay to prevent getting YPed?
I'm referring to the schools in the lower ranks of the top 14 that don't specifically ask for one or indicate the option to send additional addenda.
Last edited by padthai on Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Content Competitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest