What articles do you want written by fellow TLSers? Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Ken

Bronze

What articles do you want written by fellow TLSers?

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:21 pm

Dear TLS site users,

Please post articles that you would like to see written that other TLS site users can write about as entries into the contest. Anything that is missing on TLS that you would like to see would likely be valued by others as well.

For myself, I would really like to see TLS integrate video and I will soon be posting 2-3 minute videos of myself talking about getting a good letter or rec, writing a strong personal statement, crafting a strong LOCI, etc.. But I would love to see others posting videos on anything including LSAT tips, study tips, etc. Any videos (be sure to mention TLS and have the website with hyphens present) will definitely get prizes. Post them on Youtube and like to them from TLS.

What else would everyone like to see?

bumblebeetoona

New

Re: What articles do you want written by fellow TLSers?

Post by bumblebeetoona » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:29 pm

I'd like to see more info for non-trads. Seems like a subset that doesn't get enough love. If someone balancing a job and a family could write an article (or make a video) about how they got through the process, it would be awesomely helpful.

Gwen

Bronze

Post by Gwen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 pm

bumblebeetoona wrote:I'd like to see more info for non-trads. Seems like a subset that doesn't get enough love. If someone balancing a job and a family could write an article (or make a video) about how they got through the process, it would be awesomely helpful.
+1

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 pm

Transfer information. The Yahoo group is useful, but I think TLS can do better.

pjarron

New

Post by pjarron » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 pm

MrOrange wrote:Transfer information. The Yahoo group is useful, but I think TLS can do better.
+1 I would love more transfer information and I'm sure TLS can do better, not that the Yahoo group is bad, but TLS can do better I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks for the excellent idea. I agree that TLS needs to provide more information for both non-traditional students and particularly for transfer students.

The good news is that I talked to PK (who transferred from U. of Florida to Michigan) and he is going to help me create a much more expanded section for transfer students, as this is a large area of interest that TLS currently does not cover.

My goal is that TLS will have the best content in every law school related areas so thanks for your feedback and please keep the ideas coming. Best,

Ken

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:40 am

Ken wrote:Thanks for the excellent idea. I agree that TLS needs to provide more information for both non-traditional students and particularly for transfer students.

The good news is that I talked to PK (who transferred from U. of Florida to Michigan) and he is going to help me create a much more expanded section for transfer students, as this is a large area of interest that TLS currently does not cover.

My goal is that TLS will have the best content in every law school related areas so thanks for your feedback and please keep the ideas coming. Best,

Ken
The biggest part of what we want to do is to have a better transfer database than is out there right now. I'm going to shoot up a questions thread soon to see what the most compelling transfers questions are.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 am

A video about fashion would be AMAZING. Maybe 2 different videos for women and men, explaining what is appropriate for business casual events and more formal events. Good brands to look for in suits, tailoring, stuff like that. A video would make it extremely effective, but probably very difficult to do.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 am

PKSebben wrote:
Ken wrote:Thanks for the excellent idea. I agree that TLS needs to provide more information for both non-traditional students and particularly for transfer students.

Ken
The biggest part of what we want to do is to have a better transfer database than is out there right now. I'm going to shoot up a questions thread soon to see what the most compelling transfers questions are.
What rank at X school makes one competitive for Y transfer.

In other words...school in the 20's, 30's, 40's, etc...where do you need to be in those 1L classes for t-14, t-13, on down to Yale.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:45 am

MrOrange wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Ken

In other words...school in the 20's, 30's, 40's, etc...where do you need to be in those 1L classes for t-14, t-13, on down to Yale.
Right, I'm hoping an updated database would make those connections for us. I'm interested to know if transferring is more competitive these days.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:48 am

PKSebben wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
PKSebben wrote:

Ken

Right, I'm hoping an updated database would make those connections for us. I'm interested to know if transferring is more competitive these days.
I'm almost scared to find out, but given that I'm going to be thinking about it come next spring...I'd like to know.

Drummingreg

Bronze

Post by Drummingreg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:17 am

Hmm, maybe something which highlights the different areas of each LS where they excel. You could have video titles such as "Top IP Law Schools" or "Top Public Interest Law Schools." Maybe interview some graduates or mention their achievements. i.e. for "Top Clerkship Law Schools" you could discuss their SCOTUS clerks. It might help those 0Ls who already know what type of law they would like to practice.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:33 am

I know this is "Top Law Schools" and not "Pretty Good Law Schools" and all, but I think a lot of us have grades and LSAT scores that easily get us into the T50 schools but don't quite make the T14 cut that many of this site's info/interviews/etc. apply to. I would also like to see updated school bios. Some haven't been touched in years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Drummingreg

Bronze

Post by Drummingreg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:39 am

biv0ns wrote:I know this is "Top Law Schools" and not "Pretty Good Law Schools" and all, but I think a lot of us have grades and LSAT scores that easily get us into the T50 schools but don't quite make the T14 cut that many of this site's info/interviews/etc. apply to. I would also like to see updated school bios. Some haven't been touched in years.
Credited. Also, maybe a video series that goes by region. "Southern Law Schools" "Law Schools of the Midwest." It could highlight some of the better regional schools.

art vandelay

Bronze

Post by art vandelay » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:43 am

biv0ns wrote:I know this is "Top Law Schools" and not "Pretty Good Law Schools" and all, but I think a lot of us have grades and LSAT scores that easily get us into the T50 schools but don't quite make the T14 cut that many of this site's info/interviews/etc. apply to. I would also like to see updated school bios. Some haven't been touched in years.
Ditto updated bios. Some of those are woefully outdated.

Even if it's not possible to update 60 or 70 schools, updated profiles for at least the top 20 schools or so would be nice.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:44 am

art vandelay wrote:
Ditto updated bios. Some of those are woefully outdated.

Even if it's not possible to update 60 or 70 schools, updated profiles for at least the top 20 schools or so would be nice.
That would be the whole point of fellow TLSers writing them. It wouldn't all be on Ken's shoulders, so more could be done in less time.

Drummingreg

Bronze

Post by Drummingreg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:45 am

Alright, last post. There could be a series of informational videos for the less knowledgeable TLS'ers for when they join or just as reference for those that are curious. Ex. "How do clerkships work?" "How does LRAP work?" "What is a day in the life of the average 1L?" (a video diary would be fantastic) "what is law review/Journal?" "How can I get into IP law?" Just some suggestions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:04 am

I am currently working on a transfer article, and will definitely try to answer those common questions. If there are other common transferring concerns, let me know. The downside is of course, by the time I have finished, this year's transferring cycle will be over.

Figuring what are your chances of transferring is going to really be my personal guess based on all the data I have seen. I ain't not admissions officer, but there are common trends among the tiers. There are so many possibilities and types of transfers, some of which are super rare too (which makes it kind of interesting).

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:30 pm

crazycanuck wrote:A video about fashion would be AMAZING. Maybe 2 different videos for women and men, explaining what is appropriate for business casual events and more formal events. Good brands to look for in suits, tailoring, stuff like that. A video would make it extremely effective, but probably very difficult to do.
A fashion article would be wonderful.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 am

Advice on asking for fee waivers

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:14 am

I'd really like to see some articles about firms and their different legal markets. I know this might be tricky b/c of confidentiality and ppl don't want to give away to much info (including who they work for) but it'd be nice to know from the inside what different firms really look for in new associates. Also avg hours for starting associates and ESPECIALLY the culture of the firm (which I have found is often hard to figure out unless you speak directly to someone at the firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Maybe a section under personal statements covering the different types of optional essays (i.e. Why X, DS, Addenda, etc.).

Ken

Bronze

Post by Ken » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:32 am

I think an article on other essays (Why X Law School, Yale 250, Diversity Statement, etc.) would be very helpful.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:05 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:36 pm

I believe that an article detailing different career paths of lawyers would be extraordinarily helpful. Many of us aren't quite sure what sort of practice areas are available (i.e. patent, estates, real estate, tax, M&A); an article describing the various aspects of legal practice and the careers associated with them would undoubtedly help pre-law students make decisions about whether or not to attend law school and, if applicable, which school to attend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”