Guide to the LSAC: Transcripts, GPA, and More Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
lawrencecis

New

Re: Guide to the LSAC: Transcripts, GPA, and More

Post by lawrencecis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Great post. I have two questions:

1. I took multiple Credit/No Credit classes that were only offered as such (debate, college success, etc.). Is C/No C the same as Pass/Fail in determining my LSDAS gpa?

2. Do these C/No C classes somehow (not) count to my LSDAS -- as there would be a greater denominator of units to base my letter units? When I use the LSDAS GPA Predictor, my UGPA jumps much higher (a lot closer to my overall GPA, rather than the GPA from where I received my degree.

Thanks

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:01 pm

lawrencecis

New

Post by lawrencecis » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Cool. Thank you for the quick reply.

laidoffjournalist

Bronze

Post by laidoffjournalist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:19 pm

Wait, I need to send transcripts from any school I attended?
Last edited by laidoffjournalist on Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stand my ground

New

Post by stand my ground » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Do I sign the transcript request form or does the college registrar sign the request form?

I think I do, not sure though.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:36 pm

ctaylor21

New

Advice on transcript submission

Post by ctaylor21 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:39 pm

I'm new to TLS, and I have a transcript issue that could use some clarification.

When I opened my LSAC account and registered for the LSDAS I included a community college on my records for a course that I was registered for at the time, and had every intention of completing. I eventually dropped the course before the semester due to a heavy work schedule. Now I have no credits at the institution. LSAC told me that this needed to be confirmed by the school's registrar, before they could remove it from my LSAC/LSDAS profile. Well, the school sent a transcript with zero credits (nothing about a withdraw or anything that would negatively impact my record). I called LSAC to ask them to remove the institution just so there was no unnecessary confusion. I was told that if they received a letter stating that there was no transcript for me they would be able to remove the school. However, since they do have a transcript, even though there is no record of any classes taken, the school had to stay, and I could write an addendum with applications to clarify things.

My question: Is an addendum necessary? Will adcomms overlook this administrative glitch? I know this wont affect my GPA calculation, but was concerned that it could complicate my academic record and application.

Any advice is welcome!

YCrevolution

Gold

Re: Advice on transcript submission

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ctaylor21

New

Post by ctaylor21 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:02 am

YCrevolution wrote:
ctaylor21 wrote:I'm new to TLS, and I have a transcript issue that could use some clarification.

When I opened my LSAC account and registered for the LSDAS I included a community college on my records for a course that I was registered for at the time, and had every intention of completing. I eventually dropped the course before the semester due to a heavy work schedule. Now I have no credits at the institution. LSAC told me that this needed to be confirmed by the school's registrar, before they could remove it from my LSAC/LSDAS profile. Well, the school sent a transcript with zero credits (nothing about a withdraw or anything that would negatively impact my record). I called LSAC to ask them to remove the institution just so there was no unnecessary confusion. I was told that if they received a letter stating that there was no transcript for me they would be able to remove the school. However, since they do have a transcript, even though there is no record of any classes taken, the school had to stay, and I could write an addendum with applications to clarify things.

My question: Is an addendum necessary? Will adcomms overlook this administrative glitch? I know this wont affect my GPA calculation, but was concerned that it could complicate my academic record and application.

Any advice is welcome!
While not necessary, it might still be a good idea to include a very brief addendum explaining that you withdrew from classes due to a heavy work schedule before any grades were awarded. It shouldn't be more than a sentence or two.
Thanks for the input. I just wanted to be sure to clear and upfront with this whole thing. I didn't even set foot in the classroom, but I guess I'll have to include my transcript and an addendum may be helpful.

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:11 am

Hello - my Academic Summary Report was just posted and I wanted your opinion on whether or not I should include an addendum. I go to a private pharmacy school and therefore LSAC has insufficient data to include information about the percentage distribution of GPAs. My GPA % rank and the GPA college mean are also not listed. My gpa is on the low end compared to those who I'll be applying against (3.61) but the curriculum at my school is very difficult and my gpa is among the top in my class. The report also does not mention that I'm graduating with a Doctorate, something that I was hoping would contribute to displaying the complexity of my degree.

Thank you

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:32 am

When you open the LOR form, it lets you type into the signature and date field. Is this insufficient for a "signature" or do you actually have to physically sign a copy and scan it? It seems like you can agree to terms within applications just by dating and submitting them, so why not the LOR form?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:42 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:43 am

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:49 am

that fax tip was great. Thanks a lot, it may save my ED application
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:12 pm

my academic summary report was loaded, and i have two questions....1) do i have to arrange to have my transcripts sent everywhere i apply or will lsac send the transcripts along with the academic summary report? 2) is phi beta kappa supposed to be listed on the academic summary report?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:56 am

hmmm do you think they would change it if i asked them to? i think it is helpful to have all the important academic stuff in one place rather than having most of it on the summary and then part of it in the resume. it also seems silly that they would just lump all academic awards under 'honors'...dean's list =/= magna cum laude or whatever..../end petty rant

also, my LDSAS GPA is .01 lower than the one my school calculated...should i change my resume to match the LDSAS GPA?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:02 am

daniel5215

Bronze

Post by daniel5215 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:23 am

What specifically is the special requirements for transcripts sent from institutes located in P.R.China?
Thanks!

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:24 am

thanks. do you mean that even if i got them to indicate pbk on the academic summary report, they would just call it 'honors'?....bc that is the way it is represented on the summary report now (just says 07-08: honors at the top of the report)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 am

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:27 am

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm

another question....is your degree GPA composed of only the minimum number of courses you needed to get the degree or of all the courses you took that fall into your degree department? my academic summary shows my degree GPA as only the twelve courses i needed and doesn't include the rest of the courses i took in that department. i really could care less unless the law schools would care about this? i figure that one way or another all the grades are included.

oh, and do they count your minor grades in your degree GPA as well?

TPN

New

Post by TPN » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:34 am

Can you clarify this? In your guide it mentioned once you received your first undergraduate degree, you lsac gpa is set in stone so how does one factor in completing double degrees or grad school? Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”