Page 6 of 10

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:57 pm
by chrisbru
northwood wrote:
what im telling you is, buffalo is going to be hard pressed to giveyou any. You can inform them that the other schools gave you money, but it might not work. THey will look at your figures, and do the math and realize that they are still cheaper than the rest. You need to focus on why UB is great for you, why you are a great canidate, and explain how any grant or scholly money given will make your decision to attend much easier.


TITCR, for trying to get money out of UB.

ohmylord wrote:
And even if I do end up going there at sticker price, it's loads better than paying $25,000-$40,000 at the other schools and ending up with a MUCH higher debt. I tend to have a lot of great luck and people skills so finding a job isn't a concern of mine (this is how I went through life and will continue to do so. Great luck, hard studying, and people skills).


This is not the attitude you should have. LARGE surplus of lawyers coming out of schools. If you're dead set on going to law school, and nothing can change your mind, and it must be this year... Then do what you can to get money out of UB, it's your best bet.

However, there's no shame and waiting a year or two, maybe upping your LSAT score, getting some work experience, and applying to a wider range of schools that will give you more money (and a cheaper cost of living) to go to school there.

ETA: I know it's cliche. But I don't think you realize how much even 4 or 5 points could do for you if you can retake the LSAT. Your GPA is really good... But LSAT is king. My 2.9 GPA paired with a good LSAT ended up getting me full tuition at my state law school and at a tier 3, as well as good scholarship offers from schools ranging from WUSTL to Drake. I applied to 12 schools, and ended up with a pretty good cycle.

Yes, it sucks to wait a year. But when you think about the monetary gain in working a year, banking some savings, and upping your LSAT to get some more scholarship $$$ and possibly even a better school, it makes a TON of sense. It's only a year... It's really not a big deal.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:19 pm
by ohmylord
chrisbru wrote:
northwood wrote:
what im telling you is, buffalo is going to be hard pressed to giveyou any. You can inform them that the other schools gave you money, but it might not work. THey will look at your figures, and do the math and realize that they are still cheaper than the rest. You need to focus on why UB is great for you, why you are a great canidate, and explain how any grant or scholly money given will make your decision to attend much easier.


TITCR, for trying to get money out of UB.

ohmylord wrote:
And even if I do end up going there at sticker price, it's loads better than paying $25,000-$40,000 at the other schools and ending up with a MUCH higher debt. I tend to have a lot of great luck and people skills so finding a job isn't a concern of mine (this is how I went through life and will continue to do so. Great luck, hard studying, and people skills).


This is not the attitude you should have. LARGE surplus of lawyers coming out of schools. If you're dead set on going to law school, and nothing can change your mind, and it must be this year... Then do what you can to get money out of UB, it's your best bet.

However, there's no shame and waiting a year or two, maybe upping your LSAT score, getting some work experience, and applying to a wider range of schools that will give you more money (and a cheaper cost of living) to go to school there.

ETA: I know it's cliche. But I don't think you realize how much even 4 or 5 points could do for you if you can retake the LSAT. Your GPA is really good... But LSAT is king. My 2.9 GPA paired with a good LSAT ended up getting me full tuition at my state law school and at a tier 3, as well as good scholarship offers from schools ranging from WUSTL to Drake. I applied to 12 schools, and ended up with a pretty good cycle.

Yes, it sucks to wait a year. But when you think about the monetary gain in working a year, banking some savings, and upping your LSAT to get some more scholarship $$$ and possibly even a better school, it makes a TON of sense. It's only a year... It's really not a big deal.

Great advice, minus the fact I can't take the LSATs anymore. I have already taken the maximum of three times. Not something within my power (Asian parents tend to be anal about everything academic, and skipping an LSAT date to study harder is something of a suicide within my household at least). So either I go now or wait (waste) 5 years.

I really wish to go to Buffalo, again, because of the reputation, environment, and tuition costs. I know it dropped from 85 to unranked this year, but seeing how it was ranked and is trying to get back to ranked, I'm not largely worried. It's either go to Buffalo, which is ~6 hours away from my hometown, or go to Albany (with just minority scholarship and nothing else, brings it to about sticker price of Buffalo) which is <1 hour away.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:26 pm
by chrisbru
ohmylord wrote:Great advice, minus the fact I can't take the LSATs anymore. I have already taken the maximum of three times. Not something within my power (Asian parents tend to be anal about everything academic, and skipping an LSAT date to study harder is something of a suicide within my household at least). So either I go now or wait (waste) 5 years.

I really wish to go to Buffalo, again, because of the reputation, environment, and tuition costs. I know it dropped from 85 to unranked this year, but seeing how it was ranked and is trying to get back to ranked, I'm not largely worried. It's either go to Buffalo, which is ~6 hours away from my hometown, or go to Albany (with just minority scholarship and nothing else, brings it to about sticker price of Buffalo) which is <1 hour away.



You can actually take it a 4th time... You'd just have to have a school's admissions office send LSAC a note saying they would like you to take it again. I don't know the details, but I'm sure you can find someone on here to help you do it if you'd like.

Although, it sounds like you know what's going on. If you can live at home, Albany might be a better choice, due to much lower cost of living. Otherwise, it sounds like Buffalo is your only option.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:28 pm
by beachbum
ohmylord wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
northwood wrote:
what im telling you is, buffalo is going to be hard pressed to giveyou any. You can inform them that the other schools gave you money, but it might not work. THey will look at your figures, and do the math and realize that they are still cheaper than the rest. You need to focus on why UB is great for you, why you are a great canidate, and explain how any grant or scholly money given will make your decision to attend much easier.


TITCR, for trying to get money out of UB.

ohmylord wrote:
And even if I do end up going there at sticker price, it's loads better than paying $25,000-$40,000 at the other schools and ending up with a MUCH higher debt. I tend to have a lot of great luck and people skills so finding a job isn't a concern of mine (this is how I went through life and will continue to do so. Great luck, hard studying, and people skills).


This is not the attitude you should have. LARGE surplus of lawyers coming out of schools. If you're dead set on going to law school, and nothing can change your mind, and it must be this year... Then do what you can to get money out of UB, it's your best bet.

However, there's no shame and waiting a year or two, maybe upping your LSAT score, getting some work experience, and applying to a wider range of schools that will give you more money (and a cheaper cost of living) to go to school there.

ETA: I know it's cliche. But I don't think you realize how much even 4 or 5 points could do for you if you can retake the LSAT. Your GPA is really good... But LSAT is king. My 2.9 GPA paired with a good LSAT ended up getting me full tuition at my state law school and at a tier 3, as well as good scholarship offers from schools ranging from WUSTL to Drake. I applied to 12 schools, and ended up with a pretty good cycle.

Yes, it sucks to wait a year. But when you think about the monetary gain in working a year, banking some savings, and upping your LSAT to get some more scholarship $$$ and possibly even a better school, it makes a TON of sense. It's only a year... It's really not a big deal.

Great advice, minus the fact I can't take the LSATs anymore. I have already taken the maximum of three times. Not something within my power (Asian parents tend to be anal about everything academic, and skipping an LSAT date to study harder is something of a suicide within my household at least). So either I go now or wait (waste) 5 years.

I really wish to go to Buffalo, again, because of the reputation, environment, and tuition costs. I know it dropped from 85 to unranked this year, but seeing how it was ranked and is trying to get back to ranked, I'm not largely worried. It's either go to Buffalo, which is ~6 hours away from my hometown, or go to Albany (with just minority scholarship and nothing else, brings it to about sticker price of Buffalo) which is <1 hour away.


Ask a school to sponsor a 4th take of the LSAT. It seems that a lot of schools are pretty receptive to these requests, and even a marginally better LSAT goes a long way.

I'm not sure how UB does in the city of Buffalo (or what Buffalo's legal market looks like), but if you're trying to get to NYC from UB, then Chrisbru has the credited response there. That is, you won't.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 pm
by ohmylord
To chrisbru:
I did not know you could take it a fourth time. That would be nice, but again, Asian household, so taking a year off isn't really an option I can go with (not unless I want my parents to legitimately disown me and cut me off from everything financially, which would make my life harder as I would have to work nigh full time and study to do everything properly). Not really a legitimate excuse, but it's not something I'm too keen on.

To beachbum:
I hear the legal market around the Buffalo area is rather decent (unless everyone has been lying to me because of how much competition there is in the area, then that goes to show why lawyers tend to be unpopular in our society) and I'm perfectly okay with staying in a small firm in Buffalo rather than get a job in the big city. I'm a man of simplicity, not the busy body hectic life of NYC (which is ironic considering the occupation I'm going to school for).

So, again, I'm just seeking out scholarships from either the school or just general advice now on where to find money in general.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:09 pm
by chrisbru
ohmylord wrote:To chrisbru:
I did not know you could take it a fourth time. That would be nice, but again, Asian household, so taking a year off isn't really an option I can go with (not unless I want my parents to legitimately disown me and cut me off from everything financially, which would make my life harder as I would have to work nigh full time and study to do everything properly). Not really a legitimate excuse, but it's not something I'm too keen on.

To beachbum:
I hear the legal market around the Buffalo area is rather decent (unless everyone has been lying to me because of how much competition there is in the area, then that goes to show why lawyers tend to be unpopular in our society) and I'm perfectly okay with staying in a small firm in Buffalo rather than get a job in the big city. I'm a man of simplicity, not the busy body hectic life of NYC (which is ironic considering the occupation I'm going to school for).

So, again, I'm just seeking out scholarships from either the school or just general advice now on where to find money in general.


Maybe look around the web for diversity scholarships for people pursuing professional degrees? I don't know any (I'm a total whiteboy, so none would apply), but I'm sure you could find some. I used Fastweb.com to apply for scholarships for undergrad, it might have some professional scholarships too.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:58 pm
by girlonfire
Two questions (sorry if the first has been answered somewhere in this thread, but I didn't see it...):

Should I wait until I hear from all my schools before I start tryin to up my scholly's? I've heard from 7/20, and in at 4/7 so far.

and

would any one like to read over my negotiation letter?? I could use a second opinion. If so, PM me.

thanks!
:D :D :D

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:45 pm
by arvcondor
Want to say thanks for the advice; just doubled my aid.

Cheers!

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:27 pm
by northwood
girlonfire wrote:Two questions (sorry if the first has been answered somewhere in this thread, but I didn't see it...):

Should I wait until I hear from all my schools before I start tryin to up my scholly's? I've heard from 7/20, and in at 4/7 so far.

and

would any one like to read over my negotiation letter?? I could use a second opinion. If so, PM me.

thanks!
:D :D :D


id start now.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 pm
by R.R. Raskolnikov
Would anyone be willing to provide comments on my initial negotiation letter to a T-14? Thanks in advance.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:55 pm
by deathviaboredom
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Would anyone be willing to provide comments on my initial negotiation letter to a T-14? Thanks in advance.


sure. pm me

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:55 pm
by northwood
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:Would anyone be willing to provide comments on my initial negotiation letter to a T-14? Thanks in advance.



sure send it my way

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:35 pm
by northwood
any ideas for how to negotiate stipulations?

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:05 pm
by akahn2
legallyblonde:) wrote:Help! Iowa is my top choice and they haven't offered any merit based scholarships even though I am above their LSAT median and above 75% for GPA. I was accepted to Minnesota and was offered a small scholarship. I know the article posted says Iowa should match or beat the offer. When I send initial communication to Iowa the response was basically no offer now check back later. How do I mention my UofM acceptance and scholarship tactfully? Please either respond or private message me! I really want to go to Iowa, but don't know if I can justify it if I don't recieve any scholarships. Thanks!


Thanks for posting this! I am in a really similar situation with Iowa: LSAT above their 75% and GPA slightly above the median. (Stats at a glance: 165, 3.70, no URM, solid softs) I am waitlisted at Minnesota, Indiana and BU so not much negotiating power from peer schools near Iowa in rankings. Still a little merit-based scholarship money would really go a long way. My inquiry about financial aid met the same "no offer now, check back later" response. How should I politely handle this or am I looking at a lost cause without realizing this? Thanks.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:38 pm
by R.R. Raskolnikov
Is there a consensus on where the negotiaion letter should be sent? Should you send to the financial aid office or admissions? Thanks.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:40 pm
by northwood
if possible send it to who ever mailed you your acceptance letter. if there was a financial aid person- mail it to them, if not, then the admissions office would work fine!

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 am
by SarahagMont
I have found this forum helpful thank you for the great posts. Here is my situation: I would like to go to Seattle University, I am in but they offered me no merit scholarships. I am in at Gonzaga and they are offering me $15k a year (assuming I meet certain requirements). I am having a hard time figuring out if Gonzaga and Seattle U are peer schools. They have similar LSAT/GPA Statistics, and are in the same state but I'm not sure that is the definition of a peer school.
SU
LSAT 75% 160 25% 155
GPA 75% 3.5 25% 3.0

GON
LSAT 75% 157 25% 154
GPA 75% 3.57 25% 3.11

To make matters more interesting I am a splitter with a 155 LSAT and a 3.6 GPA. Do I have any negotiating power with Seattle U? Also I still have University of Oregon, U New Mexico and Denver University to hear back from. Should I wait to hear back to possibly gain more leverage or will it be to late to start if I wait much longer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:57 pm
by chrisbru
SarahagMont wrote:I have found this forum helpful thank you for the great posts. Here is my situation: I would like to go to Seattle University, I am in but they offered me no merit scholarships. I am in at Gonzaga and they are offering me $15k a year (assuming I meet certain requirements). I am having a hard time figuring out if Gonzaga and Seattle U are peer schools. They have similar LSAT/GPA Statistics, and are in the same state but I'm not sure that is the definition of a peer school.
SU
LSAT 75% 160 25% 155
GPA 75% 3.5 25% 3.0

GON
LSAT 75% 157 25% 154
GPA 75% 3.57 25% 3.11

To make matters more interesting I am a splitter with a 155 LSAT and a 3.6 GPA. Do I have any negotiating power with Seattle U? Also I still have University of Oregon, U New Mexico and Denver University to hear back from. Should I wait to hear back to possibly gain more leverage or will it be to late to start if I wait much longer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!



No. Gonzaga is a tier 3, Seattle is tier 2. If you get a scholarship from Denver, Oregon, or New Mexico (which are all peer schools, especially Oregon since it is close and Denver since it is also private) then maybe try. I find it unlikely that you will get any financial help from Seattle, however.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 pm
by toptwin
tag

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:57 pm
by WashingtonJew
Has anyone successfully negotiated for more money once they got an increase?

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:40 am
by WashingtonJew
Bump.

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:39 pm
by solarae
could you fix the text again please.. thanks

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:09 pm
by flexityflex86
What should you make the subject line of such an e-mail?

Is Negotiating Merit Aid too direct?

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 pm
by northwood
put financial aid question as subject

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:59 pm
by twozeroseven
Does anyone know the details that differentiate tuition waivers vs. grants vs. granting an OOS student in-state status? For instance, at a public school that I am very interested in (top choice) I am OOS, and a pretty big splitter. I'm well below the 25% for GPA. (LSAT is around 75%) I talked to the Dean of Admissions today, who was very nice, but basically stonewalled me. I didn't ask specifically about residency status, just asked about merit aid availability. If I could garner in-state status for first year it would be an easy choice -- should I try again (maybe on the last day before seat deposits when they won't want to go to the waitlist) or just be happy I got in and suck up the sticker shock?