Negotiating Merit Aid Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: Negotiating Merit Aid

Post by chrisbru » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm

squee116 wrote:I just started the negotiation process, and after sending a "cost is important; merit based aid will make a difference" email, the college asked for a request and the other offers.

Am I over-thinking things in believing that request means naming a specific number? Or should I just forward my other offers?
It sounds like they want to know what you think you should get, and see your other offers. I don't see why that's confusing. They're trying to bait you into telling them what the lowest amount you'll take is, probably.

PrideandGlory1776

Bronze

Post by PrideandGlory1776 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Is there a list of school's who won't negotiate? I know that Yale, Harvard, Stanford obviously won't because they don't offer merit aid I also know Vanderbilt doesn't negotiate either. Are their any others that people know of?

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:44 pm

Last edited by kimkardashian on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brettanomyces

Bronze

Post by Brettanomyces » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:45 pm

kimkardashian wrote:When negotiating, is it useless to bring up waitlisted schools? I'm negotiating for additional merit scholarships from schools ranked 20, 24, 27, 36, and 38 but I got waitlisted to four T-14s. I also got full scholarships to two schools ranked 58 and 86.
The consensus is that it is useless, yes.

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:29 am

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Is there a list of school's who won't negotiate? I know that Yale, Harvard, Stanford obviously won't because they don't offer merit aid I also know Vanderbilt doesn't negotiate either. Are their any others that people know of?
Believe it or not, Santa Clara law refuses to negotiate as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Merylian

Silver

Post by Merylian » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 am

PrideandGlory1776 wrote:Is there a list of school's who won't negotiate? I know that Yale, Harvard, Stanford obviously won't because they don't offer merit aid I also know Vanderbilt doesn't negotiate either. Are their any others that people know of?
UNC doesn't negotiate.

Dingo Starr

Bronze

Post by Dingo Starr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:54 pm

Moonlight wrote:
Strangely enough, USF wouldn't budge with me either. It's just first round, though. They may change their mind.

Moonlight

Silver

Post by Moonlight » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Dingo Starr wrote:
Moonlight wrote:
Strangely enough, USF wouldn't budge with me either. It's just first round, though. They may change their mind.
Really? What did they say? You can PM me if that's better for you.

squee116

New

Post by squee116 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Just heard back from SMU. They just asked if I got my scholly offer in the admission packet, rather than assuming I'm trying to negotiate. Is there a proper way to phrase this without just saying "Yes, I got the scholarship info, but I want MOAR!"

I do have a rough draft, and was curious if it sounded too money grubby.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:39 pm

Last edited by kimkardashian on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:41 pm

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:45 pm

kimkardashian wrote:
Brettanomyces wrote:
kimkardashian wrote:When negotiating, is it useless to bring up waitlisted schools? I'm negotiating for additional merit scholarships from schools ranked 20, 24, 27, 36, and 38 but I got waitlisted to four T-14s. I also got full scholarships to two schools ranked 58 and 86.
The consensus is that it is useless, yes.
Thanks for the response. Should I mention the full scholarships to the lower-ranked (58 and 86) schools when negotiating with the rest of them?
I would mention the full scholarships to lower ranked schools. It can only work to your advantage. If they believe that you may take the money and run, they may offer more. On the other hand, if you don't mention it, it gives a less compelling reason for them to negotiate.

kimkardashian

Bronze

Post by kimkardashian » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theycallmefoes

Bronze

Post by theycallmefoes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:16 am

Do the new UNSW rankings matter (i.e., in comparison to last year's rankings) for scholarship negotiations?

squee116

New

Post by squee116 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:38 am

Just heard back from IUB and SMU. No negotiating going on.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Might be a really small detail, but I'm wondering what people put in their subject line for the email that goes to admissions first (the email about asking who we can get in contact with to try and negotiate more money).

CoffeeIsLife

Bronze

Post by CoffeeIsLife » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:29 am

Bajam wrote:Might be a really small detail, but I'm wondering what people put in their subject line for the email that goes to admissions first (the email about asking who we can get in contact with to try and negotiate more money).
By no means am I an expert, but I just put "(Your name) Financial Aid" and it generally was met with a quick response.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rstahl

New

Post by rstahl » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Bajam wrote:Might be a really small detail, but I'm wondering what people put in their subject line for the email that goes to admissions first (the email about asking who we can get in contact with to try and negotiate more money).
I wouldn't even send that email. Go to the faculty page and find the right person (Director/Dean of Financial Aid/Admissions). Or you can look back at who signed your initial scholarship letter if there is one. I emailed the Dean of Admissions and the Director of Financial Services responded with a scholarship increase. It's down to the wire so just go for it. They know how to forward an email to the right person.

But as for your top inquiry, I just labeled mine "'Full name of Law School' Financing Request"

daniel14

New

Post by daniel14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Tag

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 am

Tagging

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:26 am

I applied late in the game, so I've received a few offers but am waiting to hear back from most of the schools I applied to. How long should I wait on the other schools before starting the negotiation process?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

potus

Bronze

Post by potus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

beforethelaw wrote:I applied late in the game, so I've received a few offers but am waiting to hear back from most of the schools I applied to. How long should I wait on the other schools before starting the negotiation process?
You should go ahead and get the initial negotiation email out, if you have competitive offers between schools and can make an argument. You can always add or supplement your negotiations with new scholly offers when they come in.

nickles96

New

Post by nickles96 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Any stats out there on asking for more merit after 1L (providing in top of class) , to prevent a transfer out?
Obviously not talking about T14s here.

AlexFergusonLS

New

Post by AlexFergusonLS » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 am

nickles96 wrote:Any stats out there on asking for more merit after 1L (providing in top of class) , to prevent a transfer out?
Obviously not talking about T14s here.
Same question, but talking about t14's - I read an anecdotal thing about someone doing this at Northwestern successfully. Anyone know at Columbia or other top schools?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 pm

I made an ultimatum in my scholarship reconsideration form that I'm worried is going to come across as entitled. Am I out of luck and should wait till they respond, or should I send a follow-up email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”