MBA/JD vs. MFin + JD (afterward) Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Glaucon

Bronze

MBA/JD vs. MFin + JD (afterward)

Post by Glaucon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:34 pm

It's been a while since I've posted on this forum so I can only infer from the section title that this board is for miscellaneous topics. My question is whether I should pursue a MBA/JD degree for a career in M&A, or pursue a Masters in Finance at an elite European institute (e.g. IE, Oxford, HEC Paris, St. Gallen, Cranfield (perhaps)) and then a JD afterwards. The benefits of this alternative involve money; it's slightly cheaper to do a MFin/MSc of Finance abroad and a JD afterwards, I may secure a large scholarship (I cannot do so presently) when I apply with a MFin in my backpocket, and a possible route of retreat if I discover that law and I are ill-suited. The Master of Finance programs in Europe are the best globally especially for graduates with no prior experience in finance, whereas a MBA/JD will lock me in the program for at least 2 years with my tuition squandered if I ever wished to back out. I graduated from the University of Toronto with a cgpa of 3.61 (top 10%); a best LSAT score of 167; a GMAT score of 780. I plan on practising M&A in Canada. Does anyone know how valuable financial experience is to a career in M&A, and if beneficial, whether there's any difference between a MBA and a MFin (Master in Finance)? According to the curriculum offered for the MBA/JD at UofT, a Master of Finance curriculum covers essentially the same thing a MBA majoring in Finance would cover; except for managerial accounting, organizational structure, strategic negotiations and operations management. Are these courses what separate a MBA/JD career in M&A from those with a MFin? Anyone?

TheThriller

Gold

Re: MBA/JD vs. MFin + JD (afterward)

Post by TheThriller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Glaucon wrote:It's been a while since I've posted on this forum so I can only infer from the section title that this board is for miscellaneous topics. My question is whether I should pursue a MBA/JD degree for a career in M&A, or pursue a Masters in Finance at an elite European institute (e.g. IE, Oxford, HEC Paris, St. Gallen, Cranfield (perhaps)) and then a JD afterwards. The benefits of this alternative involve money; it's slightly cheaper to do a MFin/MSc of Finance abroad and a JD afterwards, I may secure a large scholarship (I cannot do so presently) when I apply with a MFin in my backpocket, and a possible route of retreat if I discover that law and I are ill-suited. The Master of Finance programs in Europe are the best globally especially for graduates with no prior experience in finance, whereas a MBA/JD will lock me in the program for at least 2 years with my tuition squandered if I ever wished to back out. I graduated from the University of Toronto with a cgpa of 3.61 (top 10%); a best LSAT score of 167; a GMAT score of 780. I plan on practising M&A in Canada. Does anyone know how valuable financial experience is to a career in M&A, and if beneficial, whether there's any difference between a MBA and a MFin (Master in Finance)? According to the curriculum offered for the MBA/JD at UofT, a Master of Finance curriculum covers essentially the same thing a MBA majoring in Finance would cover; except for managerial accounting, organizational structure, strategic negotiations and operations management. Are these courses what separate a MBA/JD career in M&A from those with a MFin? Anyone?
This part of the forum is for people to write guides that help others through the law school application process, through 1L and beyond.

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:04 pm

TheThriller wrote:
Glaucon wrote:It's been a while since I've posted on this forum so I can only infer from the section title that this board is for miscellaneous topics. My question is whether I should pursue a MBA/JD degree for a career in M&A, or pursue a Masters in Finance at an elite European institute (e.g. IE, Oxford, HEC Paris, St. Gallen, Cranfield (perhaps)) and then a JD afterwards. The benefits of this alternative involve money; it's slightly cheaper to do a MFin/MSc of Finance abroad and a JD afterwards, I may secure a large scholarship (I cannot do so presently) when I apply with a MFin in my backpocket, and a possible route of retreat if I discover that law and I are ill-suited. The Master of Finance programs in Europe are the best globally especially for graduates with no prior experience in finance, whereas a MBA/JD will lock me in the program for at least 2 years with my tuition squandered if I ever wished to back out. I graduated from the University of Toronto with a cgpa of 3.61 (top 10%); a best LSAT score of 167; a GMAT score of 780. I plan on practising M&A in Canada. Does anyone know how valuable financial experience is to a career in M&A, and if beneficial, whether there's any difference between a MBA and a MFin (Master in Finance)? According to the curriculum offered for the MBA/JD at UofT, a Master of Finance curriculum covers essentially the same thing a MBA majoring in Finance would cover; except for managerial accounting, organizational structure, strategic negotiations and operations management. Are these courses what separate a MBA/JD career in M&A from those with a MFin? Anyone?
This part of the forum is for people to write guides that help others through the law school application process, through 1L and beyond.
TheThriller wrote:
Where should I relocate my post?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 pm

I think "Choosing a law school" might be good along with the 1st forum choice on TLS (general law school stuff).I say try there!

Glaucon

Bronze

Post by Glaucon » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Thanks, but I just spotted the "Ask a law graduate" section.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Glaucon wrote:Thanks, but I just spotted the "Ask a law graduate" section.
any forum is better than here, no one ever really posts in this place.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Multiple postings of the same topic in different threads is not allowed. This thread will be allowed to continue in "choosing a law school."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”