Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
DorthyMantooth
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby DorthyMantooth » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Tagging this

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 am

Glad I could help.


Another update: Due to unforeseen circumstances my previous firm and I have parted ways. However... I had made friends with a 3L who had told me about their law firm and how much they liked it. When I needed a new job, fast, I called the 3L up and got an interview within a week. A week after that, I had a job.

Networking, people, don't underestimate it. Make friends with everyone and you'll never go hungry.


ETA: and just to be clear, I also contacted 3 other 3Ls who had firms that might be hiring clerks to replace them, four professors, an assigned mentor (who didn't call me back, ugh... never rely on assigned "mentors"), and several attorneys in the building of my old firm. Also had my old bosses look out for me too (we parted on good terms and they gave me a letter of recommendation).

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed May 01, 2013 6:44 am

Congrats on the second job! Things must have looked bleak for a little while. :shock:

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Wed May 01, 2013 4:36 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Congrats on the second job! Things must have looked bleak for a little while. :shock:



Law school makes everything bleak.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby nickb285 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:Law school makes everything bleak.


I am so excited for fall semester.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 am

I'm bumping this again for those of you soon to be 1Ls who might appreciate the advice.

User avatar
togepi
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 am

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby togepi » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:23 am

spleenworship wrote:I'm bumping this again for those of you soon to be 1Ls who might appreciate the advice.


Tagging for later. Thank you :) :) :)

User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby BLUERUFiO » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:24 pm

Tag. Awesome post, thanks :)

User avatar
IgosduIkana
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby IgosduIkana » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:03 pm

tagged brother! many thanks!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Glad I could help. To be honest, though, out of the four potential jobs (ie interviews) I have right now, three were not gained through networking at my T2. But I definitely gained the fourth by following my own advice above.

User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:46 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby BLUERUFiO » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:51 am

spleenworship wrote:Glad I could help. To be honest, though, out of the four potential jobs (ie interviews) I have right now, three were not gained through networking at my T2. But I definitely gained the fourth by following my own advice above.

Are the other 3 from mass mailing?

User avatar
thejerseykid
Posts: 466
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 3:52 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby thejerseykid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 am

This is a perspective you don't often see on this site. Definitely worth the read. Thanks!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Glad I could help. To be honest, though, out of the four potential jobs (ie interviews) I have right now, three were not gained through networking at my T2. But I definitely gained the fourth by following my own advice above.

Are the other 3 from mass mailing?


All PI jobs, one from Equal Justice Works, the second a JAG Corps, the third from a direct application to a PDs office out of state that I never expected to hear back from.

The fourth from networking also PI, local PDs office - got in good with a supervisor there, and also with one of the paralegals thats been there like 20 years. Make friends at the top and the bottom, that's my advice. The secretary or paralegal that puts in a good word for you is INVALUABLE. Do not underestimate those people.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:38 am

spleenworship wrote:The fourth from networking also PI, local PDs office - got in good with a supervisor there, and also with one of the paralegals thats been there like 20 years. Make friends at the top and the bottom, that's my advice. The secretary or paralegal that puts in a good word for you is INVALUABLE. Do not underestimate those people.


I second this again, from personal experience. Do not underestimate how useful and essential paralegals and secretaries are. They will be far more valued than your ass will be, at least starting out.

User avatar
BlueLotus
Posts: 2428
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:32 am

spleenworship wrote:
barestin wrote:Very helpful info, thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, what kind of law are you ultimately interested in practicing for small law and are you confident that you will have a 70K-100K job lined up when you graduate?


I am in a small market with lower cost of living, so keep that in mind when you read my answer:

1) Family law, Personal Injury, or the DA's office are my ultimate goals. I still haven't decided yet.

2) I don't want to jinx it, but I think there is a decent chance (70/30) my current firm will give me a job after graduation, unless the economy tanks again just before my bar results come in, and they start at about 60K a year... and since my state has like 40% of people living below the federal poverty level.... well, that ain't bad.


Interesting, what made you switch over from wanting DA to becoming a full-fledged PD gunner?

Great thread--refreshing perspective, btw (T30'er here, interested in family/immigration law).

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:40 pm

BlueLotus wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
barestin wrote:Very helpful info, thanks for sharing. Out of curiosity, what kind of law are you ultimately interested in practicing for small law and are you confident that you will have a 70K-100K job lined up when you graduate?


I am in a small market with lower cost of living, so keep that in mind when you read my answer:

1) Family law, Personal Injury, or the DA's office are my ultimate goals. I still haven't decided yet.

2) I don't want to jinx it, but I think there is a decent chance (70/30) my current firm will give me a job after graduation, unless the economy tanks again just before my bar results come in, and they start at about 60K a year... and since my state has like 40% of people living below the federal poverty level.... well, that ain't bad.


Interesting, what made you switch over from wanting DA to becoming a full-fledged PD gunner?

Great thread--refreshing perspective, btw (T30'er here, interested in family/immigration law).


I had a judge, former prosecutor, explain to me the importance of having a client.

User avatar
TheSenator
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:51 am

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T2

Postby TheSenator » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
gaud wrote:
IHeartPhilly wrote:Tag for later reading. Thanks for the info!!

User avatar
Attax
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 am

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby Attax » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:48 pm

spleenworship wrote:I'm bumping this again for those of you soon to be 1Ls who might appreciate the advice.


Thanks! This will help a lot!

User avatar
chargers
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby chargers » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Great advice!

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:57 pm

I'll update this in the next 6 months to tell everyone whether or not I actually got a job with this. My out of market prospects all failed to work out, so now it's all down to networking.

User avatar
Scotusnerd
Posts: 813
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:10 pm

Just wanted to bump this guide for truth and effectiveness. I'm now working at a state job over the summer that will likely employ me after school. I've been there for a year now. The subject matter is an area that's pretty hard to get in to.

I especially emphasize the not screwing over your classmates part of the guide. I've seen some people let power go to their heads. I get exposed to all the scuttlebutt about the lawyers in the practice area, and believe me, they know. They also know which law clerks are good and which ones are crap. No one has time for dead weight in this economy, and if they think you're dead weight or not a team player, you'll be politely (but firmly) not rehired. I'll let y'all know how it works out after law school, but right now, going into my 3L summer, it's looking promising.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby spleenworship » Fri May 09, 2014 11:42 pm

So... I am jobbed. My dream job in fact.

In the end it wasn't my grades, my journal, or my hustle that got me the job (though I'm sure all of those helped in significant ways - don't slack on trying to get good grades and extracurriculars) - it was my network.

I got selected for AF JAG - failed medical. Interviews with like 12 PD offices nationwide (including second and third rounds) - no offers.

In the end a couple of friends I had made at the local PDs went down to the hiring partner and demanded my reconsideration. With them went recommendations from four other people I had worked with there, and a supervisor I had met at a party.

So... I can't say my guide will work for everyone. But I will say it worked like a charm for me, and it isn't going to kill anyone here on TLS to try it. Good luck to all y'all going into school now. May you all get jobs.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby 03152016 » Sat May 10, 2014 12:21 am

spleenworship wrote:So... I am jobbed. My dream job in fact.

In the end it wasn't my grades, my journal, or my hustle that got me the job (though I'm sure all of those helped in significant ways - don't slack on trying to get good grades and extracurriculars) - it was my network.

I got selected for AF JAG - failed medical. Interviews with like 12 PD offices nationwide (including second and third rounds) - no offers.

In the end a couple of friends I had made at the local PDs went down to the hiring partner and demanded my reconsideration. With them went recommendations from four other people I had worked with there, and a supervisor I had met at a party.

So... I can't say my guide will work for everyone. But I will say it worked like a charm for me, and it isn't going to kill anyone here on TLS to try it. Good luck to all y'all going into school now. May you all get jobs.

Grats! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Caesar Salad
Posts: 7521
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby Caesar Salad » Sat May 10, 2014 12:53 am

spleenworship wrote:So... I am jobbed. My dream job in fact.

In the end it wasn't my grades, my journal, or my hustle that got me the job (though I'm sure all of those helped in significant ways - don't slack on trying to get good grades and extracurriculars) - it was my network.

I got selected for AF JAG - failed medical. Interviews with like 12 PD offices nationwide (including second and third rounds) - no offers.

In the end a couple of friends I had made at the local PDs went down to the hiring partner and demanded my reconsideration. With them went recommendations from four other people I had worked with there, and a supervisor I had met at a party.

So... I can't say my guide will work for everyone. But I will say it worked like a charm for me, and it isn't going to kill anyone here on TLS to try it. Good luck to all y'all going into school now. May you all get jobs.


Awesome! Just saw this thread for the first time and read through it, it was cool to read through your path to getting this job, the other opportunities that came and went, and how it all really hinged on networking. I will be starting at a regional school in the fall so this perspective/advice (as a bunch of people already said) is greatly appreciated.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Spleen's Guide to Success at a Strong Regional T1/2/3

Postby Danger Zone » Sat May 10, 2014 2:19 am

I read this before starting school, and the advice has served me very well. Thanks for the OP spleen, and congrats on the PD job!




Return to “TLS Content Competitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest