Page 3 of 4

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am
by Schang1
Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:17 pm
by SisterRayVU
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm
by Schang1
SisterRayVU wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.


I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 pm
by thelawyler
Schang1 wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.


I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay


It's really mostly due to their ED option. If you do RD with a low GPA, prepare to be wait listed.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm
by Schang1
thelawyler wrote:
Schang1 wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.


I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay


It's really mostly due to their ED option. If you do RD with a low GPA, prepare to be wait listed.


aww I see how it works now.. Are you aware if UVA requires a "why UVA" essay for ED? I don't think I can apply ED since I'm retaking the December lsat but just curious :)

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:58 pm
by crumpetsandtea
Schang1 wrote:aww I see how it works now.. Are you aware if UVA requires a "why UVA" essay for ED? I don't think I can apply ED since I'm retaking the December lsat but just curious :)

They don't require a Why UVa per se, but it's VERY heavily suggested, for both RD and ED.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:56 am
by 3v3ryth1ng
This is the best thing I've seen/heard here, and thank you for putting this together :)

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:13 pm
by Cookies
How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:41 pm
by Samara
Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

I would check out the URM forums for a better answer than I can give you, but GPA floors don't really apply to URMs. I've seen some URMs get in with pretty low GPAs.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:56 am
by Cookies
Samara wrote:
Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

I would check out the URM forums for a better answer than I can give you, but GPA floors don't really apply to URMs. I've seen some URMs get in with pretty low GPAs.


Sweet thanks, because I just got offered a chance to go to an international speaking competition which if I place would be a HUGE boost for me. And I have an interview for a couple great jobs so I'm excited to see how this will boost my applications.

Great thread btw, I showed it to my dad and it was like, "Wow... this is so meticulous". Usually we fight over EVERYTHING that has to do with GPAs and LSAT Scores but we were both able to have a great convo over the information provided in this thread.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 pm
by chill
.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 am
by splitmuch
If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:16 am
by JamMasterJ
splitmuch wrote:If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

Cornell's is more a "floor with exceptions" than an actual floor, a la Michigan

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:35 pm
by chill
.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:40 pm
by Samara
chill wrote:Iowa also took me, as of this morning. So for any future splitters reading through this, both W&M and Iowa took a sub-3.0 student who had a 179. Overall, neither should be red, I think.

1) You're an extreme splitter who should be looking at much higher-ranked schools than W&M and Iowa. The ratings are more useful to people who are more in the range of those schools.

2) A red rating doesn't mean that no splitter ever gets in. It means that it is less splitter-friendly. If you had a 168, you'd have a lot better luck at WUSTL or IU-B than W&M, which is the range of applicant that the rating is more useful for.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm
by chill
.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 pm
by Samara
chill wrote:
Samara wrote:
chill wrote:Iowa also took me, as of this morning. So for any future splitters reading through this, both W&M and Iowa took a sub-3.0 student who had a 179. Overall, neither should be red, I think.

1) You're an extreme splitter who should be looking at much higher-ranked schools than W&M and Iowa. The ratings are more useful to people who are more in the range of those schools.

2) A red rating doesn't mean that no splitter ever gets in. It means that it is less splitter-friendly. If you had a 168, you'd have a lot better luck at WUSTL or IU-B than W&M, which is the range of applicant that the rating is more useful for.


I have applied at higher-ranked schools, but have only heard back from those two so far (I'm hoping to get more replies soon, because my cycle is probably going to be wildly unpredictable and I am going a little crazy from the uncertainty). I think you're right about leaving 'em red-- most splitters are much less extreme than me. I read TLS for the past year, though, and hadn't come across many people with my stats. I foresee your post being popular for splitters in the future, and I'm hoping some other extreme splitter will find my stats and result helpful while reading this thread. I'm a full GPA point below both schools' medians, so my LSAT score carried me. Anyway, thank you for this post. I think it's really informative and will probably help people like me in the future. There's a certain amount of neuroticism that comes along with being a supersplitter, ha.

Glad you liked it! There are a few of us extreme splitters out there, but it is kind of lonely looking at LSN and seeing three people anywhere close to you. I'm not quite as extreme as you, but have similar numbers. I'm hoping to end up at Northwestern, but I'm just glad that there are top schools that are willing to give people like you and me a second chance.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:17 pm
by crumpetsandtea
chill wrote:I have applied at higher-ranked schools, but have only heard back from those two so far (I'm hoping to get more replies soon, because my cycle is probably going to be wildly unpredictable and I am going a little crazy from the uncertainty). I think you're right about leaving 'em red-- most splitters are much less extreme than me. I read TLS for the past year, though, and hadn't come across many people with my stats. I foresee your post being popular for splitters in the future, and I'm hoping some other extreme splitter will find my stats and result helpful while reading this thread. I'm a full GPA point below both schools' medians, so my LSAT score carried me. Anyway, thank you for this post. I think it's really informative and will probably help people like me in the future. There's a certain amount of neuroticism that comes along with being a supersplitter, ha.

Are you on LSN, by any chance? I'm whimsical, I think we may have been messaging each other!

If not, whoops, awkward :oops: I totally know what you mean about going crazy from the uncertainty, though. >_<!!!

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:27 pm
by splitmuch
JamMasterJ wrote:
splitmuch wrote:If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

Cornell's is more a "floor with exceptions" than an actual floor, a la Michigan


so....a soft floor?

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:29 pm
by Samara
splitmuch wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
splitmuch wrote:If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

Cornell's is more a "floor with exceptions" than an actual floor, a la Michigan


so....a soft floor?

Sure, I'd agree with that. Will add that when I update for the new numbers. (Coming soon!)

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:18 pm
by Geetar Man
From a fellow splitter, thank you!!

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm
by Br3v
tag for the table

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 pm
by lutcf2021
This is solid stuff.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:31 pm
by bk1
Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...


Depends on the school. Generally GPA floors will be firmer than LSAT floors for URM's. Columbia's 10-11 cycle looked like a 3.5 floor for non-URM and a 3.3 floor for URM.

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 am
by togepi
Has any of the schools shifted to be more splitter friendly in the face of decreasing admissions?