How to be a Successful Splitter

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am

Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:

User avatar
SisterRayVU
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:56 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby SisterRayVU » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.


I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay

User avatar
thelawyler
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby thelawyler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Schang1 wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.


I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay


It's really mostly due to their ED option. If you do RD with a low GPA, prepare to be wait listed.

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

thelawyler wrote:
Schang1 wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:


The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.


I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay


It's really mostly due to their ED option. If you do RD with a low GPA, prepare to be wait listed.


aww I see how it works now.. Are you aware if UVA requires a "why UVA" essay for ED? I don't think I can apply ED since I'm retaking the December lsat but just curious :)

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Schang1 wrote:aww I see how it works now.. Are you aware if UVA requires a "why UVA" essay for ED? I don't think I can apply ED since I'm retaking the December lsat but just curious :)

They don't require a Why UVa per se, but it's VERY heavily suggested, for both RD and ED.

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:56 am

This is the best thing I've seen/heard here, and thank you for putting this together :)

User avatar
Cookies
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Cookies » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:13 pm

How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Samara » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

I would check out the URM forums for a better answer than I can give you, but GPA floors don't really apply to URMs. I've seen some URMs get in with pretty low GPAs.

User avatar
Cookies
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Cookies » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:56 am

Samara wrote:
Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

I would check out the URM forums for a better answer than I can give you, but GPA floors don't really apply to URMs. I've seen some URMs get in with pretty low GPAs.


Sweet thanks, because I just got offered a chance to go to an international speaking competition which if I place would be a HUGE boost for me. And I have an interview for a couple great jobs so I'm excited to see how this will boost my applications.

Great thread btw, I showed it to my dad and it was like, "Wow... this is so meticulous". Usually we fight over EVERYTHING that has to do with GPAs and LSAT Scores but we were both able to have a great convo over the information provided in this thread.

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby chill » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby splitmuch » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 am

If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:16 am

splitmuch wrote:If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

Cornell's is more a "floor with exceptions" than an actual floor, a la Michigan

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby chill » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:35 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Samara » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:40 pm

chill wrote:Iowa also took me, as of this morning. So for any future splitters reading through this, both W&M and Iowa took a sub-3.0 student who had a 179. Overall, neither should be red, I think.

1) You're an extreme splitter who should be looking at much higher-ranked schools than W&M and Iowa. The ratings are more useful to people who are more in the range of those schools.

2) A red rating doesn't mean that no splitter ever gets in. It means that it is less splitter-friendly. If you had a 168, you'd have a lot better luck at WUSTL or IU-B than W&M, which is the range of applicant that the rating is more useful for.

User avatar
chill
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:55 am

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby chill » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

.
Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Samara » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 pm

chill wrote:
Samara wrote:
chill wrote:Iowa also took me, as of this morning. So for any future splitters reading through this, both W&M and Iowa took a sub-3.0 student who had a 179. Overall, neither should be red, I think.

1) You're an extreme splitter who should be looking at much higher-ranked schools than W&M and Iowa. The ratings are more useful to people who are more in the range of those schools.

2) A red rating doesn't mean that no splitter ever gets in. It means that it is less splitter-friendly. If you had a 168, you'd have a lot better luck at WUSTL or IU-B than W&M, which is the range of applicant that the rating is more useful for.


I have applied at higher-ranked schools, but have only heard back from those two so far (I'm hoping to get more replies soon, because my cycle is probably going to be wildly unpredictable and I am going a little crazy from the uncertainty). I think you're right about leaving 'em red-- most splitters are much less extreme than me. I read TLS for the past year, though, and hadn't come across many people with my stats. I foresee your post being popular for splitters in the future, and I'm hoping some other extreme splitter will find my stats and result helpful while reading this thread. I'm a full GPA point below both schools' medians, so my LSAT score carried me. Anyway, thank you for this post. I think it's really informative and will probably help people like me in the future. There's a certain amount of neuroticism that comes along with being a supersplitter, ha.

Glad you liked it! There are a few of us extreme splitters out there, but it is kind of lonely looking at LSN and seeing three people anywhere close to you. I'm not quite as extreme as you, but have similar numbers. I'm hoping to end up at Northwestern, but I'm just glad that there are top schools that are willing to give people like you and me a second chance.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:17 pm

chill wrote:I have applied at higher-ranked schools, but have only heard back from those two so far (I'm hoping to get more replies soon, because my cycle is probably going to be wildly unpredictable and I am going a little crazy from the uncertainty). I think you're right about leaving 'em red-- most splitters are much less extreme than me. I read TLS for the past year, though, and hadn't come across many people with my stats. I foresee your post being popular for splitters in the future, and I'm hoping some other extreme splitter will find my stats and result helpful while reading this thread. I'm a full GPA point below both schools' medians, so my LSAT score carried me. Anyway, thank you for this post. I think it's really informative and will probably help people like me in the future. There's a certain amount of neuroticism that comes along with being a supersplitter, ha.

Are you on LSN, by any chance? I'm whimsical, I think we may have been messaging each other!

If not, whoops, awkward :oops: I totally know what you mean about going crazy from the uncertainty, though. >_<!!!

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby splitmuch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:27 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
splitmuch wrote:If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

Cornell's is more a "floor with exceptions" than an actual floor, a la Michigan


so....a soft floor?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Samara » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:29 pm

splitmuch wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
splitmuch wrote:If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

Cornell's is more a "floor with exceptions" than an actual floor, a la Michigan


so....a soft floor?

Sure, I'd agree with that. Will add that when I update for the new numbers. (Coming soon!)

User avatar
Geetar Man
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 4:13 am

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:18 pm

From a fellow splitter, thank you!!

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby Br3v » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm

tag for the table

lutcf2021
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby lutcf2021 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 pm

This is solid stuff.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...


Depends on the school. Generally GPA floors will be firmer than LSAT floors for URM's. Columbia's 10-11 cycle looked like a 3.5 floor for non-URM and a 3.3 floor for URM.

User avatar
togepi
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 10:13 am

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Postby togepi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 am

Has any of the schools shifted to be more splitter friendly in the face of decreasing admissions?




Return to “TLS Content Competitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest