How to be a Successful Splitter Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Schang1

Bronze

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Post by Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:40 am

Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:
The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:46 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Sorry guys, this may be a stupid question, but what is a "gpa floor"?? :oops:
The lowest GPA a school will consider if you aren't an URM. But some will dip a little below if you have a great LSAT or other good qualities, but some have really hard GPA floors.
I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:28 pm

Schang1 wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:
I see, thanks!! :) I'm shocked to learn that UVA has a pretty low gpa floor! Yay
It's really mostly due to their ED option. If you do RD with a low GPA, prepare to be wait listed.

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:40 pm

thelawyler wrote:
Schang1 wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:
It's really mostly due to their ED option. If you do RD with a low GPA, prepare to be wait listed.
aww I see how it works now.. Are you aware if UVA requires a "why UVA" essay for ED? I don't think I can apply ED since I'm retaking the December lsat but just curious :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:58 pm

Schang1 wrote:aww I see how it works now.. Are you aware if UVA requires a "why UVA" essay for ED? I don't think I can apply ED since I'm retaking the December lsat but just curious :)
They don't require a Why UVa per se, but it's VERY heavily suggested, for both RD and ED.

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:56 am

This is the best thing I've seen/heard here, and thank you for putting this together :)

Cookies

New

Post by Cookies » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:13 pm

How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

Because I have tons of leadership experience and volunteer work... etc etc And I am working my butt off to try getting my GPA to a 3.5 since I'm on a quarter system and currently around 3.1...but I don't want to be overly optimistic...
I would check out the URM forums for a better answer than I can give you, but GPA floors don't really apply to URMs. I've seen some URMs get in with pretty low GPAs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cookies

New

Post by Cookies » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:56 am

Samara wrote:
Cookies wrote:How much of a difference do you think being a URM would make for say Columbia in terms of their GPA floor? about -3?

I would check out the URM forums for a better answer than I can give you, but GPA floors don't really apply to URMs. I've seen some URMs get in with pretty low GPAs.
Sweet thanks, because I just got offered a chance to go to an international speaking competition which if I place would be a HUGE boost for me. And I have an interview for a couple great jobs so I'm excited to see how this will boost my applications.

Great thread btw, I showed it to my dad and it was like, "Wow... this is so meticulous". Usually we fight over EVERYTHING that has to do with GPAs and LSAT Scores but we were both able to have a great convo over the information provided in this thread.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 am

If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:16 am

splitmuch wrote:If Cornell's GPA florr is 3.3 then its definitely a soft floor
Cornell's is more a "floor with exceptions" than an actual floor, a la Michigan

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:40 pm

chill wrote:Iowa also took me, as of this morning. So for any future splitters reading through this, both W&M and Iowa took a sub-3.0 student who had a 179. Overall, neither should be red, I think.
1) You're an extreme splitter who should be looking at much higher-ranked schools than W&M and Iowa. The ratings are more useful to people who are more in the range of those schools.

2) A red rating doesn't mean that no splitter ever gets in. It means that it is less splitter-friendly. If you had a 168, you'd have a lot better luck at WUSTL or IU-B than W&M, which is the range of applicant that the rating is more useful for.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:57 pm

chill wrote:
Samara wrote:
chill wrote:Iowa also took me, as of this morning. So for any future splitters reading through this, both W&M and Iowa took a sub-3.0 student who had a 179. Overall, neither should be red, I think.
1) You're an extreme splitter who should be looking at much higher-ranked schools than W&M and Iowa. The ratings are more useful to people who are more in the range of those schools.

2) A red rating doesn't mean that no splitter ever gets in. It means that it is less splitter-friendly. If you had a 168, you'd have a lot better luck at WUSTL or IU-B than W&M, which is the range of applicant that the rating is more useful for.
I have applied at higher-ranked schools, but have only heard back from those two so far (I'm hoping to get more replies soon, because my cycle is probably going to be wildly unpredictable and I am going a little crazy from the uncertainty). I think you're right about leaving 'em red-- most splitters are much less extreme than me. I read TLS for the past year, though, and hadn't come across many people with my stats. I foresee your post being popular for splitters in the future, and I'm hoping some other extreme splitter will find my stats and result helpful while reading this thread. I'm a full GPA point below both schools' medians, so my LSAT score carried me. Anyway, thank you for this post. I think it's really informative and will probably help people like me in the future. There's a certain amount of neuroticism that comes along with being a supersplitter, ha.
Glad you liked it! There are a few of us extreme splitters out there, but it is kind of lonely looking at LSN and seeing three people anywhere close to you. I'm not quite as extreme as you, but have similar numbers. I'm hoping to end up at Northwestern, but I'm just glad that there are top schools that are willing to give people like you and me a second chance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:17 pm

chill wrote:I have applied at higher-ranked schools, but have only heard back from those two so far (I'm hoping to get more replies soon, because my cycle is probably going to be wildly unpredictable and I am going a little crazy from the uncertainty). I think you're right about leaving 'em red-- most splitters are much less extreme than me. I read TLS for the past year, though, and hadn't come across many people with my stats. I foresee your post being popular for splitters in the future, and I'm hoping some other extreme splitter will find my stats and result helpful while reading this thread. I'm a full GPA point below both schools' medians, so my LSAT score carried me. Anyway, thank you for this post. I think it's really informative and will probably help people like me in the future. There's a certain amount of neuroticism that comes along with being a supersplitter, ha.
Are you on LSN, by any chance? I'm whimsical, I think we may have been messaging each other!

If not, whoops, awkward :oops: I totally know what you mean about going crazy from the uncertainty, though. >_<!!!

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:27 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
so....a soft floor?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:29 pm

splitmuch wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
so....a soft floor?
Sure, I'd agree with that. Will add that when I update for the new numbers. (Coming soon!)

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:18 pm

From a fellow splitter, thank you!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:30 pm

tag for the table

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 pm

This is solid stuff.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:31 pm

Depends on the school. Generally GPA floors will be firmer than LSAT floors for URM's. Columbia's 10-11 cycle looked like a 3.5 floor for non-URM and a 3.3 floor for URM.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 am

Has any of the schools shifted to be more splitter friendly in the face of decreasing admissions?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”