How to be a Successful Splitter Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
Samara

Gold

Re: How to be a Successful Splitter

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:17 am

Okay, yeah, after more analysis, the complete lack of a GPA floor bumps IU-B into the green. Thanks for the input guys.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:47 am

Updated with GPA floors and rating tweaks.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am

Samara wrote:Updated with GPA floors and rating tweaks.
Valuable addition.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:47 am

Another tweak: I'd switch Wash U to no GPA floor.

Again, great work on this thing and no disrespect intended.
Last edited by Bumi on Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Bumi wrote:Another tweak: I'd switch Wash U to url="http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011"]no GPA floor.[/url]

Again, great work on this thing and no disrespect intended.
Thanks for the input! If you look at past years, people below 2.8 were much more likely to get waitlisted. That's why I put 2.8/soft floor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thisisme

New

Post by thisisme » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:11 pm

-
Last edited by thisisme on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pocahontas

New

Post by Pocahontas » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Should I reach my target score, I'll be an extreme splitter as well. Damn SEC sports! Big thanks for the information!

santaclara12

New

Post by santaclara12 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:15 pm

What are the thoughts on ED? I'ma k-jd, 3.5, 170 (goal LSAT but getting there). Is NYU worthless? What are the T14s most likely as a reach for ED?

Thanks!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:55 pm

santaclara12 wrote:What are the thoughts on ED? I'ma k-jd, 3.5, 170 (goal LSAT but getting there). Is NYU worthless? What are the T14s most likely as a reach for ED?

Thanks!
You're below both 25ths at NYU, with no WE, so unless you have some sort of really compelling soft, I think it's a waste. Virginia's ED is famous for having the biggest boost and you're a prime candidate since their GPA 25th is 3.51 and LSAT median is 170. Come back with a real score though, because even one or two points over or under 170 can make a big difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:10 pm

Thank you very much for this :) although I'll probably have to knock off Cornell from schools I can apply to due to GPA :(

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:13 pm

SisterRayVU wrote:Thank you very much for this :) although I'll probably have to knock off Cornell from schools I can apply to due to GPA :(
What's your GPA? It may still be worth the app; Cornell has a record of reaching below their floor here and there.

SisterRayVU

Bronze

Post by SisterRayVU » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Samara wrote:
SisterRayVU wrote:Thank you very much for this :) although I'll probably have to knock off Cornell from schools I can apply to due to GPA :(
What's your GPA? It may still be worth the app; Cornell has a record of reaching below their floor here and there.
3.18 D:

Hopefully decent work experience and internship with a Congressional office and campaign for 2+ years + everything else will help a bit for other schools. Looking towards Georgetown, Fordham, UVA, NU, and GW to apply to, not necessarily in that order. Should I write any of them off? My plan atm was to ED UVA and EA Cornell since I really have nothing to lose except a few dollars, and then ED Georgetown etc etc and apply early to the rest.

uofrhopefull

New

Post by uofrhopefull » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:37 am

Thank you so much for starting this thread!

As a non-traditional splitter it's good to know there are quite a few of us in the same boat.

I wish I had more options for applying, but I'm confined to three schools that are close, and with my split it looks like I'll end up at U of Richmond.

From what I can see at LSN it looks like they're not only pretty splitter friendly, but they offer some schollys to us who managed to have a year of college blow up their entire GPA

Also, I'm a 2.78 lsdas (2.94) with a 172.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:33 pm

uofrhopefull wrote:Thank you so much for starting this thread!

As a non-traditional splitter it's good to know there are quite a few of us in the same boat.

I wish I had more options for applying, but I'm confined to three schools that are close, and with my split it looks like I'll end up at U of Richmond.

From what I can see at LSN it looks like they're not only pretty splitter friendly, but they offer some schollys to us who managed to have a year of college blow up their entire GPA

Why are you limiting yourself to Richmond? I assume you need to stay in Virginia? With those numbers, I would ED to UVa unless you're worried about paying sticker. Non-trads are a bit unpredictable, so I'd say UVa is worth the app. You also have a good shot at GULC and a great shot at GW. (GW also has that full-ride ED program if you're worried about debt.) You're in at W&L and George Mason for schools that are a little closer to Richmond.

I haven't seen much data on <T1 schools, but I would imagine that with a 172, Richmond would throw money at you like crazy. What are the other schools you are considering?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Samara wrote:

Why are you limiting yourself to Richmond? I assume you need to stay in Virginia? With those numbers, I would ED to UVa unless you're worried about paying sticker. Non-trads are a bit unpredictable, so I'd say UVa is worth the app. You also have a good shot at GULC and a great shot at GW. (GW also has that full-ride ED program if you're worried about debt.) You're in at W&L and George Mason for schools that are a little closer to Richmond.

I haven't seen much data on <T1 schools, but I would imagine that with a 172, Richmond would throw money at you like crazy. What are the other schools you are considering?
GW ED won't work with the GPA, but yeah, you need to be aiming higher than Richmond

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:45 pm

So, Samara, what are your thoughts on how splitters will fare in the upcoming cycle, assuming the number of applications is down again (as they will be **IF** the number of LSATs taken is any guide)?

I mean, applications were down for the cycle just completed, but it was no boon for splitters as far as I know.

Thoughts welcome; thanks.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:46 pm

Robespierre wrote:So, Samara, what are your thoughts on how splitters will fare in the upcoming cycle, assuming the number of applications is down again (as they will be **IF** the number of LSATs taken is any guide)?

I mean, applications were down for the cycle just completed, but it was no boon for splitters as far as I know.

Thoughts welcome; thanks.
It could misplaced optimism, but I see this as a good year for splitters. Applications should be down again. There seems to be more awareness of how tough the legal market is right now, which should help drive down applications.

Last cycle, we saw decreased applications and steady medians, but pretty much every school I've heard about decreased their class sizes significantly, which helped them maintained medians without taking splitters. I think it's unlikely they will decrease class size again. Some have even said their size will be going back up. If all this turns out to be true, we should see a strong cycle for splitters.

ETA: I was just checking out the new medians thread and GPA medians were down or basically even pretty much across the board, even considering a lot of class size reduction. Only IU-B and UC-Davis increased their LSAT medians. I think this cycle looks good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uofrhopefull

New

Post by uofrhopefull » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Samara wrote:

I'm hoping I end up with the JM Scholarship at Richmond, but we will see. I'm going to ED to UVA and RD to William & Mary. I feel like my work experience will definitely help, one of my LORs is from a former Atty General of Virginia.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 pm

Super helpful! Thanks so much.

I guess I'm technically a splitter, and my GPA is just a hair (.01) below the Harvard "floor". Fingers crossed that the floor is carpeted and can sink a little.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:35 am

Curious1 wrote:Super helpful! Thanks so much.

I guess I'm technically a splitter, and my GPA is just a hair (.01) below the Harvard "floor". Fingers crossed that the floor is carpeted and can sink a little.
Definitely. I'd say Harvard has a softer floor than YSCC and probably N. Their large class size helps make that floor permeable. Good luck!

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Samara, please take another look at the BU numbers. I think you've got the LSAT 75th and 50th transposed, and the GPA Range doesn't look right.

Thanks again for the awesome guide and chart. Big splitter here, so you'll be hearing from me more.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:50 pm

What do you think GW is looking for in their ED candidates? I'm guessing only people above both medians?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Robespierre wrote:Samara, please take another look at the BU numbers. I think you've got the LSAT 75th and 50th transposed, and the GPA Range doesn't look right.

Thanks again for the awesome guide and chart. Big splitter here, so you'll be hearing from me more.
Thanks catching that. I'll probably wait for updated cycle info to be released and post an update all at once.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:25 pm

minnbills wrote:What do you think GW is looking for in their ED candidates? I'm guessing only people above both medians?
There's very little LSN data on this, so it's hard to say for sure, but from what I can tell, to get the ED scholarship you need to be above both medians and at or above at least one of the 75ths. It looks like they give out only a handful, so only exceptionally-qualified students are getting them. The idea of the full-ride ED is to poach applicants that would otherwise have a lot of incentive to go to a higher-ranked school.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:33 am

This is really useful. Thanks for making it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”