Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
User avatar
wamanda
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby wamanda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:44 pm

Just to put that out there, I have already read this: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373
I am looking for more situation-specific advice.

Hey everybody,

I was just offered a 75K scholarship from BU, which I am super excited about. However, with their less-than-amazing LRAP and my unwavering interest in PI, I would like to negotiate that up a bit, if I can.

The only real leverage I have is a 60K scholarship at UCLA, which I had already mentioned to them before I got the 75K offer. Other things I could possibly use are the fact that UCLA's tuition is slightly cheaper (I am a CA resident), my family is in LA, so I could potentially face a lower COL by going there. Would any of these reasons be convincing? Also, I have time leverage, since UCLA's deposit deadline is in two days. :shock:

I already tried to use BU's offer to leverage UCLA, but they aren't budging so far.

Other than that, I am wondering if I should maybe retake the LSAT in June to use as leverage (I got a 168, but I know I totally underperformed). Also, I am on several T14 waitlists. If one were to accept me some time this summer, what are the chances I could use that to leverage BU?

I also haven't gotten financial aid info from them, but I am hoping that it might be generous. I am pretty low-income ($10K-ish), but I am 22, so I don't know if they assume my parents are helping (they are not...). Anyone have any expertise in this area? What is a typical grant offer with that low of an income, and does merit aid affect my eligibility much?

Any advice or strategies are welcome. Thanks!!

User avatar
wamanda
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby wamanda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Also, I should mention that I am not scoffing at BU's current offer. It is very, very generous, and I am happy for it. I am just super debt-averse, and want to get the best I can. Thanks!

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18401
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby bk1 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:51 pm

I think you have the wrong forum.

User avatar
wamanda
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 pm

Re: Negotiating with BU and UCLA--by this Friday

Postby wamanda » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Ah, shit. Sorry about that. Moving...

I am here now: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=154291




Return to “TLS Content Competitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests