Real World Virgins: An Argument for Work Experience Forum

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
wskbarrett

New

Re: Real World Virgins: An Argument for Work Experience

Post by wskbarrett » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:55 pm

"But the thing is, not understanding that it's work that sucks will lead many of them to believe that it's law that sucks, and be miserable lawyers instead of just miserable people."

yes

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 pm

IAFG wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I find this thread a little insulting as right now I am holding down 2 jobs for about 60 hours a week during the summer and during school I work about 30 hours a week. And that includes paying bills. It is likely that my cycle will suffer because I will be a K-JD, but I don't think it is fair.
Sorry bro but it is not the same.
Nah, I would say it's actually harder to do this. Sorry bro.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:20 pm

Chickensoup wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I find this thread a little insulting as right now I am holding down 2 jobs for about 60 hours a week during the summer and during school I work about 30 hours a week. And that includes paying bills. It is likely that my cycle will suffer because I will be a K-JD, but I don't think it is fair.
Sorry bro but it is not the same.
Nah, I would say it's actually harder to do this. Sorry bro.
I don't care if it's harder. That's not the point. It's not about stretching yourself to your max; most jobs are never going to do that. It's about facing the daily grind with no end in sight (end of semester, end of summer, whatever) and realizing for yourself what you need from your job or can't give to your job in that situation.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm

There is definitely something about knowing that the job you have is only temporary that makes you feel better about it. At least, that's how I felt when I worked while in college. Once you're out of college, you have to face the possibility that you could be doing this day in and day out for the rest of your life. I think that's what makes it worse.

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Post by xjustyoursmile » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:06 pm

I agree with OP 100%

Picking up a retail job during my year off has really helped me mature my perspective in a way that I know will help me in law school. I think tasting the real world before commiting to a career path is a good idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mastahodang

New

Post by mastahodang » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Thank you for the post Pearalegal. I actually postponed my application a year so I can really reevaluate my options for law school. I felt like I was jumping right into it without thinking and never really thought about getting a paralegal or legal clerkship. I'm not sure if I'll be working but I'm glad I postponed it anyway because I knew I wasn't 100% sure, and that wasn't a good sign.

h_jane_w

New

Post by h_jane_w » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Bump.
Everyone should have WE before LS.
Especially those thinking about going into biglaw. Get some experience in biglaw before signing over your soul.
It's like....marrying someone without having sex first. Way to (possibly) doom a marriage.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:12 pm

But I'd say that not all work experience is the same. Working as a teacher had its own set of frustrations, but it was completely unlike what I've experienced so far doing legal work (internships/externships/etc). Honestly, I regret my choice now. Perhaps we should recommend people do work in conditions that approximate whatever they intend to do in the long term.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm

The worst thing a 0L can do is try to study for the LSAT while working full time. I graduated from undergrad in December of 2008. The best way to have gone about it was to interview with companies in the Spring of 2009. By the time I would have been hired in April or May, I would have got most of my studying done for the LSAT. This would have been perfect: I would have made some money, got a good LSAT score, got some work experience and taken some time off after undergrad. I would have then applied for entrance into law school that Fall of 2009 for the following year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:32 pm

nickb285 wrote:
cinephile wrote:There is definitely something about knowing that the job you have is only temporary that makes you feel better about it. At least, that's how I felt when I worked while in college. Once you're out of college, you have to face the possibility that you could be doing this day in and day out for the rest of your life. I think that's what makes it worse.
This. I was so used to all of my jobs being "until I graduate" or "until next semester" or whatever that realizing there was no endpoint was a shock. My first job out of college was contracted and the second was temp, so I still had a bit of an endpoint there, but once I got into my next job that sense of "Oh God, if I'm competent at this but don't take steps on my own to advance or change paths, I could be doing this exact thing UNTIL I DIE" hit a few months in, and forced me to reevaluate various life plans.
I feel like it's the same sense of dread you get from thinking about marriage. Maybe one day I'll overcome it, but that day's not today.

mastahodang

New

Post by mastahodang » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:29 pm

So do you think any work experience (non-legal) will be worth the time to do a full-time job for as long as it has some quality features and networking assets? There is something I do want to give a last swing at before law school but totally unrelated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”