The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
aliceydu

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby aliceydu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:01 am

Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to work abroad (Asia)? Or would the things they be do so different that it's not going to be attractive to future employers in the United States?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 am

aliceydu wrote:Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to work abroad (Asia)? Or would the things they be do so different that it's not going to be attractive to future employers in the United States?

IMO it is a great idea. Many of my classmates had experience working in Asia and it seemed to be a plus for them. Also, if you speak any of the languages that is a boon. In fact, one of my classmates landed a 1L SA gig at a V10 in part because s/he spoke Japanese and expressed an interest in working there after graduation (because of the earthquake and nuclear disaster s/he ended working stateside, but that's probably neither here nor there- lol)

aliceydu

Postby aliceydu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

swc65 wrote:
aliceydu wrote:Thanks for the tips!

IMO it is a great idea. Many of my classmates had experience working in Asia and it seemed to be a plus for them. Also, if you speak any of the languages that is a boon. In fact, one of my classmates landed a 1L SA gig at a V10 in part because s/he spoke Japanese and expressed an interest in working there after graduation (because of the earthquake and nuclear disaster s/he ended working stateside, but that's probably neither here nor there- lol)

Yay! Haha. I'm Chinese, and I actually want to work for an international law firm that does corporate law between China and America. I'm a noob so I don't know if that makes sense.

T00L

Postby T00L » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

tag

parebare23

Postby parebare23 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 am

iskim88

Postby iskim88 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:48 am

Tagging. Thank you so much for this!

Loney M. Setnick

Postby Loney M. Setnick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:40 am

Has anyone read, "Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams?" Is it worth reading?

Monday

Postby Monday » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:27 pm

Loney M. Setnick wrote:Has anyone read, "Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams?" Is it worth reading?

Haven't read it but:

vanwinkle wrote:One 0L-specific piece of advice I've seen that I should start with is to read the book "Guerilla Tactics For Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams" before you even start law school. The idea is that you won't have time during your 1L year to sit down and read this book. I'm a 1L and I haven't had time to go track down a copy and read it, so I can definitely agree with this. As such I have no idea whether it's worth reading or not, but if you think you'll want to read it at some point, read it before school starts and you still have time.

Return to “TLS Content Competitions”