The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Many years ago TLS held a content competition. The competition is no longer active, but this forum keeps going.
User avatar
aliceydu
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby aliceydu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:01 am

Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to work abroad (Asia)? Or would the things they be do so different that it's not going to be attractive to future employers in the United States?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby swc65 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:55 am

aliceydu wrote:Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to work abroad (Asia)? Or would the things they be do so different that it's not going to be attractive to future employers in the United States?



IMO it is a great idea. Many of my classmates had experience working in Asia and it seemed to be a plus for them. Also, if you speak any of the languages that is a boon. In fact, one of my classmates landed a 1L SA gig at a V10 in part because s/he spoke Japanese and expressed an interest in working there after graduation (because of the earthquake and nuclear disaster s/he ended working stateside, but that's probably neither here nor there- lol)

User avatar
aliceydu
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby aliceydu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

swc65 wrote:
aliceydu wrote:Thanks for the tips!

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to work abroad (Asia)? Or would the things they be do so different that it's not going to be attractive to future employers in the United States?



IMO it is a great idea. Many of my classmates had experience working in Asia and it seemed to be a plus for them. Also, if you speak any of the languages that is a boon. In fact, one of my classmates landed a 1L SA gig at a V10 in part because s/he spoke Japanese and expressed an interest in working there after graduation (because of the earthquake and nuclear disaster s/he ended working stateside, but that's probably neither here nor there- lol)


Yay! Haha. I'm Chinese, and I actually want to work for an international law firm that does corporate law between China and America. I'm a noob so I don't know if that makes sense.

User avatar
T00L
Posts: 600
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby T00L » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:41 pm

tag

parebare23
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby parebare23 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:21 am

.

iskim88
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 5:21 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby iskim88 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:48 am

Tagging. Thank you so much for this!

Loney M. Setnick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:28 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby Loney M. Setnick » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:40 am

Has anyone read, "Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams?" Is it worth reading?

Monday
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby Monday » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:27 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Wed May 10, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ashrice13
Posts: 1792
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby ashrice13 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 am

Tagging! :)

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Is all of this still current? Including the NALP rule?

uhwrestler
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby uhwrestler » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:34 am

tag

KijiStewart
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby KijiStewart » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:46 am

If you're in undergrad and are assigned some remotely legal-related research project, do it on something where a firm you may be interested in conducted the legal work. Then once you're in 1L, cold e-mail the partner on the file and take it from there.

It worked for me (albeit doing the project wasn't pre-textual).

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4593
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby proteinshake » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 pm

tag

User avatar
WinterComing
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:10 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby WinterComing » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Is all of this still current? Including the NALP rule?


Dec. 1 is still the rule.

User avatar
potus
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby potus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Is it peculiar that my school doesn't have this rule? We had a large group career services orientation. We're scheduling mandatory 1-on-1 meetings now (in October) to strategize and finalize our resumes. I'm pretty much all set to apply to some internships that have deadlines in Oct. or Nov., although not my first choice by far.

Anyone also have any connections to elder law?

AaronCarter
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby AaronCarter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 pm

tag

Leisreana
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:05 am

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby Leisreana » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:51 pm

tag

carsondalywashere
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: The 1L Job Hunt: A Guide For 0Ls

Postby carsondalywashere » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm

potus wrote:Is it peculiar that my school doesn't have this rule? We had a large group career services orientation. We're scheduling mandatory 1-on-1 meetings now (in October) to strategize and finalize our resumes. I'm pretty much all set to apply to some internships that have deadlines in Oct. or Nov., although not my first choice by far.

Anyone also have any connections to elder law?

NALP firms won't look at your resume until December 1st. This doesn't necessarily apply to other firms




Return to “TLS Content Competitions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests