Even mid-sized NJ firms shun Seton Hall grads Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
sad truth

New

Even mid-sized NJ firms shun Seton Hall grads

Post by sad truth » Sat May 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Just scroll thru the attorney bios for this mid-size NJ firm. This place is a joke and pays about half what a real Biglaw firm pays, and notice how few SH grads are working there even though its 15 miles from the school:

http://www.cmk.com/

Do the same for McCarter, Cozen, Sill Cummis etc. All the semi-legitimate NJ firms are mostly staffed with Fordham and up grads. Seton Hall can't even place anyone in NEW JERSEY, depsite the fact that NJ only has 3 law schools. Hate to break it to you guys, but outside Top 5% and Law Review you are screwed at SH. Get ready for a Traffic Court Clerkship (TCC) followed by a lifetime of soul crushing debt, unemployment, and low-level ambulance chasing.

BTW it's not just me trashing this dump. US News is on to Pat hobbs and his pathetic diploma mill. The school was dinged from 66th to 77th, an 11 point plunge which, BTW, was the steepest drop of ANY school in the #51 to #100 range. By the time you lemmings graduate it may well be 3rd tier. Of course, you're only paying 43 K a year tuition! Even w/ a 50% scholly you'll be paying what I paid back in the day (it was 22 K a year in 2002 when I made the mistake of going there). Good luck HTH

ROTFL!

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Re: Even mid-sized NJ firms shun Seton Hall grads

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Sat May 30, 2009 1:34 pm

sad truth wrote:Just scroll thru the attorney bios for this mid-size NJ firm. This place is a joke and pays about half what a real Biglaw firm pays, and notice how few SH grads are working there even though its 15 miles from the school:

Do the same for McCarter, Cozen, Sill Cummis etc. All the semi-legitimate NJ firms are mostly staffed with Fordham and up grads. Seton Hall can't even place anyone in NEW JERSEY, depsite the fact that NJ only has 3 law schools. Hate to break it to you guys, but outside Top 5% and Law Review you are screwed at SH. Get ready for a Traffic Court Clerkship (TCC) followed by a lifetime of soul crushing debt, unemployment, and low-level ambulance chasing.

BTW it's not just me trashing this dump. US News is on to Pat hobbs and his pathetic diploma mill. The school was dinged from 66th to 77th, an 11 point plunge which, BTW, was the steepest drop of ANY school in the #51 to #100 range. By the time you lemmings graduate it may well be 3rd tier. Of course, you're only paying 43 K a year tuition! Even w/ a 50% scholly you'll be paying what I paid back in the day (it was 22 K a year in 2002 when I made the mistake of going there). Good luck HTH

ROTFL!

See!? I called it, bitter SH grad! YES!
Last edited by Spaceman_Stiff on Sat May 30, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat May 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Shoot, I guess the hundreds of TLSers that are going to Seton Hall are plain out of luck.

BeastCoastHype

New

Post by BeastCoastHype » Sat May 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Ouch. There's a Harvard College --> Brooklyn Law School associate there.

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Sat May 30, 2009 1:47 pm

BeastCoastHype wrote:Ouch. There's a Harvard College --> Brooklyn Law School associate there.
Isn't necessarily disastrous!

--LinkRemoved--

Of course he is a patent guy, so JD school doesn't matter nearly as much...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Sat May 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Shoot, I guess the hundreds of TLSers that are going to Seton Hall are plain out of luck.
this.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sat May 30, 2009 1:51 pm

In this economy, they'll probably pick up some CLS/NYU grads. :shock:

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sat May 30, 2009 1:51 pm

sad truth wrote:Just scroll thru the attorney bios for this mid-size NJ firm. This place is a joke and pays about half what a real Biglaw firm pays, and notice how few SH grads are working there even though its 15 miles from the school:

ROTFL!
You're rotfl because the school you attended is becoming marginalized? I can think of a number of reactions, but laughter wouldn't be among my choices.

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Sat May 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:

ROTFL!
You're rotfl because the school you attended is becoming marginalized? I can think of a number of reactions, but laughter wouldn't be among my choices.
Would actively trolling a board called TOP Law Schools, and where probably about 1& of the total posters are actually attending Seton Hall be one of those reactions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeastCoastHype

New

Post by BeastCoastHype » Sat May 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Peter0061 wrote:
BeastCoastHype wrote:Ouch. There's a Harvard College --> Brooklyn Law School associate there.

--LinkRemoved--

Sure it's not disastrous, and a lot more people build their own successful practices than this site gives credit for, but it has to sting a little bit at the time. That guy was an undergrad at MIT and got a Masters at NYU, and I bet he felt a little left out as his friends from those schools were probably largely going to T-14s.

Spaceman_Stiff

New

Post by Spaceman_Stiff » Sat May 30, 2009 1:57 pm

BeastCoastHype wrote:
Peter0061 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Sure it's not disastrous, and a lot more people build their own successful practices than this site gives credit for, but it has to sting a little bit at the time. That guy was an undergrad at MIT and got a Masters at NYU, and I bet he felt a little left out as his friends from those schools were probably largely going to T-14s.
I won't disagree with that. That is why I only have stupid and unsuccessful friends, makes me feel better.

am86

New

Post by am86 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:49 pm

OP: I think pretty much everyone here agrees that attending Seton Hall at sticker is not a good idea. But, if your're going to post somethin, at least be somewhat accurate. Your post is completely wrong. Did you even look at where the attorneys at CMK went to school? Most of them went to schools comparable to or worse than Seton Hall. Of the 3 that went to Seton Hall, only one graduated with honors, and he graduated cum laude, not top 5%. The attorneys graduated from:

GW
Fordham
Wake Forest
Cardozo x 2
Brooklyn x 3 (1 graduated cum laude)
Dickinson, cum laude
Rutgers x 5
Seton Hall x 3 (1 graduated cum laude)
University of Richmond, cum laude
St. John’s
Hofstra
New England School of Law
Central Florida
Touro
Pace x 2
Widener

Nearly all of these attorneys went to schools similarly ranked to Seton Hall or fworse, and did not get good grades. Go whine somewhere else.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sat May 30, 2009 3:46 pm

does "traffic court clerk" count as a clerkship in that employment data graph we always see?

that would explain a lot.

hey EDGARDERBY check this out! (not saying ND puts people in traffic court, but you can't just use "we have more clerks").

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sad truth

New

Post by sad truth » Sat May 30, 2009 4:11 pm

does "traffic court clerk" count as a clerkship in that employment data graph we always see?

Seton Hall is famous for placing people in NJTCC (NJ Traffic Court Clerkships). They inflate their employment numbers by 30-40% by dumping a good amount of losers into this sewer. Those TCC's pay a whopping 35 K and most of the judges are nasty, ignorant trolls who clawed & sucked their way up thru the corrupt NJ Democrat political machinery. My one friend said her judge never even learned her name all year- he called her "toots" and used to get loaded in his office and smoke cigarettes in there. Another buddy did a TCC and was unemployed for 16 months after it ended. He's now working in his dad's restaurant as a bartender. It's a complete lie that these judges can somehow "hook it up" with a decent gig once your TCC is done. News flash: these judges are total scum and could give a crap less if you live or die, much less waste their golf and hooker time trying to score a gig for some Seton Hall loser. The beauty of it is that Seton Hall gets to wash their hands of these grads and stick the traffic court judge with trying to find work for these losers.

Only a tiny fraction of top 5% gunners get real clerkships (federal and appellate) from SH. Most people I knew who didn't go the TCC route ended up in personal injury or insurance defense making well south of 50 K, or in dead-end temp doc review gigs which have now mostly been outsourced to India. About a dozen kids from my class are already out of law altogether. Most career counselors advise leaving a JD off your resume altogether since employers tend to hate lawyers and view them as nasty, dumb, and hard to get along with. So feature this: you waste 3 years and 100 K and a summer studying for the bar all to get a "credential" that you're told to leave off your resume! It's like a strech in jail or similar embarassment when you have a TTT school like SH as your alma mater!

Any school below Top 14

ThirdTierWarrior

New

Post by ThirdTierWarrior » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:59 pm

The SETON HALL LAW TOILET is training the next generation of toilet cleaners and traffic court clerks. Do not go there unless your other options are 1) prison or 2) death. Actually. You may want to consider those other two options first.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:03 pm

I take it this is your new handle scott? Or should we keep it formal and stick with Skadden_Farts? or L4L?

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:08 am

reasonable_man wrote:I take it this is your new handle scott? Or should we keep it formal and stick with Skadden_Farts? or L4L?
Thanks for pointing this out. I always wonder if there are a ton of people who hate Seton Hall, or if it's only a few extremely vocal people who troll. Considering these arguments are pretty much copy/pasted of ones I've seen elsewhere, I have to go with the latter.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:14 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”