From Rejected to Accepted (same year) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)

Rejected at top-10 this year, June-2009 LSAT ten points better (169)

Dude, you should totally appeal
13%
It's iffy, but you should try
25%
Little or no chance, too many good applicants already waitlisted
63%

Total votes: 24

Z'Barron

New

From Rejected to Accepted (same year)

Post by Z'Barron » Sun May 24, 2009 5:11 am

If an applicant got waitlisted (until the first day of classes) by a top-10 school last year, applied to the same school this year and got rejected outright, then raised his/her LSAT score by 10 points (from 159 to 169) in June-2009, what do you think would be his/her chances of successfully appealing the decision in the summer (no other changes)?

Does the applicant have a shot at a reversal?

vamedic03

Gold

Re: From Rejected to Accepted (same year)

Post by vamedic03 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:55 am

Last edited by vamedic03 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 8:56 am

I would doubt it. Get a 179, and maybe.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 9:10 am

Z'Barron wrote:If an applicant got waitlisted (until the first day of classes) by a top-10 school last year, applied to the same school this year and got rejected outright, then raised his/her LSAT score by 10 points (from 159 to 169) in June-2009, what do you think would be his/her chances of successfully appealing the decision in the summer (no other changes)?

LOL I don't understand how you thought you'd get a decision that was any different by applying again.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:12 am

airlineraddict wrote:
Z'Barron wrote:If an applicant got waitlisted (until the first day of classes) by a top-10 school last year, applied to the same school this year and got rejected outright, then raised his/her LSAT score by 10 points (from 159 to 169) in June-2009, what do you think would be his/her chances of successfully appealing the decision in the summer (no other changes)?

LOL I don't understand how you thought you'd get a decision that was any different by applying again.

Um...actually..if he was waitlisted the first time, it makes perfect sense to apply again. The applicant pool is different, he might have re-written his PS/added a DS/added an addendum. He might have applied earlier, upping his chances. I think it is perfectly reasonable to re-appy to a school, particularly one that waitlisted you (after all, they must have liked him).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 am

Um...actually..if he was waitlisted the first time, it makes perfect sense to apply again.
Not really. If he was waitlisted the first time around, there's no reason to believe his decision would change the second time around, assuming no substantive change in the application.

You seem to be of the view that waitlists are acceptances that law schools could've given if they had space. That's true... to an extent. But the problem is that waitlists still aren't acceptances. Waitlists are often not even based on space issues. I was waitlisted at one school last year, a school at which I had absolutely no chance. They kept a lot of people with my numbers on the waitlist, but everyone know (and LSN showed) that they wouldn't dig nearly enough down the waitlist to get to us. The fact is, if the admissions committee found his application strong enough for an acceptance the second time around, odds are they would have found his application strong enough for an acceptance the first time around.

Change in timing, essays, or recommendations won't do much. Substantive changes: Significant addition of soft factor, GPA change, or new LSAT score.

Source: Anna Ivey's book.

Edit: Allow me to preface my post with "um..." so I hope to sound like a massive bitch, but really come off as an arrogant tool.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:44 am

airlineraddict wrote:
Um...actually..if he was waitlisted the first time, it makes perfect sense to apply again.
Not really. If he was waitlisted the first time around, there's no reason to believe his decision would change the second time around, assuming no substantive change in the application.

You seem to be of the view that waitlists are acceptances that law schools could've given if they had space. That's true... to an extent. But the problem is that waitlists still aren't acceptances. Waitlists are often not even based on space issues. I was waitlisted at one school last year, a school at which I had absolutely no chance. They kept a lot of people with my numbers on the waitlist, but everyone know (and LSN showed) that they wouldn't dig nearly enough down the waitlist to get to us. The fact is, if the admissions committee found his application strong enough for an acceptance the second time around, odds are they would have found his application strong enough for an acceptance the first time around.

Change in timing, essays, or recommendations won't do much. Substantive changes: Significant addition of soft factor, GPA change, or new LSAT score.Source: Anna Ivey's book.

Edit: Allow me to preface my post with "um..." so I hope to sound like a massive bitch, but really come off as an arrogant tool.

And apparently you know OP well enough to know that he didn't have any of the aforementioned "substantive changes."

I guess it's less bitchy to start a post with "LOL".

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:44 am

airlineraddict wrote:

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 9:46 am

And apparently you know OP well enough to know that he didn't have any of the aforementioned "substantive changes."
Considering the LSAT score probably didn't change, odds are nothing else substantive did. Sorry for basing my post on probabilities.

It is probably just as bitchy, but not nearly as arrogantly toolish.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:47 am

So Anna Ivey Jr., what are your recommendations for people who choose to scrap their cycle and re-apply next year? They should apply to all different schools?

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:48 am

airlineraddict wrote:
Considering the LSAT score probably didn't change, odds are nothing else substantive did. Sorry for basing my post on probabilities.

It is probably just as bitchy, but not nearly as arrogantly toolish.

Actually, I wasn't trying to be bitchy, I just say "umm" when I'm thinking quite a bit. Expect the rest of my posts to you to be bitchy and/or toolish though. It will henceforth be intentional.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sun May 24, 2009 9:50 am

h2ho wrote:So Anna Ivey Jr., what are your recommendations for people who choose to scrap their cycle and re-apply next year? They should apply to all different schools?
Clearly the advice would be "significantly improve your application before June."

Come on you guys, there's no need to argue. 10,000 years, peace is now. Apologies, handshakes, friendship, mutual respect?

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 9:51 am

h2ho wrote:So Anna Ivey Jr., what are your recommendations for people who choose to scrap their cycle and re-apply next year? They should apply to all different schools?
Who choose to "scrap their cycle"? What does that even mean? To withdraw one's applications? That one got rejected everywhere?

Yes, if you got rejected everywhere, it probably means you weren't targeting the right schools, given your numbers. Thus, you should apply to different schools.

But, if you, say, raise your GPA significantly or get a higher LSAT score (outside of one standard deviation), you can try applying again. This is assuming that the new numbers would give you a reasonable shot (and to determine this, you use hourmd, LSN, or even just the school's published percentiles).
Actually, I wasn't trying to be bitchy, I just say "umm" when I'm thinking quite a bit. Expect the rest of my posts to you to be bitchy and/or toolish though. It will henceforth be intentional.
You'll have to forgive me if I intended to presume that anyways.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 am

Clearly the advice would be "significantly improve your application before June."
Yeah, I don't understand how this is so hard for h2ho to understand.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 am

Your LOCI should read:
Your LOCI wrote:LOL um... admit me this time?

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:52 am

Cleareyes wrote:

Come on you guys, there's no need to argue. 10,000 years, peace is now. Apologies, handshakes, friendship, mutual respect?

Well all I really meant to say is, I don't think OP re-applying to a school at which he was waitlisted the previous year is "LOL" worthy. It doesn't seem moronic to me in the least, especially since we really don't know whether or not he significantly improved his application from the first time to the second.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 9:54 am

Well all I really meant to say is, I don't think OP re-applying to a school at which he was waitlisted the previous year is "LOL" worthy. It doesn't seem moronic to me in the least, especially since we really don't know whether or not he significantly improved his application from the first time to the second.
I think it's LOL-worthy, since the OP probably didn't substantively improve his application. You'll have to cite the international standards of LOL-worthiness to prove me wrong :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Sun May 24, 2009 9:57 am

h2ho wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:

Okay. Well I would say given the low initial LSAT score if OP decided to withdraw it seems very odd to retake as late as June instead of trying that in, say, September and December (which presumably did not happen or the June retake would have been impossible.) Perhaps it was a frustrated LOL by someone who wants to help but cannot because it has become too late to save the application for this cycle?

I also think that the idea that retaking the June LSAT would move you from the reject pile to acceptance this year is kind of cynical, if not entirely ridiculous. Perhaps it was a LOL against the perceived unfairness of the world we share. A LOL to keep despair at bay.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 9:58 am

airlineraddict wrote:
Who choose to "scrap their cycle"? What does that even mean? To withdraw one's applications? That one got rejected everywhere?

Yes, if you got rejected everywhere, it probably means you weren't targeting the right schools, given your numbers. Thus, you should apply to different schools.

who got rejected everywhere? i "scrapped" a cycle once because I had cancer, was that dumb? I think there are often compelling reasons.

I guess I just don't "LOL" at people right off the bat, until I know a little more of the circumstances.

And obviously my first comment agreed with Cleareyes that it would be essentially impossible for the June LSAT to matter for OP's situation.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 9:59 am

Nah, the LOL was purely an indication that the OP and subsequent posts humored me. Assuming I'm right about there being no substantive change, OP probably wasted 100$ and a year of his life in applying again. I don't know about you, but for me that one year is a colossal waste.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 10:01 am

who got rejected everywhere? i "scrapped" a cycle once because I had cancer, was that dumb? I think there are often compelling reasons.
Are you daft or something? I didn't know what you meant by "scrapped a cycle," so I interpreted it as getting rejected everywhere. If you mean "withdrew your applications," then sure go ahead and apply again. I never denied that there could be compelling reasons for "scrapping a cycle" (under your now apparent interpretation of the phrase).

I guess I just don't "LOL" at people right off the bat, until I know a little more of the circumstances.
Yes, but you will "um..." at them. Interesting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 am

airlineraddict wrote:
Are you daft or something? I didn't know what you meant by "scrapped a cycle," so I interpreted it as getting rejected everywhere. If you mean "withdrew your applications," then sure go ahead and apply again. I never denied that there could be compelling reasons for "scrapping a cycle" (under your now apparent interpretation of the phrase).

I guess it was too much of a jump for you to think that "scrapped a cycle" meant doing exactly what the OP stated he did and what we'd been talking about in this thread so far-- starting over.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 10:03 am

airlineraddict wrote:

Only at you sexy.

airlineraddict

New

Post by airlineraddict » Sun May 24, 2009 10:04 am

I guess it was too much of a jump for you to think that "scrapped a cycle" meant doing exactly what the OP stated he did and what we'd been talking about in this thread so far-- starting over.
If that's the case, then your subsequent post is irrelevant. This one:
If the OP was rejected at THAT school (as in, he DIDN'T withdraw because he had cancer), then he shouldn't apply again unless his application substantively changes.

h2ho

New

Post by h2ho » Sun May 24, 2009 10:10 am

airlineraddict wrote:
If that's the case, then your subsequent post is irrelevant. This one:
If the OP was rejected at THAT school (as in, he DIDN'T withdraw because he had cancer), then he shouldn't apply again unless his application substantively changes.

I started a long explanation, and then I realized I don't care. This is boring. LOL. You're right! OMG. Um.... OK, OP is a moron and should be shot for choosing to use his money in a way that airlineraddict thinks is foolish. Oh well. LOL.

edit: the only reason i thought you were being a douche is because he wasn't asking for your opinion about whether or not he should have re-applied. he had a very specific question about the june lsat and an appeal. you only brought that up to make him feel stupid, which is kind of mean. clearly there's nothing he can do about that at this point.
Last edited by h2ho on Sun May 24, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”