YLS Waitlist Acceptances

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
westbayguy

YLS Waitlist Acceptances

Postby westbayguy » Mon May 18, 2009 1:58 pm

Anyone else surprised by recent acceptances off waitlist? With the rumored expansion of the incoming class to over 210 and the presence of over 230 on the YLS Facebook page, it seems odd that they would have to dip down so soon. Anyone have any thoughts what it means? Is Yale losing the cross admit battle (from LSN reports it doesn;t seem like it). Is it the recession? Are more deferring? Is the loss of prominent profs like Koh and Amar taking its toll? Is the sky falling? Is this the end of the YLS mystique as we know it?

green

Re: YLS Waitlist Acceptances

Postby green » Mon May 18, 2009 2:04 pm

westbayguy wrote:Anyone else surprised by recent acceptances off waitlist? With the rumored expansion of the incoming class to over 210 and the presence of over 230 on the YLS Facebook page, it seems odd that they would have to dip down so soon. Anyone have any thoughts what it means? Is Yale losing the cross admit battle (from LSN reports it doesn;t seem like it). Is it the recession? Are more deferring? Is the loss of prominent profs like Koh and Amar taking its toll? Is the sky falling? Is this the end of the YLS mystique as we know it?

Chill out, man.

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm

I don't think Amar's leaving.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon May 18, 2009 6:21 pm

They are probably just trying to rise in the Cooley rankings, since, according to 'Judging the Law Schools'

"The total enrollment of a law school reflects its success in attracting students, its appeal to those interested in legal education, and its ability to carry out its institutional mission. While size alone does not assure quality, it does permit a school to offer its students a greater variety of courses, programs, and activities. All other things being equal, a good big school is better than a good small school."

Yale is just probably heeding this sage advice and will have a 1L class of 4,034 next year.

mallard

Postby mallard » Mon May 18, 2009 6:23 pm

I do think Yale will start to do worse in cross-admit battles now that Harvard and Stanford are on HPLF systems.

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:34 pm

You're forgetting how strong YLS is in space and robot law. After the robot revolution (or "robolution," as scholars refer to it) this will be the only law left. Also, we have the highest percentage of graduates that go on to clerk for TV judges (evidenced by the fact that both rabbit and I will be doing so).

So yeah, we're not worried about the cross-admit "battle."

airlineraddict

Postby airlineraddict » Mon May 18, 2009 6:36 pm

alexb240 wrote:You're forgetting how strong YLS is in space and robot law. After the robot revolution (or "robolution," as scholars refer to it) this will be the only law left. Also, we have the highest percentage of graduates that go on to clerk for TV judges (evidenced by the fact that both rabbit and I will be doing so).

So yeah, we're not worried about the cross-admit "battle."

LOL goddamn alex, I've missed you <3 emmy

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Mon May 18, 2009 6:39 pm

;-)

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon May 18, 2009 8:16 pm

animalcrkrs wrote:They are probably just trying to rise in the Cooley rankings, since, according to 'Judging the Law Schools'

"The total enrollment of a law school reflects its success in attracting students, its appeal to those interested in legal education, and its ability to carry out its institutional mission. While size alone does not assure quality, it does permit a school to offer its students a greater variety of courses, programs, and activities. All other things being equal, a good big school is better than a good small school."

Yale is just probably heeding this sage advice and will have a 1L class of 4,034 next year.

LOL I needed a pick-me-up today--thanks for that. :)

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 pm

It certainly feels like 4,000 with all the undergrads in the dining hall most days. And don't give me that baloney about they help subsidize the cost of attendance -- that's all liberal media spin.

kalessebo

Postby kalessebo » Tue May 19, 2009 4:56 am

alexb240 wrote:I don't think Amar's leaving.

Yeah, he's teaching intro and advanced con law and the undergrad course he has always given. Doesn't seem like that = leaving.

At the ASW, someone had it on good authority from someone who had it on good authority that he was leaving, so I'm not surprised that rumor picked up steam.

franfair

Postby franfair » Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 am

[.
Last edited by franfair on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexb240

Postby alexb240 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:43 am

He's not going anywhere. Although I do grant his point about New Haven weather.

More generally, I wouldn't be surprised if YLS goes on a mini-hiring spree (by their standards) in the next year. We're low on tax and crim profs (but not on constitutional theorists).

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”