Friendly advice for future 1Ls from a longtime TLSer Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
ari20dal7

Bronze

Friendly advice for future 1Ls from a longtime TLSer

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:31 pm

I haven't posted here in forever, but I just finished my last 1L final yesterday and thought I owed the community a little bit of advice for the help I got. I think I'll just say a little bit and follow it up with a few bullet points.

Law school is not difficult in substance. I went to UCLA, which is an OK school and is pretty well regarded. If you're going to upper T14, maybe it will be harder for you. It was not hard for me. The reason it was not hard is that law school is a process. It rewards a very narrow skill set and provides no incentive to learn much at all. To do well in 1L classes (legal writing aside), you need to know how to do three things: briefly summarize a rule, type fast, and make arguments on the fly. That's it. You also need to figure out what your prof's G-spot is so that you can work it into your argument somehow. Knowing detailed fact patterns is useless. Memorizing details for fear of Socratic embarrassment is useless. Trying to put together a comprehensive two hundred page outline is useless. If you cannot fit all the law you need to know in a particular area (for example, acceptance in contracts) into two pages, this is probably because you do not understand the law in that area.

I did not learn all of this the hard way. I am lazy and do not like law school. I think the people are fine, but it's not my set at all. Therefore, I spent as little time at the law school as possible, probably studying about an hour a day five days a week on average. I went to about half of my classes. I got great grades (so far) and have no reason to expect that will not continue. Why do I tell you this? I tell you this because for most of us, whatever's going on at law school has very little to do with what we want to get out of it. How many of you are seriously interested in the philosophical implications of easements? How many of you really care about the difference between strict liability tort regimes and negligence-based regimes? Almost none of you, and if you don't know what those words mean, thanks for proving the point. Most of us care about getting good grades and good (read: well paying) jobs. Some of us have an interest that we hope to explore in law school, an interest that will consume fifteen percent of our time in class at best. A few of us actually want to help people. But Socratic methods and pointless briefing serves none of those objectives. Read the essay on "How to Succeed in Law School" on this site and, if you're not going to a really, really good school, cut out the bit about the hornbooks. Do not fall into the trap. If you're at something other than T6 and you're working ten hours a day, you're working four times too much.

Now, I should of course qualify this: your mileage may vary. You may read a little more slowly and need some more time. You may really care about the law, in which case feel free to knock yourself out. But I've seen nothing in a full year at what purports to be a good school that would indicate that the standard experience should vary all that much. If you do what's in that essay or even a scaled back version of it, you will win the dumbest game in graduate school. I should caution you: if you absolutely must finish #1 in the class, then do what's in that essay AND go crazy with the briefing. Just realize that the first 5% of your work will (presuming you know how to work) get you the first 90% of your results.

A few other random tips:

1) Watch out for the time suck. Law school will provide you with a deluge of stupidity designed to get you to spend every waking moment there. I found one thing I liked doing and did only that thing. Do not trick yourself into thinking "well, maybe I'll be interested in the drafting of contracts in widget law". If you want to do extracurricular thinking (as I do), whatever law school you consider will have a first rate university library. Use it. Read good books.

2) Avoid the temptation to talk about your own results. I guess there are a few people around TLS who know who I am, but most of them probably don't read this anymore. I've discussed my performance openly with only a couple of people here at the law school and only after I knew for sure that they were pretty straight up people who see the world in much the same way as I do. I think nothing is more pathetic than people who barely know you fishing for grades. Whether you got great grades or bad grades, act like you've been there before. You'll be less stressed.

3) Realize that, like it or not, the stupidity of your classmates serves your goals and the intelligence of your classmates is at best neutral. Don't go out of your way to work with everyone and form study groups. If you want to, then do it, I guess. But think about it this way: if you basically do the same thing as everyone else, you'll get basically the same results. In an awful economy, are you interested in putting your grades on the roulette wheel? Are you interested in hoping that the prof likes your IRAC better than the one that's exactly identical from the girl across the aisle? I wouldn't be. Learn how to summarize and type fast.

4) There are really a lot of things to like about law school. If you do it right, you'll have lots of time to pursue your own interests and people will assume you're busy. Great combination, if you ask me. I've met some really nice people and I haven't met a single person I dislike (very much). Don't waste what will probably be your last chance to read good books and watch more basketball than any reasonable person could stomach.

5) If you spend a lot of time, spend it on your memos. These are the thing where more time really does improve results. If your legal writing class is pass/fail, then who cares?

One last thing: I just read this and it sounds pretty arrogant and mean. That's not the intent. The intent is just to try and help many of you to see what I saw: the law school experience does nothing for you other than give you the ability to take a BarBri class and a set of credentials.

Also, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer.

frotteur

New

Re: Friendly advice for future 1Ls from a longtime TLSer

Post by frotteur » Tue May 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Interesting read.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 2:39 pm

The intent is just to try and help many of you to see what I saw: the law school experience does nothing for you other than give you the ability to take a BarBri class and a set of credentials.
Law school is just a sorting mechanism for legal employers, nothing more nothing less.

Oh, and people say I'm bitter and jaded. :mrgreen:

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks Ari.

billykelly76

New

Post by billykelly76 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:41 pm

yo tambien

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badlydrawn

Bronze

Post by badlydrawn » Tue May 12, 2009 2:42 pm

I need to improve my typing speed.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Interesting, but depressing...

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Thanks!

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Law school is just a sorting mechanism for legal employers, nothing more nothing less.

Oh, and people say I'm bitter and jaded.
And it isn't a useless mechanism. Some people say that grades are just totally random. That, of course, is crap. If most people are doing the same things, then the smarter ones will tend to get the better grades, all things being equal. I am no smarter than my colleagues, but I have figured out a more effective way to work the system than most of them. So I'll look better on paper than some people who really are pretty much exactly the same person.

Badlydrawn - You absolutely do. Take three articles from the Financial Times every day and type them out. My answers were consistently 30%-40% longer than the models and that flat out matters on an issue spotting exam. It's not the only thing, but more words=more arguments=more points=better grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

I loved the typing speed comment. I'd say I'm in the top 5% in terms of typing skill! :lol:

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

thanks
i wish there was more of this on TLS

casper13

New

Post by casper13 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

But Sarah goes to your school is she is totally awesome so I assume you must know her cause she is awesome and you said you know cool people there.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:48 pm

She is very sweet and more than a little cute ;)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

uphill

New

Post by uphill » Tue May 12, 2009 2:49 pm

This is cool . Thanks for writing

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue May 12, 2009 2:49 pm

ari20dal7 wrote:

Oh, and people say I'm bitter and jaded.
And it isn't a useless mechanism. Some people say that grades are just totally random. That, of course, is crap. If most people are doing the same things, then the smarter ones will tend to get the better grades, all things being equal. I am no smarter than my colleagues, but I have figured out a more effective way to work the system than most of them. So I'll look better on paper than some people who really are pretty much exactly the same person.

Badlydrawn - You absolutely do. Take three articles from the Financial Times every day and type them out. My answers were consistently 30%-40% longer than the models and that flat out matters on an issue spotting exam. It's not the only thing, but more words=more arguments=more points=better grades.
Can you give a rough WPM metric as to where you are? I have found in my own experience that I can type somewhat faster than I can 'write' but I'm already at ~100 WPM. I'm curious as to whether it's worth working on my typing speed just to be able to bulk out my exams.

Many thanks.

mr.smurf

New

Post by mr.smurf » Tue May 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Thanks.

hgurke

New

Post by hgurke » Tue May 12, 2009 2:51 pm

ha ha i love blatant candor.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 pm

This was actually very soothing on my tense, soon-to-be-law-student ears.

And this was great:
ari20dal7 wrote:figure out what your prof's G-spot is

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Tue May 12, 2009 2:53 pm

OP - Thanks for posting this! I'm currently a 0L and have been lurking around for awhile for feedback on TLS' "Success in Law School" method. What you're provided above is greatly appreciated! Congrats on finishing up 1L and good luck going forward!

casper13

New

Post by casper13 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 pm

ari20dal7 wrote:She is very sweet and more than a little cute ;)

Of course, she is from San Diego, duh.

Good write up by the way, I was hoping someone confimred that it isnt as serious as most make it to be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm at ~80 WPM. Is that fast?

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Ari, I was wondering did you go into law school thinking you would use the method you mentioned, or did you read it after the fact and it happened to be similar to the method you employed?

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Can you give a rough WPM metric as to where you are? I have found in my own experience that I can type somewhat faster than I can 'write' but I'm already at ~100 WPM. I'm curious as to whether it's worth working on my typing speed just to be able to bulk out my exams.

Many thanks.
My best estimate would be my con law exam. It was three hours long. I averaged 55 WPM, assuming I typed all three hours. I left fifteen minutes early and took two ten minute Coke/bathroom breaks. I also spent the first half hour composing a very detailed outline of my exam. So I guess that comes out to around, what, 80 WPM? It sounds like you might actually be faster than I am, but a little more practice would never hurt. This is probably not going to be a problem for you, though.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Getting lunch - will be back later ;)

Keep asking away - I promise I'll answer!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”