Friendly advice for future 1Ls from a longtime TLSer Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Bankhead

Silver

Re: Friendly advice for future 1Ls from a longtime TLSer

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 12, 2009 2:57 pm

I would imagine the people who hand write exams would be at a huge disadvantage. I've never heard of anyone doing this and coming out better than median.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks, good read!

ruraljuror

New

Post by ruraljuror » Tue May 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Has anyone taken a typing class? Do people just use online classes, or programs? I think I need to work on my typing, but I don't know what to buy.

casper13

New

Post by casper13 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:02 pm

ruraljuror wrote:Has anyone taken a typing class? Do people just use online classes, or programs? I think I need to work on my typing, but I don't know what to buy.

I heard typing tutor was good, Mavis Beacon I believe

lawfool

New

Post by lawfool » Tue May 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Source: wikipedia for what it is worth.
In one study of average computer users, the average rate for transcription was 33 words per minute, and only 19 words per minute for composition.[1] In the same study, when the group was divided into "fast", "moderate" and "slow" groups, the average speeds were 40 wpm, 35 wpm, and 23 wpm respectively. Two-finger typists, sometimes also referred to as "hunt and peck" typists, can reach speeds of about 37 wpm for memorized text, and 27 wpm when copying text.[2]

An average professional typist reaches 50 to 70 wpm, while some positions can require 80 to 95 (usually the minimum required for dispatch positions and other typing jobs), and some advanced typists work at speeds above 120.

I would say a typing speed of 70+ wpm will be fine. The average law school student probably types a bit faster than average if I had to guess so I would guess the average speed is around 55 wpm for law school students.

Also see: http://www.xpertkeyboard.com/ostrach.htm
Last edited by lawfool on Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Tue May 12, 2009 3:04 pm

ruraljuror wrote:Has anyone taken a typing class? Do people just use online classes, or programs? I think I need to work on my typing, but I don't know what to buy.
I worked as a transcriber for awhile. Trying to keep up with human voices (which generally clock in at 150-190 wpm) will train your speed up pretty quickly. Of course before you do that you should know the basic rules of touch typing, but you can learn those for free on the web and practice some text copying via free online programs.

JoshHK

New

Post by JoshHK » Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 pm

thank you, ari. appreciate the advice.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Leave it to TLS to make me feel bad about my (very proficient) 70 WPM... :roll:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 pm

I type around 60 WPM. I think I'm actually faster at longhand, since I've kept a journal for eleven years. I wouldn't wish my handwriting on professors, though. It tends to look straight out of the 19th century. I do have a flair for calligraphy, though. Would that help?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 12, 2009 3:07 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I type around 60 WPM. I think I'm actually faster at longhand, since I've kept a journal for eleven years. I wouldn't wish my handwriting on professors, though. It tends to look straight out of the 19th century. I do have a flair for calligraphy, though. Would that help?
Only in that fashion professor's class. :wink:

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Tue May 12, 2009 3:09 pm

long time-no see ari. looks like you had a good 1L. i didn't do everything exactly the same as you, but i think your system is the way to go.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm

ari20dal7 wrote:My best estimate would be my con law exam. It was three hours long. I averaged 55 WPM, assuming I typed all three hours. I left fifteen minutes early and took two ten minute Coke/bathroom breaks. I also spent the first half hour composing a very detailed outline of my exam. So I guess that comes out to around, what, 80 WPM? It sounds like you might actually be faster than I am, but a little more practice would never hurt. This is probably not going to be a problem for you, though.
wait, you do coke?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue May 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks for the insightful post.

I've got one question out of curiosity that I hope you won't mind answering - did your LSAT/GPA correlate with your performance thus far?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JJim1919

New

Post by JJim1919 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:11 pm

Thanks for the advice. This is awesome. Also, I know you mentioned hornbooks are really only necessary at a T6 or so, and you said briefing is largely a waste of time. What supplements do you use? The E&E's? What pre-made briefs do you use?

Also, the how to essay on this site talks a bit about outlining. Do you start outlining from the very beginning of the semester, and then work on practice tests towards the exam? Or what's your strategy like?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue May 12, 2009 3:12 pm

Wouldn't things actually be easier at a T6 since, by and large, grades don't really matter?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 pm

does anyone have the 'how to succeed in law school' link handy?

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:I type around 60 WPM. I think I'm actually faster at longhand, since I've kept a journal for eleven years. I wouldn't wish my handwriting on professors, though. It tends to look straight out of the 19th century. I do have a flair for calligraphy, though. Would that help?
LOL, I really want to email her. Would that be ridiculously gunnerish? I also just bought six E&Es, so I can do some beach reading. I also need LEEWS, and I have to finish Getting to Maybe, and now apparently I need a speed typing course.

This is going to be one long summer.

:lol: :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

altamira

New

Post by altamira » Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Thanks!!! This is very helpful.

It'd be great if you could flesh out your thoughts on the typical choices we'll face in the coming months:

1) Pre 1L prep: Should we do nothing? Skim/Read E&E etc.?
2) Any advice on taking notes in class? How did you figure out the prof's preferences?
3) When did you start outlining, looking at practice exams? How long were your outlines? Any special techniques you used?
4) You seem to be discouraging study groups...did you go solo? Or were you able to find "above-median" types?
5) How did you structure your exam answers to maximize points?
6) Sounds like you figured out some day-to-day short cuts that allowed you a great deal of free time while still getting great grades. What did your daily/weekly routine look like at the beginning/middle/end of the semester?
7) Did you find the advice of 2Ls and 3Ls useful? Especially as a 1L seems to me I won't know whose advice to trust because it's hard to know who's actually doing well.

Sorry if these questions are obvious/annoying :?

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 pm

jrock12 wrote:does anyone have the 'how to succeed in law school' link handy?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 3:17 pm

I'd be amazed to watch someone hand-write faster than 60 WPM FOR ALMOST THREE HOURS with only 2 ten-minute breaks!!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:17 pm

jrock12 wrote:does anyone have the 'how to succeed in law school' link handy?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=success+in+law+school

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zeph

Bronze

Post by Zeph » Tue May 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Good stuff

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 3:23 pm

And it isn't a useless mechanism.
Oh I don't disagree. I'm just saying that you perspective is refreshing, for someone like me who doesn't exactly think of LS (or school in general) as a "fascinating intellectual journey".
Last edited by rayiner on Tue May 12, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue May 12, 2009 3:23 pm

CE2JD wrote:
I'd be amazed to watch someone hand-write faster than 60 WPM FOR ALMOST THREE HOURS with only 2 ten-minute breaks!!
I didn't say I could do it for almost three hours. I didn't do that much journaling! I'm going to type.

Who32

New

Post by Who32 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:25 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:
LOL, I really want to email her. Would that be ridiculously gunnerish? I also just bought six E&Es, so I can do some beach reading. I also need LEEWS, and I have to finish Getting to Maybe, and now apparently I need a speed typing course.

This is going to be one long summer.

:lol: :lol:
Holy moly!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”