100% committed to Columbia Law School Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
thrillhouse

100% committed to Columbia Law School Class of 2012

Postby thrillhouse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:42 pm

This is for everyone who is 100% certain they will be part of the CLS class of 2012. So, if you are still riding out the waitlist at Harvard, Stanford, etc. or hoping NYU or Chicago will match your CLS scholarship, please wait to post here until you've 100% committed to CLS and withdrawn all other applications.

If you fall in one of the categories mentioned above, we definitely want to hear from you--just not in this thread. There is a "Columbia class of 2012" thread were you can post along with us.

Anyone in the NJ/NY/Philly area want to have any TLS meetups before school starts?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Re: 100% committed to Columbia Law School Class of 2012

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:57 pm

Great thread idea! I paid my deposit a couple weeks ago, and I'm looking forward to meeting you guys in August!

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm currently in the Philly area, and would love a meet up!

I'm also in the CLS 2012 Facebook group - first name is Laura, and my avatar is the same on TLS as is my FB picture, so I shouldn't be difficult to find (friend me!).

A little bit about me: I graduated from Cornell in 2007 with a degree in English, was a columnist for the school paper (wrote mainly about getting drunk and throwing parties and how I wanted to be a DJ) and volunteered at a maximum security prison upstate. After graduation I moved to NYC to paralegal at a law firm for 2 years, and I just moved back home to take some time off before CLS.

Yay!

Postby 06132010 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:31 pm

thrillhouse wrote:This is for everyone who is 100% certain they will be part of the CLS class of 2012. So, if you are still riding out the waitlist at Harvard, Stanford, etc. or hoping NYU or Chicago will match your CLS scholarship, please wait to post here until you've 100% committed to CLS and withdrawn all other applications.

If you fall in one of the categories mentioned above, we definitely want to hear from you--just not in this thread. There is a "Columbia class of 2012" thread were you can post along with us.

Anyone in the NJ/NY/Philly area want to have any TLS meetups before school starts?

Let's do it. I'm near NYC.

Postby 06132010 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Lem37 wrote:I'm currently in the Philly area, and would love a meet up!

I'm also in the CLS 2012 Facebook group - first name is Laura, and my avatar is the same on TLS as is my FB picture, so I shouldn't be difficult to find (friend me!).

A little bit about me: I graduated from Cornell in 2007 with a degree in English, was a columnist for the school paper (wrote mainly about getting drunk and throwing parties and how I wanted to be a DJ) and volunteered at a maximum security prison upstate. After graduation I moved to NYC to paralegal at a law firm for 2 years, and I just moved back home to take some time off before CLS.

Yay!

I just friended you, don't be creeped out.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:33 pm

booyakasha45 wrote:

Yay!

Hahaha. Consider me OMG TOTALLY CREEPED OUT!

No, seriously though, yay!

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 pm

Lem37 wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:

Yay!

Hahaha. Consider me OMG TOTALLY CREEPED OUT!

No, seriously though, yay!

I friended you, too! I put a message telling you I am Thrillhouse from TLS so you didn't think it just some random dude.
Last edited by thrillhouse on Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 pm

I'm in the metro area too (Jersey) and definitely down for a meet up at some point.

Now if I can only get myself motivated enough to get my work done and actually graduate... any other current students running into some serious motivational issues?

Cartwright4

Postby Cartwright4 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Sending in my deposit tonight. I go to NYU right now and I would love to meet up for a drink any time after next week. It would be really nice to meet you guys!

mp2012

Postby mp2012 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:47 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:I'm in the metro area too (Jersey) and definitely down for a meet up at some point.

Now if I can only get myself motivated enough to get my work done and actually graduate... any other current students running into some serious motivational issues?

YES! I just sent my thesis to be bound, yay! A couple more assignments and an exam and I'll be done. I'll have more than 14 days till graduation to do nothing but forget everything I've learned in the past 4 years (with some alcohol on a San Diego beach)! :)

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:10 pm

OK, it looks like many of us NY/NJ/Philly CLSers are up for some meetups! I'll start to organize something more definite in the near future and after people are finished with finals/theses/last minute undergrad crap.

For now, let me suggest we attend the All Points West Music Festival in Jersey City. The lineups are as follows:

FRIDAY, JULY 31st

* Beastie Boys Beastie Boys
* Yeah Yeah Yeahs Yeah Yeah Yeahs
* Vampire Weekend Vampire Weekend

the National/Fleet Foxes/MSTRKRFT/Q-Tip/the Pharcyde/Organized Konfusion the Knux/Ra Ra Riot/Seasick Steve/Telepathe/Shearwater/Heartless Bastards Flying Lotus/CollegeHumor Live/Arj Barker/Eugene Mirman/Bo Burnham

SATURDAY, AUGUST 1st

* Tool Tool
* My Bloody Valentine My Bloody Valentine
* Gogol Bordello Gogol Bordello

Arctic Monkeys/Neko Case/the Ting Tings/Crystal Castles/St. Vincent Tokyo Police Club/the Cool Kids/Kool Keith/Cage the Elephant/Chairlift/White Rabbits/Electric Touch the Postelles/Black Gold/CollegeHumor Live/Tim & Eric/Judah Friedlander/Jim Jeffries

SUNDAY, AUGUST 2nd

* Coldplay Coldplay
* Echo & The Bunnymen Echo & The Bunnymen
* MGMT MGMT

the Black Keys/Elbow/Silversun Pickups/Mogwai/We Are Scientists Ghostland Observatory/the Gaslight Anthem/Etienne De Crecy/Lykke Li Akron/Family/Steel Train/Kitty, Daisy & Lewis/CollegeHumor Live/Janeane Garofalo/Michael Showalter/Todd Barry

I know from an earlier post that Lem appreciates live music. How about the rest of you?

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:49 pm

All Points West could be sweet. I went last year, and had a sick time. I don't like this year's lineup quite as much... although there are a bunch of good acts, like The Black Keys and Bo Burnham. One random note: it's a fun festival, but it definitely had a very commercial feel last year. Don't expect a totally organic, laid-back, Bonnaroo-style festival.

Thrillhouse, did you go last year? If so, what day(s), and what did you think?

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:59 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
Thrillhouse, did you go last year? If so, what day(s), and what did you think?

I didn't because I was out of town visiting family. A couple of the guys in my band live within walking distance, so parking, drinking. etc. Ought to be easy for us.

I like a couple of the lineups this year. Friday looks great. The YYYs put on a great show as do the Pharcyde. And, then Saturday--Neko Case and Kool Keith on the same stage. That is amazing!

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:20 pm

thrillhouse wrote:OK, it looks like many of us NY/NJ/Philly CLSers are up for some meetups! I'll start to organize something more definite in the near future and after people are finished with finals/theses/last minute undergrad crap.

For now, let me suggest we attend the All Points West Music Festival in Jersey City. The lineups are as follows:

FRIDAY, JULY 31st

* Beastie Boys Beastie Boys
* Yeah Yeah Yeahs Yeah Yeah Yeahs
* Vampire Weekend Vampire Weekend

the National/Fleet Foxes/MSTRKRFT/Q-Tip/the Pharcyde/Organized Konfusion the Knux/Ra Ra Riot/Seasick Steve/Telepathe/Shearwater/Heartless Bastards Flying Lotus/CollegeHumor Live/Arj Barker/Eugene Mirman/Bo Burnham

SATURDAY, AUGUST 1st

* Tool Tool
* My Bloody Valentine My Bloody Valentine
* Gogol Bordello Gogol Bordello

Arctic Monkeys/Neko Case/the Ting Tings/Crystal Castles/St. Vincent Tokyo Police Club/the Cool Kids/Kool Keith/Cage the Elephant/Chairlift/White Rabbits/Electric Touch the Postelles/Black Gold/CollegeHumor Live/Tim & Eric/Judah Friedlander/Jim Jeffries

SUNDAY, AUGUST 2nd

* Coldplay Coldplay
* Echo & The Bunnymen Echo & The Bunnymen
* MGMT MGMT

the Black Keys/Elbow/Silversun Pickups/Mogwai/We Are Scientists Ghostland Observatory/the Gaslight Anthem/Etienne De Crecy/Lykke Li Akron/Family/Steel Train/Kitty, Daisy & Lewis/CollegeHumor Live/Janeane Garofalo/Michael Showalter/Todd Barry

I know from an earlier post that Lem appreciates live music. How about the rest of you?

I would be interested in either Friday or Sunday. Listening to Vampire Weekend totally gets me excited for Columbia, too! (For those of you who don't know, they went to/formed at Columbia). Love Beastie Boys and Pharcyde and Fleet Foxes. I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Penn's Landing a few years ago and wasn't thrilled. Sunday - dig MGMT and Echo & the Bunnymen, but think Friday would be more interesting.

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:35 am

Lem37 wrote:
I would be interested in either Friday or Sunday. Listening to Vampire Weekend totally gets me excited for Columbia, too! (For those of you who don't know, they went to/formed at Columbia). Love Beastie Boys and Pharcyde and Fleet Foxes. I saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Penn's Landing a few years ago and wasn't thrilled. Sunday - dig MGMT and Echo & the Bunnymen, but think Friday would be more interesting.

I will definitely go on Saturday (in addition to Friday) because I never pass up a chance to see Neko Case. That said, if I were to only go one day I'd pick Friday. There are 7 or 8 really strong acts that day.

Lem, you have to give the YYYs another shot. I've seen them 4 or 5 times and they've never disappointed. Karen O is really the only frontman going in music right now who still puts on a show.

saveferris2785

Postby saveferris2785 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:52 pm

Posted this in the Class of 2012 thread, but I'm so excited to be joining you guys in the fall!
Just became 100% committed today and it feels great.

I went to All Points West last year and it was awesome...I think I'm going to come up this year too (I'm from Nashville), because I think Sunday especially is stacked.

Skadden Stairs

Postby Skadden Stairs » Sun May 03, 2009 7:10 am

Hmm... maybes I should adjust my move-in date to make it on Fri/Saturday...

bermuda

Postby bermuda » Sun May 03, 2009 10:19 am

Last edited by bermuda on Tue May 26, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Sun May 03, 2009 8:33 pm

lex talionis wrote:Hmm... maybes I should adjust my move-in date to make it on Fri/Saturday...

Do it! We'll have so much fun!

saveferris2785

Postby saveferris2785 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Does anyone know if you have to pay for the extra time for moving in early? Meaning, if I move in around Aug 1 instead of Aug 14, would I have to pay the extra two weeks rent?

Thanks

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:28 pm

saveferris2785 wrote:Does anyone know if you have to pay for the extra time for moving in early? Meaning, if I move in around Aug 1 instead of Aug 14, would I have to pay the extra two weeks rent?

Thanks

Traditionally, rent is billed on the first of the month. I was under the impression that we'd be billed for the entire month of August, regardless of when we move in. However, even if that weren't the case, you'd definitely be billed for those two weeks - no such thing as free rent, and August 1st isn't considered early (it's basically the median move-in date they list).

EDIT: But, you should call, or post this in the Columbia 1L taking Q's forum.

saveferris2785

Postby saveferris2785 » Mon May 04, 2009 2:37 pm

Gracias

planning on calling housing today, have some other question for those peeps, but figured i'd see if any TLSers could drop some knowledge...

thrillhouse

Postby thrillhouse » Wed May 06, 2009 9:33 pm

When are loan apps due? I haven't even heard back from fin aid, yet. They finally agreed to waive financial info for one of my parents. They wouldn't even evaluate me until they did that. So, they didn't even start evaluating me until today.

Postby 06132010 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:02 pm

thrillhouse wrote:When are loan apps due? I haven't even heard back from fin aid, yet. They finally agreed to waive financial info for one of my parents. They wouldn't even evaluate me until they did that. So, they didn't even start evaluating me until today.

May 15th

deneuve39

Postby deneuve39 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:01 am

Lem37 wrote:
saveferris2785 wrote:Does anyone know if you have to pay for the extra time for moving in early? Meaning, if I move in around Aug 1 instead of Aug 14, would I have to pay the extra two weeks rent?

Thanks

Traditionally, rent is billed on the first of the month. I was under the impression that we'd be billed for the entire month of August, regardless of when we move in. However, even if that weren't the case, you'd definitely be billed for those two weeks - no such thing as free rent, and August 1st isn't considered early (it's basically the median move-in date they list).

EDIT: But, you should call, or post this in the Columbia 1L taking Q's forum.

Yeah I remember something about rent being pro-rated based on when you move in on the housing application, so I think if you didn't move in til Aug. 14th you wouldn't be billed for a full month's worth of rent. Also they have two different lease types: contract and month-to-month. I think most of the UAH apartments are leases, and then the rent is due on the 10th of each month.
--LinkRemoved--

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”