Utah '12

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
darain

Utah '12

Postby darain » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:07 am

I am starting this thread with the vain hope that someone else on this board is going to Quinney next year. *sigh*

Sparky

Re: Utah '12

Postby Sparky » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:14 am

darain wrote:I am starting this thread with the vain hope that someone else on this board is going to Quinney next year. *sigh*

Your hope is not vain.

scylax

Postby scylax » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:56 pm

I am too.

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Congrats. Are you all local, or are you coming from outside?

shillim

Postby shillim » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:33 pm

See you in August!

shillim

Postby shillim » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:37 pm

wardboro wrote:Congrats. Are you all local, or are you coming from outside?

Leaving the beaches of Santa Monica......

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:49 pm

shillim wrote:

It's warmer than Chicago, anyway. The Great Salt Lake has a beach, but it smells like death.

PM me if you have any questions. I'm a 1L who should be outlining.

shillim

Postby shillim » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:12 pm

wardboro wrote:
shillim wrote:

It's warmer than Chicago, anyway. The Great Salt Lake has a beach, but it smells like death.

I dunno if I could've hacked the Chicago winters. Call me a wuss...and I'll tell you, "yes, yes I am." I am going to truely miss riding my bike along the venice boardwalk in the dead of winter (while the rest of the country is in a deep freeze) in shorts and flip-flops, watching the weirdos doing their thing.

How are the hills for motorcycles?

Good luck with your 1L finals!

darain

Postby darain » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Sort of. I'm from Idaho but I'm currently living in Provo. I need to get my driver's license/voter registration taken care of this week.

I'm excited at the prospect of living in a city with a building that exceeds 20 stories.

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 pm

shillim wrote:
wardboro wrote:
shillim wrote:

I dunno if I could've hacked the Chicago winters. Call me a wuss...and I'll tell you, "yes, yes I am." I am going to truely miss riding my bike along the venice boardwalk in the dead of winter (while the rest of the country is in a deep freeze) in shorts and flip-flops, watching the weirdos doing their thing.

How are the hills for motorcycles?

Good luck with your 1L finals!

I have a 2-stroke 50cc that I ride to school daily. The school is on the bench, so if you have to ride up from downtown level to the law school, a bike that small will be sweating pretty good. That said, most housing that people live in near the University is already on the bench, and so I don't have to go up the great big hill regularly. I think if you had anything 125 and up you'd be able to keep up with traffic climbing the hill.

darain wrote:

Sort of. I'm from Idaho but I'm currently living in Provo. I need to get my driver's license/voter registration taken care of this week.

I'm excited at the prospect of living in a city with a building that exceeds 20 stories.

There's a lot of BYU and a few UVU students here. Salt Lake's a cool place. I really enjoyed my Provo years, but I definitely like SLC better than Provo.

UC2006

Postby UC2006 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:05 am

Off to Utah as well. Coming from New York City and bringing an '03 Triumph Bonneville. I am very excited to see what the west has to offer, as I have wanted to move out of NYC for a long time. Any hints on housing? Just use craigslist or is there another method that I should know about?

shillim

Postby shillim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:42 am

UC2006 wrote:Off to Utah as well. Coming from New York City and bringing an '03 Triumph Bonneville. I am very excited to see what the west has to offer, as I have wanted to move out of NYC for a long time. Any hints on housing? Just use craigslist or is there another method that I should know about?

We should do a rideout, I have a 98 Honda Superhawk.

I'm trying to rent a room in the shoreline apartments at least for the first semester. Should get a pretty good lay of the land after that to find roomates and find the best housing situation.

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 am

Craigslist isn't bad, but in Salt Lake a lot of people also use this free classified ad service. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=13

UC2006

Postby UC2006 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks for the apartment info. Not sure where I am going to end up living yet. Getting married in June and don't know where the wife's job will be (possibly in Park City). Otherwise we are trying to get as close to campus as possible. Walking is ideal.

Shillim - the riding should be good around SLC. I have only been there twice, but I think there is a ton of stuff.

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Park City is a very doable commute (about 30 minutes) if you'd rather live on the Park City side. Otherwise, there is a lot of nice housing between the University and where you get on I-80 East to go to Park City. Most of the students (and lots of families) live in that neighborhood anyway. If you're not adverse to living in cinder block walls, and you can get in, there is excellent student family housing. A 2-bedroom including ALL utilities is under 700 a month, but I know that there are often waiting lists to get into it. It's within walking distance, and there's also a campus shuttle that takes you straight to the LS if you're feeling lazy. Good luck.

scylax

Postby scylax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:39 am

I had good luck with Express Rentals a few years ago. There is a fee, though: $60 for 45 days.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:46 am

UC2006 wrote:Off to Utah as well. Coming from New York City and bringing an '03 Triumph Bonneville. I am very excited to see what the west has to offer, as I have wanted to move out of NYC for a long time. Any hints on housing? Just use craigslist or is there another method that I should know about?

ksl.com is more popular than craigslist in Utah. They have some apartment listings in their classifieds section.

Good luck!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”