GEEZ... st. john's vs. rutgers. vs. temple after new ranking Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jrod

New

GEEZ... st. john's vs. rutgers. vs. temple after new ranking

Post by jrod » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Geez. So temple is down to 65. Temple now seems less ideal. But more importantly rutgers newark was ten slots above sju. Now they are equal at 88. with this lack of difference I don't see how I can still justify Rutgers Newark over SJU, a school in NYC, although pretty far in Queens (I do want to work in NYC, yes). And if I don't live in stinky NJ, Rutgers is MORE expensive then SJU, which was kind enough to give me a $75K scholarship. Thank GOD I ended up sending in the deposit there last Wednesday. Geez.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Re: GEEZ... st. john's vs. rutgers. vs. temple after new ranking

Post by PhantaManta » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 pm

You can usually get instate at Rutgers, and have a small scholarship for the same numbers you get 75k from St. Johns. SJ is >60k for cost of attendance. Rutgers, I believe, is like 22k in state, maybe arbound 44k per year COA, 16 elss than SJ. If you got 2k per year scholarship, thats 42k per year. Total = 126k, total for SJ after 75k off is still 105k.

I think there is a pretty good argument to be made that Rutgers is still the choice, but you'd need in-state tuition. According to another thread, if you sign the 12 month on campus lease at R-N they will give you in-state, but I can't verify.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:12 pm

PhantaManta wrote:You can usually get instate at Rutgers, and have a small scholarship for the same numbers you get 75k from St. Johns. SJ is >60k for cost of attendance. Rutgers, I believe, is like 22k in state, maybe arbound 44k per year COA, 16 elss than SJ. If you got 2k per year scholarship, thats 42k per year. Total = 126k, total for SJ after 75k off is still 105k.

I think there is a pretty good argument to be made that Rutgers is still the choice, but you'd need in-state tuition. According to another thread, if you sign the 12 month on campus lease at R-N they will give you in-state, but I can't verify.
Dean Walton emphasizes this at admit days. All you need to do is show proof of a signed 12 month lease, and you obtain residency status for law school purposes.

jrod

New

Post by jrod » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:17 pm

All true. No one is addressing that Rut N dropped ten slots. though. What if they drop another ten? Also with SJU you don't have to live in NJ (just my preference I know).

In addition, even though Dean Walton expressed confidence that job-finding is m ore fruitful for RN grads than for SJU, I feel like this is hard to believe as SJU is in Queens and NYC just feels more flush with SJU grads, whereas RN is spread out across tri-state area.

Rutgers, if you live in NJ, is, of course, cheaper.

Random hijack of own thread: I was just put on reserve at Cornell!

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:19 pm

jrod wrote:Geez. So temple is down to 65. Temple now seems less ideal. But more importantly rutgers newark was ten slots above sju. Now they are equal at 88. with this lack of difference I don't see how I can still justify Rutgers Newark over SJU, a school in NYC, although pretty far in Queens (I do want to work in NYC, yes). And if I don't live in stinky NJ, Rutgers is MORE expensive then SJU, which was kind enough to give me a $75K scholarship. Thank GOD I ended up sending in the deposit there last Wednesday. Geez.

These sort of drops in rankings of Tier 2 schools should not influence your decision so heavily. After the top 50 (and some would even say top 20), these sort of differences in rank don't mean nearly as much as each school's respective pull within their regions. Schools like Temple, Rutgers, and SJU will probably continue to fluctuate in the rankings each year. I still don't see for instance why Temple dropping from 59 to 65, suddenly renders it less ideal than it would've been before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:23 pm

jrod wrote:All true. No one is addressing that Rut N dropped ten slots. though. What if they drop another ten? Also with SJU you don't have to live in NJ (just my preference I know).

In addition, even though Dean Walton expressed confidence that job-finding is m ore fruitful for RN grads than for SJU, I feel like this is hard to believe as SJU is in Queens and NYC just feels more flush with SJU grads, whereas RN is spread out across tri-state area.

Rutgers, if you live in NJ, is, of course, cheaper.

Random hijack of own thread: I was just put on reserve at Cornell!
I'm guessing that she defends RU as having better job prospects than SJU not because of the proximity to NYC, but because of Rutgers University's reputation. It was the first law school in NJ, and as such, it has a very established alumni network. Ruth Bader Ginsburg taught there, and it is heavily recruited by biglaw at OCIs. True, you have to be near the top of your class....but the same goes for SJU. I just think that the name carries more weight than SJU. But that's only my assessment - take it for what it's worth.

The rankings drop is definitely scary, I won't lie. When I saw that, it definitely jolted me a bit. But I wouldn't let it intimidate you - rankings fluctuate so much from year to year, and not all of the changes are predictable. Good luck!

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Was just about to say the same thing, 2009. I would have been concerned if SJ fell out of the Top 100 completely, but it wouldn't have matter much to me if there ranking changed 10 spots either way.

To the OP: of course the Rutgers dean is going to say that her school places better than SJ. It's her job to gas you up. Just go to the school that you like better and feel more comfortable, as it seems like the schools are going to end up being about the same price.

And to 2009: did you decide on Pitt? As of today, I've decided to take the 'similar' option and go to St Johns.

jrod

New

Post by jrod » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:53 pm

SJ didn't change Jewtang Clan. RN did.

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:23 pm

I understand that, just saying I only would have been concerned if SJ completely shit the bed and fell out of the Top 100.

RN is exactly what it was last yr- a middle of the road t2.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:27 pm

jewtangclan03 wrote:Was just about to say the same thing, 2009. I would have been concerned if SJ fell out of the Top 100 completely, but it wouldn't have matter much to me if there ranking changed 10 spots either way.

To the OP: of course the Rutgers dean is going to say that her school places better than SJ. It's her job to gas you up. Just go to the school that you like better and feel more comfortable, as it seems like the schools are going to end up being about the same price.

And to 2009: did you decide on Pitt? As of today, I've decided to take the 'similar' option and go to St Johns.
As of now, I'll be depositing at Pitt and Richmond but leaning towards Pitt. Good luck at SJU, must've been hard to pass up on Richmond.

jewtangclan03

New

Post by jewtangclan03 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:09 pm

Yes, for anyone that knows anything about me or has followed my posts knows this was really hard for me to do.

2009, good luck with your decision and at whichever ls you matriculate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”