University of Kentucky College of Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
eastern09

New

University of Kentucky College of Law Class of 2012

Post by eastern09 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:15 am

Anyone else headed to Lexington in the fall? I am very excited and nervous to get started. I hope that the "pre-orientation happy hours" take place that were mentioned in the ASD packet we were given so that we can know some people going in.

Garinold

New

Re: University of Kentucky College of Law Class of 2012

Post by Garinold » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:29 am

There are 11 other schools I have to hear back from yet, but right now UK law is the best place I've been admitted to in terms of ranking and pricing (diversity scholarship). And it will probably be very competitive with some of the other schools I may be admitted to, unless they offer substantial $$$.

I attended the admitted students day last month and for one Lexington is a very nice place. It looked very clean and equally safe, and the cost of living definitely seemed more than reasonable. As far as the law building is concerned I think all the negativity I've heard about it overtime is exaggerated. Yes it is small and looks outdated. However, Ive seen worse, have been to worse, and it really didn't look all that bad. I know that the professors for the 1L classes, or so I've heard, are real stricklers for the Socratic method so I'm looking forward to that. My ultimate goal is to end up working for the federal gov't right after graduation (this could of course change since alot happens in 3 years), and what really struck me was the 25% of the 2007 class (numbers for 08 weren't available) took judicial clerkships. They didn't show the break down between State & Federal, but that looked like a strong figure to me nonetheless.

drakewing

New

Post by drakewing » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:17 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit and yeah, I'm excited. I didn't originally even plan to apply to UK but they've convinced me. I've been researching up the wazoo about Lexington and am happy that at minimum, it will be better than Alabama, where I am now. Looking forward to a city recycling program, a bus system and what looks like a decent downtown area. The Daniel Boone Forest could be a nice escape too, if my partner can manage to pry my laptop from my hands for half a day.

Maybe I'm a softy, but I appreciate the tone of all of the UK correspondence I've received and even though I know it's used on everyone they let in, that "We want you at UK!" at the end of every email has made an impression. (The out of state tuition waiver also helped.)

I agree it'd be nice to get to know the other soon-to-be 1L's before Aug 21st.

eastern09

New

Post by eastern09 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:42 am

Glad to hear from a couple of others! It makes me feel good that people from out of state like UK as well. I have lived in KY (but not Lexington) my entire life. I love it here and want to stay to work. I agree that the tone of the admission office messages was great, and I really felt wanted. If you guys want to work in Kentucky or this region after graduation, I assure you that UK has an awesome reputation. When you tell people that you are going to UK Law here, people instantly respect you. It is really looked highly upon, certainly disproportionate to its name nationally.

See you guys in the fall!

wwarren

New

Post by wwarren » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:05 pm

I had to decide between UK and Case Western and went with Case Western. Hope I made the right choice. Good luck to all of you who are going to UK, it seems like a great school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:04 pm

eastern09 wrote:Anyone else headed to Lexington in the fall? I am very excited and nervous to get started. I hope that the "pre-orientation happy hours" take place that were mentioned in the ASD packet we were given so that we can know some people going in.
Last year they had a bunch of these, I know.

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:56 am

Anyone on here attending the Legends game in August for UK 1L's?

Garinold

New

Post by Garinold » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:08 pm

ukerock2005 wrote:Anyone on here attending the Legends game in August for UK 1L's?
Can you elaborate on that?

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:16 pm

Garinold wrote:
ukerock2005 wrote:Anyone on here attending the Legends game in August for UK 1L's?
Can you elaborate on that?
They have a group on facebook for us called UK Law Class of 2012. Once you join that you will get a facebook invite to go to a baseball game. The lexington baseball team is called the Legends. On Aug 14th 1L's and our mentors are going to go watch a game to get to know each other. It will be 4 dollars a person and we will meet at the law building and car pool over. Just one of the events over the summer for us to meet each other. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. I was a UK undergrad so I know the school and city well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

doubled99

New

Post by doubled99 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:56 pm

How did you all hear of yourt acceptances? Did Kentucky use email, snail mail or call for those accepted?

ukerock2005

New

Post by ukerock2005 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Uk sent out an email then I also got a letter a few days later.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”