Vanderbilt 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
GetMeAShrink
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby GetMeAShrink » Sun May 17, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey all, I'm not really a Facebook person, so I apologize for using this as a venue for an ad.

I'm a 25 year-old female looking for a roommate, preferably a human. I'm Vandy 2012, and I'm looking mostly at 20 & Grand and Bristol on Broadway, because even though I have a car, I'm one of those roll out of bed, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and go type of people, and I'd like to live in a space I can fell happy about occupying. I'm neat and tidy, although not obsessive about it, I like to cook good food, jog in scenic areas, I love a good movie, and I like to jam to my tunes. I'm very laid-back.

I'll be moving from L.A., but I'm originally from Michigan, and the gender of my potential roommate doesn't matter.

Feel free to PM me if I look like a good match for you.

Thanks.

vhalcyon
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby vhalcyon » Sun May 17, 2009 8:19 pm

congrats everyone from a rising 2L in London on his way to Vanderbilt in Venice. (yes JNSL and rez, i did that to make you a little jealous).

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun May 17, 2009 9:55 pm

vhalcyon wrote:congrats everyone from a rising 2L in London on his way to Vanderbilt in Venice. (yes JNSL and rez, i did that to make you a little jealous).


But are you scurrying to finish write-on even though you feel it's hopeless? No? Didn't think so! Take that!


...fuck write-on.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun May 17, 2009 9:58 pm

GetMeAShrink wrote:Hey all, I'm not really a Facebook person, so I apologize for using this as a venue for an ad.

I'm a 25 year-old female looking for a roommate, preferably a human. I'm Vandy 2012, and I'm looking mostly at 20 & Grand and Bristol on Broadway, because even though I have a car, I'm one of those roll out of bed, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and go type of people, and I'd like to live in a space I can fell happy about occupying. I'm neat and tidy, although not obsessive about it, I like to cook good food, jog in scenic areas, I love a good movie, and I like to jam to my tunes. I'm very laid-back.

I'll be moving from L.A., but I'm originally from Michigan, and the gender of my potential roommate doesn't matter.

Feel free to PM me if I look like a good match for you.

Thanks.


Just want to say that I highly recommend being a Facebook person, at least over the next few months. I think you'll find it most beneficial during the weeks prior to orientation when people are getting together and having a little fun getting to know each other.

User avatar
jayhawkai
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:36 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby jayhawkai » Sun May 17, 2009 10:32 pm

GetMeAShrink wrote:Hey all, I'm not really a Facebook person, so I apologize for using this as a venue for an ad.

I'm a 25 year-old female looking for a roommate, preferably a human. I'm Vandy 2012, and I'm looking mostly at 20 & Grand and Bristol on Broadway, because even though I have a car, I'm one of those roll out of bed, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and go type of people, and I'd like to live in a space I can fell happy about occupying. I'm neat and tidy, although not obsessive about it, I like to cook good food, jog in scenic areas, I love a good movie, and I like to jam to my tunes. I'm very laid-back.

I'll be moving from L.A., but I'm originally from Michigan, and the gender of my potential roommate doesn't matter.

Feel free to PM me if I look like a good match for you.

Thanks.


Hmmm, what kind of tunes?

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby jenesaislaw » Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 am

write-on sucks write-on sucks write-on sucks write-on sucks

User avatar
1848
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby 1848 » Mon May 18, 2009 2:42 pm

......
Last edited by 1848 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GetMeAShrink
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby GetMeAShrink » Mon May 18, 2009 4:43 pm

jayhawkai wrote:
GetMeAShrink wrote:Hey all, I'm not really a Facebook person, so I apologize for using this as a venue for an ad.

I'm a 25 year-old female looking for a roommate, preferably a human. I'm Vandy 2012, and I'm looking mostly at 20 & Grand and Bristol on Broadway, because even though I have a car, I'm one of those roll out of bed, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and go type of people, and I'd like to live in a space I can fell happy about occupying. I'm neat and tidy, although not obsessive about it, I like to cook good food, jog in scenic areas, I love a good movie, and I like to jam to my tunes. I'm very laid-back.

I'll be moving from L.A., but I'm originally from Michigan, and the gender of my potential roommate doesn't matter.

Feel free to PM me if I look like a good match for you.

Thanks.


Hmmm, what kind of tunes?


dungen, fleet foxes, radiohead, the doors, prince, tears for fears, roy ayers, funkadelic, joni mitchell, yes, the beatles, nina simone, bob marley, curtis mayfield, etc etc etc

User avatar
DCDeckard
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby DCDeckard » Tue May 19, 2009 8:52 am

Does anyone know of a specific email address where financial aid inquiries should be directed? I'm looking at Vandy's Costs & Financial Assistance page and it says questions should be directed to the Admissions Office. I just want to make sure my questions go to the right person. Thanks guys.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby animalcrkrs » Tue May 19, 2009 9:55 am

Richelle Acker (I think all email addy's are firstname.lastname@vanderbilt.edu
The 08-09 handbook here

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/academics/academic-programs/phd-program-in-law--economics/for-prospective-students/download.aspx?id=2807

also says she handles financial aid stuff.

User avatar
DCDeckard
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby DCDeckard » Tue May 19, 2009 9:59 am

animalcrkrs wrote:Richelle Acker (I think all email addy's are firstname.lastname@vanderbilt.edu
The 08-09 handbook here

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/academics/academic-programs/phd-program-in-law--economics/for-prospective-students/download.aspx?id=2807

also says she handles financial aid stuff.


Cool, thanks :)

User avatar
observationalist
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby observationalist » Tue May 19, 2009 12:11 pm

GetMeAShrink wrote:
jayhawkai wrote:
GetMeAShrink wrote:Hey all, I'm not really a Facebook person, so I apologize for using this as a venue for an ad.

I'm a 25 year-old female looking for a roommate, preferably a human. I'm Vandy 2012, and I'm looking mostly at 20 & Grand and Bristol on Broadway, because even though I have a car, I'm one of those roll out of bed, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and go type of people, and I'd like to live in a space I can fell happy about occupying. I'm neat and tidy, although not obsessive about it, I like to cook good food, jog in scenic areas, I love a good movie, and I like to jam to my tunes. I'm very laid-back.

I'll be moving from L.A., but I'm originally from Michigan, and the gender of my potential roommate doesn't matter.

Feel free to PM me if I look like a good match for you.

Thanks.


Hmmm, what kind of tunes?


dungen, fleet foxes, radiohead, the doors, prince, tears for fears, roy ayers, funkadelic, joni mitchell, yes, the beatles, nina simone, bob marley, curtis mayfield, etc etc etc


I have a lot of Yes on vinyl since I inherited my parents (and grandfather's) record collection. We will have parties at our house in the fall and you will be invited, along with your roommate if you can find one. But I reiterate jenesaislaw's point: you will do much better on Facebook than you will on here for finding a roommate, as you will for any student organizations you wish to join (Legal Aid, Social Justice, etc). It's a good way to stay in the loop and you can always set up privacy settings to limit your exposure to others. I don't think I've had a wall where people can post on for close to two years now, and it has served me well.

I think school also has a book/email list they put together of people looking for housing... or at least they did that in my year.

GetMeAShrink
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby GetMeAShrink » Tue May 19, 2009 12:27 pm

observationalist wrote:
GetMeAShrink wrote:
jayhawkai wrote:
GetMeAShrink wrote:Hey all, I'm not really a Facebook person, so I apologize for using this as a venue for an ad.

I'm a 25 year-old female looking for a roommate, preferably a human. I'm Vandy 2012, and I'm looking mostly at 20 & Grand and Bristol on Broadway, because even though I have a car, I'm one of those roll out of bed, wipe the sleep out of my eyes, and go type of people, and I'd like to live in a space I can fell happy about occupying. I'm neat and tidy, although not obsessive about it, I like to cook good food, jog in scenic areas, I love a good movie, and I like to jam to my tunes. I'm very laid-back.

I'll be moving from L.A., but I'm originally from Michigan, and the gender of my potential roommate doesn't matter.

Feel free to PM me if I look like a good match for you.

Thanks.


Hmmm, what kind of tunes?


dungen, fleet foxes, radiohead, the doors, prince, tears for fears, roy ayers, funkadelic, joni mitchell, yes, the beatles, nina simone, bob marley, curtis mayfield, etc etc etc


I have a lot of Yes on vinyl since I inherited my parents (and grandfather's) record collection. We will have parties at our house in the fall and you will be invited, along with your roommate if you can find one. But I reiterate jenesaislaw's point: you will do much better on Facebook than you will on here for finding a roommate, as you will for any student organizations you wish to join (Legal Aid, Social Justice, etc). It's a good way to stay in the loop and you can always set up privacy settings to limit your exposure to others. I don't think I've had a wall where people can post on for close to two years now, and it has served me well.

I think school also has a book/email list they put together of people looking for housing... or at least they did that in my year.


Thanks for the Facebook insight. I guess I'll bite the bullet and join. I'm just not one of those "omg, we went to high school together; what are you up to?" people, so I'll have to set up that privacy stuff. Looking forward to those parties, too.

hov!
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby hov! » Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 pm

1848 wrote:Do most 1Ls stay in Nashville for the writing competition? How long do you all have after finals to complete it? I might be signing a 9 month lease so this info could be helpful when considering when my start date should be in August.


Most of the 1Ls I know that remained in Nashville for the competition either had a year lease or were going to work in Nashville over the summer.

You have approximate 2 weeks after finals to complete it. Previously they released it on the Monday after the last final which was on Friday, so you had 2 weeks to finish. This year they decided to release the writing competition immediately after the last final and give you 16 days to finish it.

vhalcyon
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby vhalcyon » Thu May 21, 2009 12:25 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:
vhalcyon wrote:congrats everyone from a rising 2L in London on his way to Vanderbilt in Venice. (yes JNSL and rez, i did that to make you a little jealous).


But are you scurrying to finish write-on even though you feel it's hopeless? No? Didn't think so! Take that!


...fuck write-on.


i scurried a little bit. but then the people at the bar at the hostel kept offering me beer. not exactly helpful.

in paris now... and ill re-iterate the re-iteration of JNSL's facebook comment. the facebook group is a great way to get to know people and bounce questions off of people.

User avatar
not
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:22 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby not » Thu May 28, 2009 11:03 pm

hello.

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby animalcrkrs » Thu May 28, 2009 11:09 pm

hi not!
good to see you on this side of the forum :)

User avatar
tudo ben
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby tudo ben » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:18 pm

Curious for anyone in the know . . I'm planning on living downtown. Huge mistake? I was looking into the Grove/Brixworth scene and decided that if I was going to be over a mile from school I might as well be walking distance to bars/music. It came down to downtown vs. the Gardens at Hillsboro, and downtown actually was less $$ and more flexible lease-wise.

I guess I'm a little worried about being out of the loop and away from things going on towards school. Any thoughts on this? Do people spend a lot of time downtown?

User avatar
DCDeckard
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby DCDeckard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:48 am

I am also looking into housing and weighing the cost/benefits of living closer to campus and paying more or living a few miles a way and getting more bang for the buck. Maybe current students/Observationalist can chime in, but it seems like as long as you are within a few miles of campus you will be fine and not miss out on anything. I'm still trying to acquaint myself with the different areas, but I think you'd be fine downtown.

User avatar
jenesaislaw
Posts: 996
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby jenesaislaw » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:01 am

tudo ben wrote:Curious for anyone in the know . . I'm planning on living downtown. Huge mistake? I was looking into the Grove/Brixworth scene and decided that if I was going to be over a mile from school I might as well be walking distance to bars/music. It came down to downtown vs. the Gardens at Hillsboro, and downtown actually was less $$ and more flexible lease-wise.

I guess I'm a little worried about being out of the loop and away from things going on towards school. Any thoughts on this? Do people spend a lot of time downtown?


Stay away from the Brixworth. That will just end up being annoying for when you cab back from downtown, and everybody you're with goes to the Grove.

I drove by the Cumberland last night (555 Church, I believe) and thought about what life would have been line had I lived there this past year instead of the Grove. Perhaps not that different, but it isn't a chance I would have liked to have taken. My friends go downtown a lot, but also other places, so it isn't always within walking distance to where people will be. You could consider emailing Admissions and asking them for a list of people who lived downtown, such that you can contact them for their opinions.

Jojo
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:43 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby Jojo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:31 am

We have a friend who lives downtown and ends up hosting a lot of pregames, so that would be cool if you do that. Also, it would make getting downtown cheap and easy (the grove people always have to cab or pay for parking and I would rather be in the opposite situation because finding parking at the grove is easy). But driving to school everyday might be annoying - it sort of depends on what you are used to. Also, when people meet for dinner it is usually around the law school. No one ever goes downtown except to drink and do the honky tonks, so just be prepared to use your car a lot. But it is better than the Brixworth, for sure.

User avatar
DCDeckard
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby DCDeckard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm trying to figure out if a bus runs from a prospective apartment to campus and MTA's trip planner website doesn't seem to be working. Anyone know if there is a bus that runs up West End Avenue to campus? Thanks.

Jojo
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:43 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby Jojo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:16 pm

yes. The 3 does. But it only runs every half an hour and once an hour on weekends. (I think). Still, people took it everyday from the Grove last year. If you are coming from downtown the 7 also works.

User avatar
DCDeckard
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:12 pm

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby DCDeckard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks Jojo. I will be in Nashville checking out the city and looking at apartments this Friday and Saturday (June 19 and 20). If any 0Ls/current students are in the area and want to hang out, PM me. Cheers!

Jojo
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:43 am

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Postby Jojo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:42 pm

There are definitely current students around. My mom is in town, so I am prob out, but I will try to set something up with some people and let you know.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest