Cardozo Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Cardozo Class of 2012

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:39 pm

I know this is a quiet thread, but in hopes that someone sees this:

Is anyone still looking for housing? I have to move uptown, for obvious reasons, but my little apartment on E 11th between 3rd and 4th will be going back on the market August 1st. This apartment is literally two blocks from Cardozo. It's a large 1br that is currently functioning as a 2br, with lots of privacy, but little common space. It's seriously on the best block in this city, though; I'm standing at my window now, staring at Webster Hall across the street. I'll be sad to leave this place, even though it's downtown tiny. I'm going to talk to our super and see if management will reduce the rent for the next tenant.

Obviously, there is no broker fee.

A TLSer should get to live here, so please PM me if there is any interest.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:48 am

don't move! stay so we can have lunch every now and then. you don't want to live close to school...

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:01 pm

i just got a place on 8th and mercer. what up!

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:56 am

Hey Folks,

After a long debate I have decided to attend Cardozo.

See you all at orientation.

shellys case

New

Post by shellys case » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:26 am

As long as you're comfortable making less money than a high school dropout, 'Bozo is a great choice. Document review projects in NYC paying $25 an hour (w/ no health insurance) are like virtual 'Bozo class reunions. Placement from 'Bozo is beyond abysmal. A second tier also-ran in a town full of Top 14 grads, 'Bozo is aptly named since its grads are among NYC's biggest clowns. On the doc review circuit 'Bozo grads affect an air of superiority as if the school were Columbia or NYU. Fact is, it's a sewer on par with NYLS or Pace when it comes to Biglaw placement. Anyone outside the top 5% will be scrounging craigslist with the NYLS crew for landlord tenant firms paying south of 40 K.

But hey, why believe me? I'm an admitted attorney who's almost 5 years into this sewer of an industry. Go ahead and self-reinforce with the 0 L's here who will regurgitate the bogus admissions brochure dreck about average starting salary and the 3 or 4 'Bozo people who got gigs at Skadden and Sull Crom etc.

You are about to pay Ivy-league price for a shitlaw degree. It's like entering a rusted out Yugo with 4 flat tires into NASCAR: the deck is already absurdly stacked against you. Have you looked at the GPA you'll have to maintain to keep the $$$? A classic Shitlaw trick that's esp. true at NYC sewers like 'Bozo is to lure the lemmings w/ big $$$ and then take them away after 1st semster grades. It's no different than an infomerical bait n' switch. The admins correctly assume that after One L you'll be too deep in to "give up" and will suffer thru the rest of the toilet program at full price. You won't be a "quitter" because, after all, law is such a lucrative, exciting profession, right? Just like Boston Legal?

Please take my advice. If 'Bozo was the best school you could score into, take that as a sign that you aren't cut out for the legal industry. I'd rather you hear the sad truth now than after you waste 100 K lining the pockets of the sub-human scum who operate that diploma mill. Feel free to PM me at temp.esq@gmail.com if you'd like to speak in private. I'd love to talk just one person out of entering this bottom scraping sewer of an industry.

Your pal,

Skadden Farts

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:24 am

shelly, what is your angle? you've really been on a roll lately posting your unfounded drivel all over this board. your anti-GW thread, for example, is an absolute joke. this post is no better. maybe you should show a modicum of decency and take a break?

maxima099

New

Post by maxima099 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 am

You have issues.

BTW - I agree that Cardozo is overpriced which is why I didn't go. But it's still a great school with a great reputation.

shellys case wrote:As long as you're comfortable making less money than a high school dropout, 'Bozo is a great choice. Document review projects in NYC paying $25 an hour (w/ no health insurance) are like virtual 'Bozo class reunions. Placement from 'Bozo is beyond abysmal. A second tier also-ran in a town full of Top 14 grads, 'Bozo is aptly named since its grads are among NYC's biggest clowns. On the doc review circuit 'Bozo grads affect an air of superiority as if the school were Columbia or NYU. Fact is, it's a sewer on par with NYLS or Pace when it comes to Biglaw placement. Anyone outside the top 5% will be scrounging craigslist with the NYLS crew for landlord tenant firms paying south of 40 K.

But hey, why believe me? I'm an admitted attorney who's almost 5 years into this sewer of an industry. Go ahead and self-reinforce with the 0 L's here who will regurgitate the bogus admissions brochure dreck about average starting salary and the 3 or 4 'Bozo people who got gigs at Skadden and Sull Crom etc.

You are about to pay Ivy-league price for a shitlaw degree. It's like entering a rusted out Yugo with 4 flat tires into NASCAR: the deck is already absurdly stacked against you. Have you looked at the GPA you'll have to maintain to keep the $$$? A classic Shitlaw trick that's esp. true at NYC sewers like 'Bozo is to lure the lemmings w/ big $$$ and then take them away after 1st semster grades. It's no different than an infomerical bait n' switch. The admins correctly assume that after One L you'll be too deep in to "give up" and will suffer thru the rest of the toilet program at full price. You won't be a "quitter" because, after all, law is such a lucrative, exciting profession, right? Just like Boston Legal?

Please take my advice. If 'Bozo was the best school you could score into, take that as a sign that you aren't cut out for the legal industry. I'd rather you hear the sad truth now than after you waste 100 K lining the pockets of the sub-human scum who operate that diploma mill. Feel free to PM me at temp.esq@gmail.com if you'd like to speak in private. I'd love to talk just one person out of entering this bottom scraping sewer of an industry.

Your pal,

Skadden Farts

shellys case

New

Post by shellys case » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:02 am

shelly, what is your angle? you've really been on a roll lately posting your unfounded drivel all over this board

The unfounded drivel is coming from 'Bozo, not me. I bet you didn't know that 'Bozo fired their entire career services staff a couple years ago for lying to US News about salary and placement data?

Check this out: http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... h-pay.html

That's the reality of law in 2009, not the rosy picture painted by the shysters at 'Bozo. You literally would not believe the amount of 'Bozos in the document review gutter. I really hope you don't expect to make a dime more than 40 K coming out of that toilet. Have you talked to any current students that aren't shills for the admin? I bet you won't like what you hear.

Here's an assignment: go on lawjobs.com and find me ONE entry level attorney job. Just one. Imagine that you are scanning that board not as a pre-law, but as an indebted 'Bozo grad trying to pay the rent.

And speaking of rent, you guys are BORROWING money to live in Manhattan while attending this toilet? Er, a newsflash: you aren't at NYU. Biglaw for you guys is a pipedream at best. 'Bozo's placement was nothing special when times were booming, and with this meltdown no legitimate law firm is going to waste time trolling 'Bozo for gunners when hordes of NYU and Columbia grads are begging for work. Even top 5% at 'Bozo is kinda like winning the Special Olympics: after the ceremony, you're still a retard.

shellys case

New

Post by shellys case » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:19 am

Hey, thanks for the apartment advice you guys. I am paying my deposit today, so I am now officially committed! There are so many people bashing Cardozo on this site, but the impression I got from the school was overwhelmingly positive. What is up with all the haters...

Because it's an overpriced also-ran in the world's most competitive legal market. Sure, the "impression" you got from them is great: they want your money! It's like going to a Toyota dealership and walking away "impressed" with a Camry.

Make no mistake, you'll likely be scrounging craigslist for sub 40 K shitjobs upon graduation. BTW, the people who operate this dump are such financial wizards that they lost 15 million in the Madoff scam!

I wish I could get across the sheer depth of the mistake you're about to make. The shysters who operate this dump should be ashamed of themselves. Hate to tell you, but the JDU gang are the norm and not the exception when it comes to TTT dumps like 'Bozo. EVERYONE on that site is a lawyer, most of them in NYC. No one on this site is a lawyer, yet you're all experts on how great toilets like 'Bozo place and how easy landing government jobs is if you miss Biglaw, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:43 pm

This is fun.

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm

This guy is such a schmuck. Kinda funny though.

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Even if everything in the above cautionary tale(s) is true, wouldn't it be slightly more valuable in the "Choosing a Law School" part of the forum? I mean, does he really expect people a month out from orientation, who have already deposited, taken out loans, and have found or are in the process of finding housing to just drop everything and withdraw because some guy on the Internet told you to? To me, it just seems like SC's purpose is to fuck with people during an already very tense and stressful phase of their lives. And if that's his thing, he should really think about finding a new thing.

BTW, I don't think everything above is true, but that's another post. Other business: how many of us are in NYC already? Among those that are, is anyone interested in having a mini-TLS meetup pre-orientation and get a head start on forming a clique of underachieving, doc review-bound losers?

mjustice

New

Post by mjustice » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Comrade 72 wrote: Other business: how many of us are in NYC already? Among those that are, is anyone interested in having a mini-TLS meetup pre-orientation and get a head start on forming a clique of underachieving, doc review-bound losers?
As a fellow incoming Cardozo 1L, I will be living in NY at the beginning of August. I think a pre-orientation meet-up is a great idea, especially since I am so unfamiliar with the area. My knowledge of the city is limited to the abundance of shops selling "I <3 NY" T-Shirts (Ok, I am kidding, but I have never lived there before).

On another note: The housing search is a little bit frustrating. Have any of you used a particular no-fee broker? Or have you just relied on websites such as villagevoice.com?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:26 pm

As a fellow incoming Cardozo 1L, I will be living in NY at the beginning of August. I think a pre-orientation meet-up is a great idea, especially since I am so unfamiliar with the area. My knowledge of the city is limited to the abundance of shops selling "I <3 NY" T-Shirts (Ok, I am kidding, but I have never lived there before).

On another note: The housing search is a little bit frustrating. Have any of you used a particular no-fee broker? Or have you just relied on websites such as villagevoice.com?
I'd skip villagevoice.com (actually, skip the Village Voice altogether; it's really gone to shit in the last few years) and just go to Craigslist. Generally speaking, the housing market here is a bit too fast-paced for print media, or at least it was back during the good old Age of Leverage. There's a lot of separating the wheat from the chaff on CL, but it's generally possible to find something workable after a day or two of searching. If all else fails, post something in the "housing wanted" section (though don't let on that you're new in town). Another thing - most NYC transplants of our age group use sublets as their gateway to NY, and I suggest you do the same; if possible, try to get a month-to-month deal. That way you won't be tied to something if it turns out to suck, and you'll have time to get a sense of different neighborhoods and figure out where you actually want to live.

If you - or anyone - has any relocation questions, feel free to PM me. I did it a couple years ago, on a shoestring budget, to boot, so I've been where you are. Good luck, y'all --

C72

newportlady

New

Post by newportlady » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:13 am

Seriously, like the above poster mentioned, I hope you aren't going to be paying nyc rents on student loans. What is the interest rate on those GradPlus things right now, 8.5%? That's insane. Your average Cardozo grad doesn't earn much more than your average paralegal. How are you going to pay for health insurance AND a home AND save for retirement when you have three years of rent payments compounding at 8.5% interest?

Seriously, a Cardozo law degree right now is like a Miami condo in 2005. Just do a little historical research. Graph average US salaries along with Cardozo tuition costs adjusted for inflation.

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 am

Seriously, like the above poster mentioned, I hope you aren't going to be paying nyc rents on student loans.
Did you just start a new account for the sole purpose of making it look like someone agrees with you? What is wrong with you?

newportlady

New

Post by newportlady » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:23 am

It is not the same account.

You don't have to agree with me, just do the math. Cardozo is an AWFUL financial investment. If you plan on putting 3 years of nyc rent on an 8.5% interest non-dischargeable loan, you really need to step back and reconsider.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:32 am

It is not the same account.

You don't have to agree with me, just do the math. Cardozo is an AWFUL financial investment. If you plan on putting 3 years of nyc rent on an 8.5% interest non-dischargeable loan, you really need to step back and reconsider.
Yeah, I know it's not the same account. It's a new one. I'm sorry, but when your one and only post is in a relatively obscure thread and its only purpose is to agree with someone else, 2 and 2 are not all that hard to fit together.

Anyway, I don't care if you're the same person or not. I'm just going to repeat what I've already said: people about three weeks from the start of 1L are not going to up and withdraw from school based on an anonymous someone ranting on the Internet. Write us off as collateral damage and leave us alone. If your passion really is dissuading people from going to Cardozo, then go to the Choosing a Law School forum and do your thing there to your heart's content.

newportlady

New

Post by newportlady » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:48 am

So what, if you only have three weeks left? Go down and defer for a year. Stay in NYC, get a job as a paralegal, talk with as many lawyers as you can, and see if it is something you ultimately want to do. Why ruin your whole financial future just to avoid the hassle of having to defer three weeks before classes begin? Putting three years of nyc rent on an 8.5% non-dischargeable loan is a HUGE mistake.

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 am

Stay in NYC, get a job as a paralegal, talk with as many lawyers as you can, and see if it is something you ultimately want to do.
I already am in NYC, I already do work at a V15 firm, and I already have talked to as many lawyers (some of them close personal friends) as I could. None of them said anything remotely resembling what you've been saying.

jd joke degree

New

Post by jd joke degree » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:09 am

Here's a typical job for a 'Bozo grad:

--LinkRemoved--

Salaries don't really rise outside Biglaw. You start at 40 K or less and scrounge your way up to 55 to 60 K and that's pretty much top end for gutter work like landlord/tenant or insurance defense. Forget about using toilet law experience to move up to a prestigious practice area. It is well documented that midlaw "botiques" hire ex-Biglaw people with portable business, not TTT 'Bozo grads with a few years of fender-bender litigation under their belt.

Note that the above job isn't even entry level- he wants 2 years experience for 55 K. This is not unusual and is pretty much par for the course for any TTT grad in NYC. I have 3 years personal injury experience (including 2 jury trials) and was recently offered 58 K by a 20 lawyer NYC insurance defense mill. Experience in gutter areas like this is worth nothing. On Saturday I am taking the Praxis II exam and getting started on becoming a public schoolteacher in NJ. Many of you should consider doing likewise. Teachers outearn lawyers from TTT's like 'Bozo by a wide margin, esp. when you consider the loan repayment. How can you pay even $500 a month in loan on a 55 K salary in the most expensive area of the entire country?

And don't worry, this guy will get over 150 resumes for that job. You guys seem to think 'Bozo is some diamond in the rough. Fact is, it's an also-ran TTT that places on par with NYLS, St John's, and Hofstra. And with the Biglaw ranks thinning by the day, it's doubtful any firms will bother showing up for OCI at schools of 'Bozo's caliber when so few spots exist. Even median at Top 14s is going to have trouble in this market, so I'm not sure how you plan on shopping a 'Bozo degree to these firms.

It's not to late too drop out. Call today and tell them you've changed your mind and would like to withdraw. You'll be glad you did when you read about 'Bozo 2012 on JDU three years from now complaining there are no jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 am

I don't know how many times and in how many ways I can say this, Shellys/Newport/JDJoke: take it to Choosing a Law School. I'm sorry. Thank you for being the one person in my life that is willing to tell the truth, but it's a lost cause. In three years, when I am shivering in the cardboard box that I go home to from my doc review jobs, I will think of you fondly, and name after you the mangy stray cat that, by that point, will be my only companion*.

*please specify which of your three usernames you would like the stray cat to be named after

jd joke degree

New

Post by jd joke degree » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 am

BTW, the field of temporary document review work (which once was where 95% of 'Bozo grads ended up) is really getting bad. Wanna make $10 an hour?

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... h-pay.html

Folks, this is serious. These doc review and craigslist gigs aren't for bottom of the class at CUNY or NYLS, they're what you're going to be competing for against most all NYC Second Tier chumps and the bottom half of Fordham. Doesn't it worry you that you have a 5% or less chance of Biglaw and a 95% chance of ending up in document review, shitlaw at 40 K, or (most likely) unemployed or out of law altogether?

newportlady

New

Post by newportlady » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:25 am

"I already am in NYC, I already do work at a V15 firm, and I already have talked to as many lawyers (some of them close personal friends) as I could. None of them said anything remotely resembling what you've been saying."

Are you kidding me? The V15 is being decimated. Have you not seen all the deferrals and layoffs going on? If the kids in the T14 are freaking out and being no offered left and right, imagine how bad it is going to be for the rest of the graduates in the lower 1st tier. The legal market is literally collapsing. No hyperbole. Even when things recover, most legal experts agree that the legal profession will never be the same. Why pay Cardozo tuition which is even MORE inflated than the maxed out tuition level rates of '05? Add that to the fact that you plan on putting three years of nyc rent on an 8.5% non-dischargeable loan?

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:31 am

If the kids in the T14 are freaking out and being no offered left and right, imagine how bad it is going to be for the rest of the graduates in the lower 1st tier.
Which begs the question: why are you not being similarly hysterical in the Fordham, Brooklyn, NYLS, etc., etc., etc. threads?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”