Cardozo Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Comrade 72

New

Re: Cardozo Class of 2012

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Sent my deposit in today. Then thought about the debt load that I'll be taking on, and then wept a little. Oh well.

If anyone needs input/advice on relocating to NYC, let me know; I did it two years ago, during the heyday of the Age of Leverage, when everything was insanely overpriced, as opposed to now, when it is merely outrageously overpriced. If not me, make sure you talk to someone who lives here, because some folks on this board do not know what they are talking about. Not tryin' to be a dick or nothin', but seriously:
in regards to an apartment, the only place worth staying out of manhattan would be somewhere near the L in brooklyn (williamsburg, greenville) because it would take you right into union square.
There is no such place as Greenville in Brooklyn; presumably, you mean Greenpoint, which is not especially near the L (a 15+ minute walk or a transfer from the G, the bastard-est train of them all). Nor is Williamsburg much more affordable or less overpriced than many parts of Manhattan, unless you're talking about "South Williamsburg," which is actually Bushwick and/or Bedford-Stuyvesant (where you probably will not want to live). Or:
Sections of brooklyn that most of us will probably be able to afford are DEFINITELY not more beautiful and/or interesting than decent parts of Queens.
Well, no. The only decent part of Queens for a young professional student to live, as fluffy noted, is pretty much Astoria and possibly parts of Long Island City. Most of the other parts of inner Queens are ethnic enclaves that don't exactly roll out the red carpet for outsiders, and are reachable mostly by the 7 train, which is not a happy train. Whereas in Brooklyn you'll be able to find relatively fair prices and occasionally an outright steal in neighborhoods like Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Park Slope, and Prospect Heights. For example, I live in Windsor Terrace (just south of Prospect Park) in a huge 1BR that costs less than some studios do in Manhattan, and the broker fee was paid by the landlord. Just sayin'.

Anyway. Good luck to all, and see you in August/September/whenever.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Comrade 72 wrote: Not tryin' to be a dick or nothin', but seriously:
in regards to an apartment, the only place worth staying out of manhattan would be somewhere near the L in brooklyn (williamsburg, greenville) because it would take you right into union square.
There is no such place as Greenville in Brooklyn;
LOL. True that. I forgot to add windsor terrace, greenpoint, and flatbush to my expansive list of good places to live in BK. I think part of the new york experience is planting yourself in it and figuring it out from there. Just don't be as narrow as this girl:

http://gawker.com/5202511/ivy-league-ma ... w-survives

hudsonRR2

New

Post by hudsonRR2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Comrade 72 wrote:
Well, no. The only decent part of Queens for a young professional student to live, as fluffy noted, is pretty much Astoria and possibly parts of Long Island City. Most of the other parts of inner Queens are ethnic enclaves that don't exactly roll out the red carpet for outsiders, and are reachable mostly by the 7 train, which is not a happy train.
That's an extremely close-minded statement, and I'm not saying that because I'm biased.

But anyway, I think the best advice is to GET OUT HERE and visit. People have different tastes, different budgets, and different thresholds for tolerance... don't rely on information from strangers on a forum to get an apartment where you'll have to spend at least the next year of your life.

I'm assuming we're all smart and resourceful... google it up (and get to new york before august. you're going to want time to settle in).

BonjourSunshine

New

Post by BonjourSunshine » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:42 am

I sent my deposit in, but I haven't had a chance to visit yet because of my work schedule. I have to wait until the Sneak Peek on May 5th.I also sent a deposit in at Loyola Chicago, but I'm leaning towards Cardozo.
Last edited by BonjourSunshine on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcastig4

New

Post by mcastig4 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm

fluffy wrote:
thea77 wrote:Would anyone recommend looking for a place in NJ?
no.
Obviously there will be NJ bias, but I'm looking to live in Hoboken with friends, which is pretty nice (in my opinion), cheaper than Manhattan (obviously), and a shorter commute than from Brooklyn or Queens (or if not shorter just as close if not closer, its 10 minutes to 14th street).

So my answer would be yes, but lots of people are hell bent on being "in the city" and won't look there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:41 pm

mcastig4 wrote:
fluffy wrote:
thea77 wrote:Would anyone recommend looking for a place in NJ?
no.
Obviously there will be NJ bias, but I'm looking to live in Hoboken with friends, which is pretty nice (in my opinion), cheaper than Manhattan (obviously), and a shorter commute than from Brooklyn or Queens (or if not shorter just as close if not closer, its 10 minutes to 14th street).

So my answer would be yes, but lots of people are hell bent on being "in the city" and won't look there.
I wouldn't automatically rule out NJ. I know people who enjoy living in Hoboken, although the word is that it's kind of fratty, which is not for everyone. Your commute will indeed be not bad (at least during the day), but three things to consider: 1. you'll have to pay to use two different systems; if you want to get unlimited monthly passes for both, that's going to be at least $135 every month, although probably closer to $160 if and when the MTA fares go up. or you can pay per ride on the MTA, but that adds up, or so I imagine. 2. No one will ever want to come visit you where you live. 3. The PATH infrastructure has an odd tendency to catch on fire for no apparent reason.
That's an extremely close-minded statement, and I'm not saying that because I'm biased.
Well, is it an extremely wrong statement? I'm not claiming to know everything, that's just my opinion. If you don't think it's right, then go ahead and share yours. Just calling someone close-minded isn't terribly constructive.

JPetrella18

New

Post by JPetrella18 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:38 am

Comrade 72 wrote:Sent my deposit in today. Then thought about the debt load that I'll be taking on, and then wept a little. Oh well.

If anyone needs input/advice on relocating to NYC, let me know; I did it two years ago, during the heyday of the Age of Leverage, when everything was insanely overpriced, as opposed to now, when it is merely outrageously overpriced. If not me, make sure you talk to someone who lives here, because some folks on this board do not know what they are talking about. Not tryin' to be a dick or nothin', but seriously:
There is no such place as Greenville in Brooklyn; presumably, you mean Greenpoint, which is not especially near the L (a 15+ minute walk or a transfer from the G, the bastard-est train of them all). Nor is Williamsburg much more affordable or less overpriced than many parts of Manhattan, unless you're talking about "South Williamsburg," which is actually Bushwick and/or Bedford-Stuyvesant (where you probably will not want to live).

Good luck to all, and see you in August/September/whenever.
Comrade, I deposited Monday and also wept accordingly at the thought of my 50 year old self making loan payments...

I also feel it only appropriate to acknowledge that you're entirely right. There is, in fact, no Greenville in BK...it's in Jersey City and a mistake I frequently make. I have a friend who lives on Manhattan, like two blocks from McCarren Park and swear I've made it to the L in less than ten minutes. In all honesty, though, I've been totally drunk every time so I won't fight you on it :D

In any case, it doesn't much matter in the grand scheme. I just look forward to meeting you and everyone else come August.

Best wishes for excellent summers all around!!!

Edit: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75303873855

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:51 pm

JPetrella18 wrote:
Comrade, I deposited Monday and also wept accordingly at the thought of my 50 year old self making loan payments...

I also feel it only appropriate to acknowledge that you're entirely right. There is, in fact, no Greenville in BK...it's in Jersey City and a mistake I frequently make. I have a friend who lives on Manhattan, like two blocks from McCarren Park and swear I've made it to the L in less than ten minutes. In all honesty, though, I've been totally drunk every time so I won't fight you on it :D

In any case, it doesn't much matter in the grand scheme. I just look forward to meeting you and everyone else come August.

Well, we shall all be weeping together, soon, hooray! In the meantime, is anyone going to Dean Rudenstine's fancy damn party on the 13th?

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Comrade 72 wrote:
JPetrella18 wrote:

Well, we shall all be weeping together, soon, hooray! In the meantime, is anyone going to Dean Rudenstine's fancy damn party on the 13th?
Damn, why don't I get invited to these things?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:29 pm

fluffy wrote:
Comrade 72 wrote:
JPetrella18 wrote:

Damn, why don't I get invited to these things?
Did you deposit?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 pm

ouch. no 1k down, no invites with the dean?

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:34 pm

deadatheist wrote:ouch. no 1k down, no invites with the dean?
A mere .4K in my case. My gut instinct tells me to try to recoup that money by drinking ~$400's worth at the Dean's, but this might be one of the rare moments in my life in which gut instinct won't be allowed to hold sway.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Comrade 72 wrote:
deadatheist wrote:ouch. no 1k down, no invites with the dean?
A mere .4K in my case. My gut instinct tells me to try to recoup that money by drinking ~$400's worth at the Dean's, but this might be one of the rare moments in my life in which gut instinct won't be allowed to hold sway.
Hmm... I was going to give .5. Maybe they would fly me out to nyc for this event. That should make up for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cruzansweetie

New

Post by Cruzansweetie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 pm

I'm thinking of going to the cocktail party. I graduate on the 9th so it will be kinda of surreal to move from one element to the next.

billionaire boy

New

Post by billionaire boy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:37 pm

how many seats in the May program? .. ps Hoboken is the shit

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:42 pm

Just admitted off the hold list for Fall. In shock.

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:20 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Just admitted off the hold list for Fall. In shock.
congrats? haha. no really, congrats.

i was out and just got a notice from BLS that im in for fall ft. my response was "damn it!!" (bc i'm kind of over thinking about all of this).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:28 pm

YAY! Fuck dirty ole Fordham!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:49 am

fluffy wrote:
Fluffy, no! I love you, and I am excited, but no!

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:52 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
fluffy wrote:
Fluffy, no! I love you, and I am excited, but no!

It's ok. I said it, you didn't. Everything will be okay (promise)

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:02 am

You cannot toy with my emotions like this. I am off to see if my roommate has any klonopin left.

kidding. drugs are bad.

I am very, very happy... but my long cherished wish remains the same.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:11 am

have you given up on Hastings? Or am I wayyy late here?

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:31 pm

What up yall. Admitted yesterday from hold list. I think Cardozo just went to the top of the heap...

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:44 pm

kow613 wrote:What up yall. Admitted yesterday from hold list. I think Cardozo just went to the top of the heap...
Congratulations! Now come!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:49 pm

fluffy wrote:have you given up on Hastings? Or am I wayyy late here?
No, I have not given up. Muddy thinks I might still get in! I am going to wait, and see what comes to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”