UNC 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby thesouthside » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:47 am

UNC Law representation on this forum is extremely weak. Next year we are going to have to do something about this.

As for where to live. A friend of mine lived in an apartment complex in Durham a few miles away form campus. It was dominion something. I tried to google it and couldn't find it, sorry. I know it is off of Farrington Rd. They were nice apartments, relatively inexpensive, quite area, about a mile away from a few shopping centers, bus accessible, and close to campus. I am leaning towards renting here and will post the name asap, unless someone beats me too it.

I was also considering buying something. My mom bought the townhouse I currently live in for UG. We are renting it next year. Even in the current real estate market college towns seem like a relatively safe bet. Haven't really discussed doing this for law school so who knows.
Last edited by thesouthside on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockrrchk09
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby rockrrchk09 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:49 am

sweetcharade20 wrote:I just got accepted about a week and a half ago after an awesome visit. Enrolling in dual degree with social work, so likely going into some sort of juvi/family/adoption law, but no strings attached for social work school so I can change my mind at any time.

Anyone else on here out-of-stater?!?

Oh, and living with boyfriend who is enrolling at Duke for engineering/business grad degree ... coming down in May to see apts! Any suggestions for affordable stuff b/c the two rivals?


I'd encourage you to think of commuting via the Robertson bus, its FREE, convenient, and that way you don't have to live in the suburbs and drive in all the time. I ride my bike to Duke west campus and commute over that way.

misssle
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby misssle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:55 am

So excited about going to UNC. Haven't figured out my living situation, but it will be either Carrboro or Durham since those are the least expensive. I'm also thinking about living in Raleigh and doing the Park and Ride thing. We'll see.

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby thesouthside » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:57 am

misssle wrote:So excited about going to UNC. Haven't figured out my living situation, but it will be either Carrboro or Durham since those are the least expensive. I'm also thinking about living in Raleigh and doing the Park and Ride thing. We'll see.


I live in Raleigh right now... DON'T DO IT... I-40 constantly has accidents in the morning that back up traffic for HOURS!

misssle
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby misssle » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:01 pm

thesouthside wrote:
misssle wrote:So excited about going to UNC. Haven't figured out my living situation, but it will be either Carrboro or Durham since those are the least expensive. I'm also thinking about living in Raleigh and doing the Park and Ride thing. We'll see.


I live in Raleigh right now... DON'T DO IT... I-40 constantly has accidents in the morning that back up traffic for HOURS!


Yeah I currently live in Raleigh, and that is one of the things I worry about with the commute. I never really travel on I-40 in the mornings, but I hear about the accidents all the time. So it will be a last resort if I don't find anything affordable in Carroboro or Durham.

aed9
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:06 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby aed9 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 pm

thesouthside wrote:A friend of mine lived in an apartment complex in Durham a few miles away form campus. It was dominion something. I tried to google it and couldn't find it, sorry. I know it is off of Farrington Rd. They were nice apartments, relatively inexpensive, quite area, about a mile away from a few shopping centers, bus accessible, and close to campus. I am leaning towards renting here and will post the name asap, unless someone beats me too it.


?? I've lived in Durham for 6 years, and I've never run across that apartment complex. There are several with "Dominion" in the name in Raleigh, though. I live in a condo by Durham Regional Hospital, so while it's a commute and I can't use the Robertson's bus, I plan on staying here for at least the first year. Like I said before, if you want cheap (in terms of both an apartment and buying some property), this is likely your best bet. There is a new complex called The Loft on Erwin that looks beautiful, though. I'm not sure how many UGs live there, but I'd advise you to avoid The Belmont and Partners Place for that reason.

Oh, and I definitely agree with misssle on Raleigh. I DON'T advise it. I work in Raleigh, and there is always an accident or traffic tie-up of some sort.

sweetcharade20
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby sweetcharade20 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for all the help and advice! I'm so excited for the move.

A friend of mine is actually thinking about buying down in CH and then renting it to us ... a weird situation, but she is going to be auditing overseas and needs a home base. I've been looking with her and it seems like a fantastic time to buy. If we weren't both going to school, we'd probably do the same.

User avatar
UNC2009
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby UNC2009 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:02 am

I'm even more proud to be a Tarheel going to UNC School of Law after tonight's NCAA Championship win!! Go HEELS!

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby thesouthside » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:42 am

aed9 wrote:
thesouthside wrote:A friend of mine lived in an apartment complex in Durham a few miles away form campus. It was dominion something. I tried to google it and couldn't find it, sorry. I know it is off of Farrington Rd. They were nice apartments, relatively inexpensive, quite area, about a mile away from a few shopping centers, bus accessible, and close to campus. I am leaning towards renting here and will post the name asap, unless someone beats me too it.


?? I've lived in Durham for 6 years, and I've never run across that apartment complex. There are several with "Dominion" in the name in Raleigh, though. I live in a condo by Durham Regional Hospital, so while it's a commute and I can't use the Robertson's bus, I plan on staying here for at least the first year. Like I said before, if you want cheap (in terms of both an apartment and buying some property), this is likely your best bet. There is a new complex called The Loft on Erwin that looks beautiful, though. I'm not sure how many UGs live there, but I'd advise you to avoid The Belmont and Partners Place for that reason.

Oh, and I definitely agree with misssle on Raleigh. I DON'T advise it. I work in Raleigh, and there is always an accident or traffic tie-up of some sort.


WOW, 6 years?! Well I'll be! That so surprising considering its such a small town with so few apartment complexes.... :mrgreen: :wink:

There is only one Farrington Rd and only one apartment complex on that road with "Dominion" in the name.

If you are at the intersection of Garret and Old Chapel Hill make a left on OCH towards CH. At the next light make a right on to Farrington. Go down past the back entrance to Githens and on your right is the apartment complex, right before the Kroger shopping complex... At the end of the road it turns into 15-501, to the left is 40 and a walmart shopping center, ect. It is literally 5 minutes from campus.

anyway...

GO HEELS!

What a game!

TheDreamKeeper
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby TheDreamKeeper » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:22 pm

You guys have room for one more?

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to take my last visit because I've wanted to attend UNC for my entire life. This is my chance.

minx
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby minx » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi! I'm new to the forum, but am going to UNC next year! I'm looking for housing as well... Durham or Chapel Hill area is great for me... anyone need a roommate? How else do people go about finding roommates and housing?

User avatar
daddymike
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby daddymike » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:19 pm

I wanna be a Tarheel so bad.
WL at the moment but I'll take it... better than nothing.
Hope to be part of this group pretty soon!

fRoTtMaN
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby fRoTtMaN » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Anyone else on here not overly impressed with their Admissions staff? I've found them to be pretty slow at response and relatively out-of-touch with how one would expect and Admissions staff to be. Others at the University have seemed pretty friendly, but it is the only such office I have communicated with and visited where I felt like I was putting them out by asking questions. Everywhere else has been more than welcoming, even places I didn't get into.

I know one shouldn't choose based upon the folks in the admissions office, but still, it's not leaving a very good taste in my mouth about choosing UNC.

LawSchoolRocks
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby LawSchoolRocks » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:17 pm

It'll be interesting to see UNC's new US News ranking.

jerzgrl630
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 pm

fRoTtMaN wrote:Anyone else on here not overly impressed with their Admissions staff? I've found them to be pretty slow at response and relatively out-of-touch with how one would expect and Admissions staff to be. Others at the University have seemed pretty friendly, but it is the only such office I have communicated with and visited where I felt like I was putting them out by asking questions. Everywhere else has been more than welcoming, even places I didn't get into.

I know one shouldn't choose based upon the folks in the admissions office, but still, it's not leaving a very good taste in my mouth about choosing UNC.


Interesting observation, I noticed the same thing. I am not applying until the next cycle but I visited the school recently (my boyfriend will be moving with me when I go to law school so we were on a "fact finding mission" to see how living in North Carolina would be). I scheduled an appointment well in advance and never heard from them again. When I inquired about when I was supposed to arrive, I was told that it was too close to the end of the semester and no one was willing to give me a tour. The person was very abrasive and I kind of felt like if it was going to be so difficult for them to give me a tour they could have told me much sooner. I had to travel a decent distance to get there and I took off work.

Either way, I was eventually given a very nice tour but I was told very last minute about it. UNC is a definite first choice but their admissions office does seem unfriendly. I'm an out of stater with decent numbers but nothing stellar so I'm pretty much out of the running already. Good luck to all of you waiting on decisions and I hope that those of you who are Chapel Hill bound in the fall have a great time. Hopefully I will see you there one day :)

misssle
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby misssle » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Sent in my deposit last week and received a confirmation email today, making it even more real. I'm so excited!

User avatar
UNC2009
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby UNC2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 pm

misssle wrote:Sent in my deposit last week and received a confirmation email today, making it even more real. I'm so excited!


You received an email confirmation for receipt of your seat deposit? I paid mine in person and haven't received anything. Did they tell you how to create your online account (email, ONYEN, etc.)?

misssle
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby misssle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 am

UNC2009 wrote:
misssle wrote:Sent in my deposit last week and received a confirmation email today, making it even more real. I'm so excited!


You received an email confirmation for receipt of your seat deposit? I paid mine in person and haven't received anything. Did they tell you how to create your online account (email, ONYEN, etc.)?


No it was really just a thanks for sending in the deposit and don't forget the second deposit is due June 15. No info about the ONYEN or email.

Did you give them your enrollment card as well? Seems that was a big deal at the ASD.

User avatar
UNC2009
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby UNC2009 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:51 pm

misssle wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:
misssle wrote:Sent in my deposit last week and received a confirmation email today, making it even more real. I'm so excited!


You received an email confirmation for receipt of your seat deposit? I paid mine in person and haven't received anything. Did they tell you how to create your online account (email, ONYEN, etc.)?


No it was really just a thanks for sending in the deposit and don't forget the second deposit is due June 15. No info about the ONYEN or email.

Did you give them your enrollment card as well? Seems that was a big deal at the ASD.


Yes, I did give them my enrollment card.

misssle
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby misssle » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:07 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
misssle wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:
misssle wrote:Sent in my deposit last week and received a confirmation email today, making it even more real. I'm so excited!


You received an email confirmation for receipt of your seat deposit? I paid mine in person and haven't received anything. Did they tell you how to create your online account (email, ONYEN, etc.)?


No it was really just a thanks for sending in the deposit and don't forget the second deposit is due June 15. No info about the ONYEN or email.

Did you give them your enrollment card as well? Seems that was a big deal at the ASD.


Yes, I did give them my enrollment card.



I guess they are sending them out randomly. But it didn't any important info. There is a facebook group though for UNC 2012

User avatar
scaredstiff165
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby scaredstiff165 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:13 pm

sweetcharade20 wrote:I just got accepted about a week and a half ago after an awesome visit. Enrolling in dual degree with social work, so likely going into some sort of juvi/family/adoption law, but no strings attached for social work school so I can change my mind at any time.

Anyone else on here out-of-stater?!?

Oh, and living with boyfriend who is enrolling at Duke for engineering/business grad degree ... coming down in May to see apts! Any suggestions for affordable stuff b/c the two rivals?


I think The Verge is pretty nice. It's between both schools and has all utilities included. There's also a free shuttle that takes you to UNC/picks you up everyday. I think it drops off pretty close to the law school actually.

--LinkRemoved--

Mr. Guppy
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby Mr. Guppy » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:00 pm

misssle wrote:
I guess they are sending them out randomly. But it didn't any important info. There is a facebook group though for UNC 2012


I got the email yesterday as well.

sweetcharade20
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby sweetcharade20 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:14 pm

scaredstiff165 wrote:
sweetcharade20 wrote:I just got accepted about a week and a half ago after an awesome visit. Enrolling in dual degree with social work, so likely going into some sort of juvi/family/adoption law, but no strings attached for social work school so I can change my mind at any time.

Anyone else on here out-of-stater?!?

Oh, and living with boyfriend who is enrolling at Duke for engineering/business grad degree ... coming down in May to see apts! Any suggestions for affordable stuff b/c the two rivals?


I think The Verge is pretty nice. It's between both schools and has all utilities included. There's also a free shuttle that takes you to UNC/picks you up everyday. I think it drops off pretty close to the law school actually.

--LinkRemoved--



Thanks for the help! We are coming down in about 2 weeks to check out some places ... may be too early to actually sign a lease, but we have to be there for a graduation so I figure we can at least find complexes we like and do the rest from Boston. Are complexes ok with 15th of the month leases, or is it usually just first of the month?

User avatar
thesouthside
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby thesouthside » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:46 am

Quite the jump 8)

sweetcharade20
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: UNC 2012

Postby sweetcharade20 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:35 pm

thesouthside wrote:Quite the jump 8)


That is a beautiful +8




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest