UNC 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
kpillai

New

Re: UNC 2012

Post by kpillai » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:30 am

If anyone is interested in pursuing an elusive on-campus parking spot, check out this story. http://www.dailytarheel.com/news/univer ... -1.1727011

Sign up is in June. I'm guessing you would have to have a Student Central account by then though.

jame

New

Post by jame » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 am

If anyone is still looking for housing, my roommate and I are seeking a 3rd person for our house. I'll be a 1L in the fall and she works at the law school. We live <1.5 away in a cute little neighborhood off Franklin (Davie Circle, google map it!)

Send me a message for more info!

misssle

New

Post by misssle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:27 pm

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:33 pm

If you're living far enough from campus that no bus will pick you up you can get easily get a parking spot at the Friday Center. It's not too far from the law school (about a mile) and there's a free bus (all buses in Chapel Hill are free) that comes very often in the morning and afternoons/evenings and drops you off right in front of the law school!

misssle

New

Post by misssle » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:47 pm

scaredstiff165 wrote:If you're living far enough from campus that no bus will pick you up you can get easily get a parking spot at the Friday Center. It's not too far from the law school (about a mile) and there's a free bus (all buses in Chapel Hill are free) that comes very often in the morning and afternoons/evenings and drops you off right in front of the law school!
How do you get the pass? I've been looking and can't seem to find the info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:53 pm

misssle wrote:
scaredstiff165 wrote:If you're living far enough from campus that no bus will pick you up you can get easily get a parking spot at the Friday Center. It's not too far from the law school (about a mile) and there's a free bus (all buses in Chapel Hill are free) that comes very often in the morning and afternoons/evenings and drops you off right in front of the law school!
How do you get the pass? I've been looking and can't seem to find the info.
local (919) 962-3000
Call that number and ask about parking passes.

el_jugador

New

Post by el_jugador » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:38 pm

Does anyone know which apartment complexes cater to grad students? A complex was mentioned at ASW that was 21 and up but I cant remember the name.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:11 pm

el_jugador wrote:Does anyone know which apartment complexes cater to grad students? A complex was mentioned at ASW that was 21 and up but I cant remember the name.
I know a lot of grad students live at Glen Lennox.

Epicarrion

New

Post by Epicarrion » Fri May 01, 2009 12:12 am

Has anyone taken care of the Immunization requirement yet? I attempted to follow their instructions by logging into --LinkRemoved-- using my SSN but I don't see the icon for "Immunization and Medical History." Anybody else try to handle this yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Fri May 01, 2009 12:23 am

Epicarrion wrote:Has anyone taken care of the Immunization requirement yet? I attempted to follow their instructions by logging into --LinkRemoved-- using my SSN but I don't see the icon for "Immunization and Medical History." Anybody else try to handle this yet?
I tried it too. I emailed them to tell them I couldn't see the icon. They said it will be available once they activate us in the system (after the law school processes our deposits.)

Epicarrion

New

Post by Epicarrion » Fri May 01, 2009 7:04 am

UNC2009 wrote:
Epicarrion wrote:Has anyone taken care of the Immunization requirement yet? I attempted to follow their instructions by logging into --LinkRemoved-- using my SSN but I don't see the icon for "Immunization and Medical History." Anybody else try to handle this yet?
I tried it too. I emailed them to tell them I couldn't see the icon. They said it will be available once they activate us in the system (after the law school processes our deposits.)
Now I feel less crazy. Thanks!

DeseoQueSea

New

Post by DeseoQueSea » Fri May 01, 2009 10:51 am

Can anyone recommend a good resource for finding housing near the UNC campus? I definitely want to live near other law students (but I don't really want a roommate). Aside from Craigslist, any suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: I just found this online, http://www.ibiblio.org/sg/ocha/housinglist.html

FSUSpot

New

Post by FSUSpot » Wed May 06, 2009 12:48 pm

So I thought I read somewhere that we are suppose to receive our campus login the first week in May, which would be this one. Does anyone know if that is the case or has received theirs?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

misssle

New

Post by misssle » Wed May 06, 2009 1:39 pm

FSUSpot wrote:So I thought I read somewhere that we are suppose to receive our campus login the first week in May, which would be this one. Does anyone know if that is the case or has received theirs?
I thought so as well. But I haven't received anything. Since the immunization thing is due on May 15, I guess they will send it soon.

wquick324

New

Post by wquick324 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:17 pm

So I know parking a car near campus seems to be something 1Ls won't enjoy but does anyone know if there is motorcyle parking near the law building?

akp82

New

Post by akp82 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:36 pm

misssle wrote:
FSUSpot wrote:So I thought I read somewhere that we are suppose to receive our campus login the first week in May, which would be this one. Does anyone know if that is the case or has received theirs?
I thought so as well. But I haven't received anything. Since the immunization thing is due on May 15, I guess they will send it soon.

I just spoke with Campus Health Services and many of the law school students are having the same problems. She said we do not have to worry as the May 15th deadline is just the first deadline and we have plenty of time to submit our medical history.

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Thu May 21, 2009 5:42 pm

I just got back from apartment hunting. I found the map dresq posted to be extremely helpful. Here it is again.
--LinkRemoved--

I visited/toured the following places (*denotes that I toured a unit there):
Stratford Hills - shitty on outside, but next to a really posh fucking neighborhood.
Glen Lennox - nice neighborhood, old-ish looking units. Leasing staff MIA. I believe -- but don't hold me to this -- there are no washer/dryer connections in the 1-bedrooms.
Colonial Village - looked nice outside. I currently live in a complex owned by the same company.
Rock Creek* - a little older but still pretty good price-to-quality ratio.
Bridges at Chapel Hill - older, slightly ramshackle looking. Seemed to be more for undergrads, but I could be wrong. Forest-y ambiance.
Poplar Place - nice-but-generic looking. Burger King nearby.
Timber Hollow* - OK, but very cramped inside. Thin walls. But man oh man, was the leasing agent cute. I so wanted to get her number, but she was wearing what looked like an engagement ring.
Sun Stone* (not on the list, but on Franklin Street) - Generic and older, but sturdier and roomier than TH. Mountainous speed bumps throughout the property.
Finley Forest* (individually owned condos and townhouses, but many are rentals, off Barbee Chapel Road, close to the Friday Center. I really wanted to sign a lease on one but I'd have to get a roommate to afford it. And at this point in my life, I feel like I've earned the right not to have to deal with roommates.)

I started to write more detailed reviews for each, but decided that would take too much fucking time. If anyone has questions about any of them, please post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Thu May 21, 2009 5:43 pm

wquick324 wrote:So I know parking a car near campus seems to be something 1Ls won't enjoy but does anyone know if there is motorcyle parking near the law building?
I didn't see any. It seems that UNC is a bus-riding school. You ride for free, though, and the buses lines are numerous and the stops frequent.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:55 pm

stab master arson wrote:
wquick324 wrote:So I know parking a car near campus seems to be something 1Ls won't enjoy but does anyone know if there is motorcyle parking near the law building?
I didn't see any. It seems that UNC is a bus-riding school. You ride for free, though, and the buses lines are numerous and the stops frequent.
"Frequent stops" is a relative term. My only exposure to public buses has been in London. I've NEVER even ridden a bus in the United States. So I was hoping buses came every 5-10 minutes (like London). Today, I rode Chapel Hill Transit for the first time to campus to pay my final deposit. I must have barely missed one on my way back, because I had to wait 47 minutes for the next one. So compared to what I've been exposed to (London), not so frequent. Meh, I'll learn to live with it.

Mr. Guppy

New

Post by Mr. Guppy » Fri May 22, 2009 9:07 am

UNC2009 wrote:"Frequent stops" is a relative term. My only exposure to public buses has been in London. I've NEVER even ridden a bus in the United States. So I was hoping buses came every 5-10 minutes (like London). Today, I rode Chapel Hill Transit for the first time to campus to pay my final deposit. I must have barely missed one on my way back, because I had to wait 47 minutes for the next one. So compared to what I've been exposed to (London), not so frequent. Meh, I'll learn to live with it.
That's the advantage of Glen Lennox and some other places. There seem to be a fair amount of buses that go from there to the law school, which is a straight shot up Raleigh Rd. When finding a place to live, I'd highly suggest finding somewhere that's served by multiple bus routes that run often if possible. Of course, the schedules might change some in August. And for some reason, buses run less often around lunch.

tarheels19

New

Post by tarheels19 » Fri May 22, 2009 1:56 pm

stab master arson wrote:I just got back from apartment hunting. I found the map dresq posted to be extremely helpful. Here it is again.
--LinkRemoved--

I visited/toured the following places (*denotes that I toured a unit there):
Stratford Hills - shitty on outside, but next to a really posh fucking neighborhood.
Glen Lennox - nice neighborhood, old-ish looking units. Leasing staff MIA. I believe -- but don't hold me to this -- there are no washer/dryer connections in the 1-bedrooms.
Colonial Village - looked nice outside. I currently live in a complex owned by the same company.
Rock Creek* - a little older but still pretty good price-to-quality ratio.
Bridges at Chapel Hill - older, slightly ramshackle looking. Seemed to be more for undergrads, but I could be wrong. Forest-y ambiance.
Poplar Place - nice-but-generic looking. Burger King nearby.
Timber Hollow* - OK, but very cramped inside. Thin walls. But man oh man, was the leasing agent cute. I so wanted to get her number, but she was wearing what looked like an engagement ring.
Sun Stone* (not on the list, but on Franklin Street) - Generic and older, but sturdier and roomier than TH. Mountainous speed bumps throughout the property.
Finley Forest* (individually owned condos and townhouses, but many are rentals, off Barbee Chapel Road, close to the Friday Center. I really wanted to sign a lease on one but I'd have to get a roommate to afford it. And at this point in my life, I feel like I've earned the right not to have to deal with roommates.)

I started to write more detailed reviews for each, but decided that would take too much fucking time. If anyone has questions about any of them, please post.

won't be at UNC for law.. but i'm a recent alumnus.. all of those places listed are shitty for the most part.. i'd look elsewhere

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Fri May 22, 2009 2:28 pm

tarheels19 wrote:won't be at UNC for law.. but i'm a recent alumnus.. all of those places listed are shitty for the most part.. i'd look elsewhere
Isn't that list most of the apartments under $1000 per month in Orange County? I spent two full days driving around, and while there a few I didn't mention on that list, most of those were too ramshackle-looking for me to even stop by the manager's office. What are some places that are better?

stab master arson

Bronze

Post by stab master arson » Fri May 22, 2009 2:40 pm

UNC2009 wrote:"Frequent stops" is a relative term. My only exposure to public buses has been in London. I've NEVER even ridden a bus in the United States. So I was hoping buses came every 5-10 minutes (like London). Today, I rode Chapel Hill Transit for the first time to campus to pay my final deposit. I must have barely missed one on my way back, because I had to wait 47 minutes for the next one. So compared to what I've been exposed to (London), not so frequent. Meh, I'll learn to live with it.
I'd say 15 to 20 minutes between buses is "frequent" enough. Some of the lines apparently do drastically reduce their frequency during mid-day but resume by mid-afternoon; others remain fairly consistent. Check the schedules (LinkRemoved). Do what that other guy suggested and pick a place that's on several routes, and you'll be fine.

I don't like bus-riding either, mainly because you become a slave to the schedule. But from what I've heard, there aren't many palatable alternatives at UNC (hello circling the parking lot for 20 minutes!), other than riding a bicycle.

tarheels19

New

Post by tarheels19 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:45 pm

stab master arson wrote:
tarheels19 wrote:won't be at UNC for law.. but i'm a recent alumnus.. all of those places listed are shitty for the most part.. i'd look elsewhere
Isn't that list most of the apartments under $1000 per month in Orange County? I spent two full days driving around, and while there a few I didn't mention on that list, most of those were too ramshackle-looking for me to even stop by the manager's office. What are some places that are better?
apartments at meadowmont/ alta springs/ farrington lake/ camden governors village/ southern village/etc... all are more expensive but still under 1000 per month for 1 bedrooms.. and probably around 1100-1200 for 2 bedrooms.. offer significantly better living arrangements and are all relatively close

tarheels19

New

Post by tarheels19 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 pm

the better ones of those that you listed... finley forest, colonial village, bridges...thats in terms of apartments only, not necessariyl location.. there are plenty of other options that you just arent finding... plenty of townhomes and condos for sale for those trying to set up in chapel hill, also numerous duplexes and other housing available in carborro that just aren't listed online

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”