University of Miami 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
midrangejumper

Bronze

University of Miami 2012

Post by midrangejumper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:27 pm

like 90% sure im going here, so just wanted to say hello 8)

SEAT DEPOSIT
$300, $100 non refundable

if your deposit check is received in the officer after april 15th deadline, it will be accepted on a space available basis only if it was postmarked prior to april 6th

(im most likely going to pay online cause you can that way too) :P
Last edited by midrangejumper on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildcats12

New

Re: University of Miami 2012

Post by wildcats12 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:29 pm

where is everyone living at? im looking for a place in brickell...

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:31 pm

i dont know im going to fill out the roommate request form and just see what happens, but i do have a friend from my undergrad going to miami too so im not sure what im doing yet.

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm

I'm going to fill out the roommate request form also, but still deciding if I want to take on an extra $180K in debt. :shock:
If I do end up at UM, I'll be looking for someplace within walking distance.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:55 pm

nightlight wrote:I'm going to fill out the roommate request form also, but still deciding if I want to take on an extra $180K in debt. :shock:
If I do end up at UM, I'll be looking for someplace within walking distance.
ya, the debt is going to be brutal. however it's either that, or go to a low t3 school for $. id rather take the debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blackacre

New

Post by blackacre » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi congrats to all who have been accepted... Might I pry into your numbers? :lol:

I applied really late in the cycle but they ended up sending me a fee waiver so I threw in my hat.

what does everyone hear about the job prospects after Miami Law? It is the third best school in a state with limited desirable locations to practice. The profile on this website makes Miami seem like a horrible decision, but I feel like the "branding" of the school could do you well. But has anyone else heard anything else about the employment prospects and the types of employment.

Also, how long and in what manner did everyone hear about their decision? Did anyone hear by phone call? Were all your decisions communicated to you through snail mail?

Thanks in advance for all your insight!

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:37 pm

add me to the list. I'll be living at the Red Road Commons (brand new apt complex) within walking distance of the law school. I decided against living as far as Brickell or SoBe just because of the added commute and traffic. I'm just not a morning person. Also the complex will have a shuttle stop on the shuttle route. If you want to drive, it's less than a mile. So excited.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:53 pm

baileyxx wrote:add me to the list. I'll be living at the Red Road Commons (brand new apt complex) within walking distance of the law school. I decided against living as far as Brickell or SoBe just because of the added commute and traffic. I'm just not a morning person. Also the complex will have a shuttle stop on the shuttle route. If you want to drive, it's less than a mile. So excited.
How are the prices in Red Road Commons? I think I remember hearing pretty high for studio/1brs.

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Miami's getting my deposit too. Unless I get off a WL somewhere cheaper, I'll be there next year.

I'm going to fill out a roommate form too. I am going to try my damnedest to live in Coconut Grove. There's a Hurry Cane shuttle to/from campus there. However, if I can't find something reasonably priced, I'll have to abandon that idea.

I'm going to scan in that apartment guide thing that we got - anyone that wasn't there & wants it, shoot me your email address & I'll send it to you on Monday.
blackacre wrote:Hi congrats to all who have been accepted... Might I pry into your numbers? :lol:

I applied really late in the cycle but they ended up sending me a fee waiver so I threw in my hat.

what does everyone hear about the job prospects after Miami Law? It is the third best school in a state with limited desirable locations to practice. The profile on this website makes Miami seem like a horrible decision, but I feel like the "branding" of the school could do you well. But has anyone else heard anything else about the employment prospects and the types of employment.

Also, how long and in what manner did everyone hear about their decision? Did anyone hear by phone call? Were all your decisions communicated to you through snail mail?

Most people logged onto my UM and saw the acceptance. I think an email/snail mail followed. Not sure anyone was called.

Job prospects = good. You can go on the ASW thread & check out what we wrote about alumni. The TLS profile is not accurate. I disagree with everything negative on there (except the cost, of course!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Here's the relocation guide from 2008. --LinkRemoved--
Not much has changed (Red Road Commons isn't in the 2008 version). They said they'd have the 2009 online, but it appears that they dont but I'm sure you can send an email to the admissions office and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to send it your way.

As far as pricing, 2br/2ba were $1540 however 1br/1ba were just over $1400 which is definitely steep. The prices are going up every week, and the units are renting out VERY quickly. When I was there I know of 7 apartments that got rented within that hour alone. There's approximately 400 units. The first will be complete in May and the latest in September. However, the earlier you move in, the cheaper. The 1540 was for a june move in as was the 1400. I know the 2brs went up to 1680 for July move ins. The move in date correlates to where/what building you'll be in.

The parking is all covered, in a garage with floor to ceiling iron gates. Your keycard will get you into that and into your own building and your floor, but not any others. Just another security measure I really liked. Oh another downfall, if you get a 2br, you only get 1 parking spot and the additional parking spot is 125 a month. They are pet friendly, 400 pet fee plus 25/month pet rent.

A few more pluses: FREE wi-fi EVERYWHERE, including your apartment. And washer and dryer included in every unit.

The top places law students live (mostly 1Ls) are Valencia, Gables Court, and now Red Road Commons

The students warned against living in Brickell or too far from campus, just because of the commute factor. They said the people who live close to campus nap and sleep in on their beds while the people who live far away sleep on their books in the library.

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:48 pm

One of the complexes in the 2008 book is being torn down too. Don't know which one, but it was popular & close.

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:35 pm

anyone pay their deposit online?

ResIpsaLoquitur

New

Post by ResIpsaLoquitur » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:57 pm

blackacre wrote:Hi congrats to all who have been accepted... Might I pry into your numbers? :lol:

158 3.2
I recently withdrew, it was one of the hardest decisions of my life. I loved that place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

baileyxx

New

Post by baileyxx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Where did you decide to go instead?

and yes, I paid the deposit online

ResIpsaLoquitur

New

Post by ResIpsaLoquitur » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:13 pm

I chose Brooklyn Law School

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:48 am

$7 fee to pay online?!?! what the hell. it's going as a check then lol.

bigred87

New

Post by bigred87 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:58 am

I'm probably going to be sending my deposit in to miami within the next week or two. Still weighing my options and considering one or two schools in NY, since not sure if I'm ready to leave the northeast, but unless I get off a certain waitlist, Miami it is. As far as roomates, I like living with people and don't like being alone, so probably gonna fill out the roomate form and look for a roomate or two.

162 3.4

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

midrangejumper

Bronze

Post by midrangejumper » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:29 pm

did everyone get the financial aid info email? i was confused how to see how much i got but then i finally figured it out.

minx

New

Post by minx » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi! I'm 90% sure I'm going to Miami too... the only thing slowing me down is the cost... how are you all paying for it?? It's either Mia or staying local in ny and i don't want to do that. I received loans but with our economy the way it is (and who knows what the job market will be like in 3 years) I'm getting stressed. ha.

I'm also filling out a roommate form and hoping for the best. I like living with people and will be pretty content anywhere.

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:06 pm

The alumni & the Miami market are keeping me hopeful! And I'm planning on living cheaply so I don't have to take out private loans. I'm also going to apply for every scholarship on the face of the earth after my first year!!!

Like my dad said: "They won't take you out back and shoot you if you can't make your full loan payment." You can always get them lowered (just don't skip them or pay them late, of course!)

I've always been an optimistic person though. :)

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:41 am

Thanks for posting that 2008 guide.

Geeze, glad to know the whole housing crises hasn't affected Miami apartments. I mean just looking by their own guide, the average is $1400. Which is about $300 more then they factor into their "room and board" for loans.

When does everyone predict they will secure their housing by and where? Coral Cables, Kendell, downtown?

Guess i better start checking out the area.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:38 am

ShadowRabbit wrote:Thanks for posting that 2008 guide.

Geeze, glad to know the whole housing crises hasn't affected Miami apartments. I mean just looking by their own guide, the average is $1400. Which is about $300 more then they factor into their "room and board" for loans.

When does everyone predict they will secure their housing by and where? Coral Cables, Kendell, downtown?

Guess i better start checking out the area.
You can get a two or three bedroom for $600-$900 a person. Also, a lot of those prices include utilities. One thing they did say to watch out for is that some apartment complexes only include one parking spot per apartment & you have to pay extra per month for each additional parking space. It was my understanding to stay away from Kendall your first year because you will be driving with the 8 am rush hour traffic to get to your classes.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:43 am

8am? No one said I had to be up at 8am for law school! I demand a refund.

I actually think i'm gonna bite the bullet and not get a roommate. I'm gonna be so in debt either way, that I might as well be in slightly more debt and not have to worry about getting the wrong roommate who likes to be up late & party.

kellbell

New

Post by kellbell » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:51 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:8am? No one said I had to be up at 8am for law school! I demand a refund.

I actually think i'm gonna bite the bullet and not get a roommate. I'm gonna be so in debt either way, that I might as well be in slightly more debt and not have to worry about getting the wrong roommate who likes to be up late & party.

Use their roommate-finder resource. There are a lot of us that don't want a roommate who's gonna stay up late & party on the weekdays. Your rent could double if you live by yourself - $21K extra by the time LS's over???

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:55 pm

Ya, still not gonna risk it. At least for 1L i'm going to live by myself. Maybe 2l and 3l that will change, maybe my gf will follow me over, who knows. 1L I need quiet, peace, and some alone time. I've did roomates in college, and they were good, but I'm 28, going to be 29 in October, and I'm past the point in my life where I have the desire to write my name on my gallon of milk.

Still I can't imagine that the whole housing crises hasn't affected the apartments in Miami some what. I live about 100 miles away (west coast of fl) and apartment prices, like real estate, is dropping like a rock. I know people whose landlords are dropping their rent DURING their lease, without even requesting it. Maybe Miami has somehow bubbled off from this, but I doubt it.

Just saying the prices on apartment.com and what not, multiple places asking $1400 for a 1 bed room in coral gables, utilities included or not. I dont care what they are asking on apartments.com, no one is paying $1400 for a 1 bedroom anywhere. $1400 = what a $200,000 mortgage payment is, and I promise you, you can get one heck of a house in south florida for $200,000 right now.

I'll report back when I actually swing over there this month, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna come back saying those apartment prices outside the ones right across the street from UM are inflated.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”