Florida State University Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
ame05d
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 am

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby ame05d » Fri May 01, 2009 12:22 am

just got my phone call today!! :)

User avatar
TKM
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby TKM » Fri May 01, 2009 8:20 am

ame05d wrote:just got my phone call today!! :)


CONGRATS!

kevinm
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby kevinm » Sun May 03, 2009 2:03 am

90% confident I'll be here in the fall! Still waiting for some waitlist action, as well, but after visiting the campus a few months ago during a driving tour (I unfortunately visited during spring break!), I liked it.

Question for all of you who've already visited: what are the classrooms and stuff like?

User avatar
lrw05d
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby lrw05d » Mon May 04, 2009 8:49 pm

kevinm wrote:90% confident I'll be here in the fall! Still waiting for some waitlist action, as well, but after visiting the campus a few months ago during a driving tour (I unfortunately visited during spring break!), I liked it.

Question for all of you who've already visited: what are the classrooms and stuff like?


the school itself seems to have 2 parts..theres a 70's-esque part that needs a little reno, but its just dated, not falling apart. the other part has a really beautiful rotunda and a quad surrounded by little white houses (advocacy centers and such). the classrooms are all in pretty good condition (minus the yellow wall color which kind of makes me want to throw up a little...), and they all have power outlets built into the desks. the student lounge was just redone and its awesome- flat screen tvs and a starbucks. theres also the whole issue of moving into the old DCA (which is nice inside). i went here for undergrad and i love the campus, its pretty and really fun. see you in the fall!

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby AJaKe » Tue May 05, 2009 1:07 am

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby green918 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:38 am

AJaKe wrote:After posting here it looks like living with a roommate, or living with another law school student wouldn't be so bad.

Anyone having any luck finding housing? For finding roommates I think here has been the best resource for me thus far, since most of the people there seem to have townhomes they need a rent a room out of.


I found a place after much much scouring of craigslist. I didn't like most of the apartment complexes I toured on the east side of campus.

User avatar
TKM
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby TKM » Tue May 05, 2009 8:08 pm

green918 wrote:
AJaKe wrote:After posting here it looks like living with a roommate, or living with another law school student wouldn't be so bad.

Anyone having any luck finding housing? For finding roommates I think here has been the best resource for me thus far, since most of the people there seem to have townhomes they need a rent a room out of.


I found a place after much much scouring of craigslist. I didn't like most of the apartment complexes I toured on the east side of campus.


Did you choose to live with someone or by yourself.

lrw05d do you know anything about Villas of Westridge? How about the townhouses that are off Ocala on Continental Ave?

Also, does anyone know the chances of getting a paid internship during the summer (assuming you have good grades of course)?

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby green918 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:56 pm

TKM wrote:
green918 wrote:
AJaKe wrote:After posting here it looks like living with a roommate, or living with another law school student wouldn't be so bad.

Anyone having any luck finding housing? For finding roommates I think here has been the best resource for me thus far, since most of the people there seem to have townhomes they need a rent a room out of.


I found a place after much much scouring of craigslist. I didn't like most of the apartment complexes I toured on the east side of campus.


Did you choose to live with someone or by yourself.

lrw05d do you know anything about Villas of Westridge? How about the townhouses that are off Ocala on Continental Ave?

Also, does anyone know the chances of getting a paid internship during the summer (assuming you have good grades of course)?


By myself. I've lived with the same roommate for three years and I've known her since high school. I decided not to rock the boat with someone I don't know. Though, if I hadn't found a place soon, I probably would have looked into a roommate in hopes of making it easier to find something.

User avatar
lrw05d
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby lrw05d » Wed May 06, 2009 12:18 am

TKM wrote:
green918 wrote:
AJaKe wrote:After posting here it looks like living with a roommate, or living with another law school student wouldn't be so bad.

Anyone having any luck finding housing? For finding roommates I think here has been the best resource for me thus far, since most of the people there seem to have townhomes they need a rent a room out of.


I found a place after much much scouring of craigslist. I didn't like most of the apartment complexes I toured on the east side of campus.


Did you choose to live with someone or by yourself.

lrw05d do you know anything about Villas of Westridge? How about the townhouses that are off Ocala on Continental Ave?

Also, does anyone know the chances of getting a paid internship during the summer (assuming you have good grades of course)?


sorry, i havent heard of either of those complexes, ive lived in a house throughout UG so i dont have much exposure to the smaller complexes. there are a million apartments in tally though, youll find something! =)

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby green918 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 am

TKM wrote:
Did you choose to live with someone or by yourself.

lrw05d do you know anything about Villas of Westridge? How about the townhouses that are off Ocala on Continental Ave?

Also, does anyone know the chances of getting a paid internship during the summer (assuming you have good grades of course)?


If you're up for a roommate, I recall seeing a lot of houses for rent on the east side of campus though they're probably a bit more expensive because they're closer to downtown.

Tunafizzish
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby Tunafizzish » Wed May 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Ive stared looking at housing online and whatnot, but its kind of a pain seeing as I'm 1000 miles away. Anybody down there have any photos of apartment complexes, etc. The ones on the websites make them all seem like paradise, which I am guessing is too good to be true. Also, any recommendations? I don't mind spending more to have a nice, quiet, apartment. Thanks.

p.s. If you want to trade photos of apartment complexes for photos of cornfields, silos, and livestock, just let me know.

***note*** I am not a farmer, I just happen to be surrounded by them

you
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby you » Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm

I went to FSU for undergrad, and currently live in Tallahassee, so feel free to ask questions about specific apartment complexes or areas, etc. I might be able to help.

User avatar
TKM
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby TKM » Thu May 07, 2009 9:42 am

Thanks green and lrw.

78 days till my last day of work! AAHHH I can't wait.
Last edited by TKM on Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tbone101
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby tbone101 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:58 am

Tunafizzish wrote:Ive stared looking at housing online and whatnot, but its kind of a pain seeing as I'm 1000 miles away. Anybody down there have any photos of apartment complexes, etc. The ones on the websites make them all seem like paradise, which I am guessing is too good to be true. Also, any recommendations? I don't mind spending more to have a nice, quiet, apartment. Thanks.

p.s. If you want to trade photos of apartment complexes for photos of cornfields, silos, and livestock, just let me know.

***note*** I am not a farmer, I just happen to be surrounded by them


its most definitely not true. most are loud and in terrible parts of town.

i happen to know of a super nice, quiet place in an AWESOME part of town. actually, the nicest part of town. you can be to the law school in 10 minutes if you take my patented short cut. I've lived in these apartments for 3 years. After seeing virtually every apartment complex in Tally, and living in 2 others, i can assure you this is the best for a grad student.

its about half young families, a quarter single workers, and a quarter grad students. very, very quiet, no parties, its tucked away and feels isolated from the rest of town, but as i mentioned is in a great location in regards to restaurants, shopping, and campus. the management is great and in the 3 years I've lived here i only had one instance of a loud neighbor and it was because they were out of town and forgot to turn off their tv.

it's great to be able to go out with friends, party somewhere else if that is your thing, and then come home to a super quiet apartment.

Message me if you want more details, and once you get in to town I can give you a tour of about everything you need to know about Tally. Trust me, it took me over a year to figure out all these shortcuts and where the good stores and restaurants are, but once you know it it makes Tallahassee about 5 times as enjoyable.

forgot to mention they have a gym, billiards, racquetball, tennis, a pool, a nice scenic pond, nice balconies, and well kept grounds. they are also pet friendly, and most importantly the people here all keep to their own. i cannot stress how quiet this place is!
Last edited by tbone101 on Thu May 07, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tbone101
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby tbone101 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:00 am

since i did 5 years of undergrad here, and tallahassee can be either really cool or really crappy based on your knowledge of the city (i'm sure this is true of anywhere, but particularly here) I'd be willing to show some fellow students the ropes if they want.

i'll be in town all summer so just message me and we can work something out, :)

User avatar
lrw05d
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:53 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby lrw05d » Sat May 09, 2009 5:33 pm

tbone101 wrote:
Tunafizzish wrote:Ive stared looking at housing online and whatnot, but its kind of a pain seeing as I'm 1000 miles away. Anybody down there have any photos of apartment complexes, etc. The ones on the websites make them all seem like paradise, which I am guessing is too good to be true. Also, any recommendations? I don't mind spending more to have a nice, quiet, apartment. Thanks.

p.s. If you want to trade photos of apartment complexes for photos of cornfields, silos, and livestock, just let me know.

***note*** I am not a farmer, I just happen to be surrounded by them


its most definitely not true. most are loud and in terrible parts of town.

i happen to know of a super nice, quiet place in an AWESOME part of town. actually, the nicest part of town. you can be to the law school in 10 minutes if you take my patented short cut. I've lived in these apartments for 3 years. After seeing virtually every apartment complex in Tally, and living in 2 others, i can assure you this is the best for a grad student.

its about half young families, a quarter single workers, and a quarter grad students. very, very quiet, no parties, its tucked away and feels isolated from the rest of town, but as i mentioned is in a great location in regards to restaurants, shopping, and campus. the management is great and in the 3 years I've lived here i only had one instance of a loud neighbor and it was because they were out of town and forgot to turn off their tv.

it's great to be able to go out with friends, party somewhere else if that is your thing, and then come home to a super quiet apartment.

Message me if you want more details, and once you get in to town I can give you a tour of about everything you need to know about Tally. Trust me, it took me over a year to figure out all these shortcuts and where the good stores and restaurants are, but once you know it it makes Tallahassee about 5 times as enjoyable.

forgot to mention they have a gym, billiards, racquetball, tennis, a pool, a nice scenic pond, nice balconies, and well kept grounds. they are also pet friendly, and most importantly the people here all keep to their own. i cannot stress how quiet this place is!



is that perhaps near southwood? the verandas, maybe? this all sounds familiar ;)

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby AJaKe » Mon May 11, 2009 3:12 pm

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Boyk1182
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 4:24 am

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby Boyk1182 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:14 pm

AJaKe wrote:Uh oh, off the waitlist at UF you guys.. I have 48 hours to get back to them. CRISIS. I was all set to go to FSU, then THIS.

I feel worse because I made this FSU 2012 thread ... like way to turn my back lol


Go to UF!

...to free up a spot at FSU :wink:

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby green918 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:12 pm

AJaKe wrote:Uh oh, off the waitlist at UF you guys.. I have 48 hours to get back to them. CRISIS. I was all set to go to FSU, then THIS.

I feel worse because I made this FSU 2012 thread ... like way to turn my back lol


This was my dilemma as well. It's a toughy.
Good luck!

User avatar
TKM
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby TKM » Tue May 12, 2009 8:58 am

green918 wrote:
AJaKe wrote:Uh oh, off the waitlist at UF you guys.. I have 48 hours to get back to them. CRISIS. I was all set to go to FSU, then THIS.

I feel worse because I made this FSU 2012 thread ... like way to turn my back lol


This was my dilemma as well. It's a toughy.
Good luck!


Why did you choose FSU over UF?

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby green918 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:11 am

TKM wrote:
Why did you choose FSU over UF?


PMed you.

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby AJaKe » Tue May 12, 2009 11:38 am

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
green918
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby green918 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:48 pm

AJaKe wrote:
green918 wrote:
TKM wrote:
Why did you choose FSU over UF?


PMed you.


I would like to know this as well if you please.


Copied and pasted from the pm:

I was pretty happy with my undergrad experience there and I didn't think it was a bad city, but I wasn't that thrilled with the idea of staying in Gainesville for another three years.
I visited both fsu and uf because I didn't want to rule UF out just because I wanted to leave Gainesville. I enjoyed my visit at fsu more. It just felt like it was a better fit for me and I am very familiar with Tallahassee so I felt comfortable there. I'm also considering working in government and continuing my involvement with organizations and people who are in Tallahassee.
imho, UF and FSU are very similar in terms of the quality of the schools. I think the one leg up that UF has is their alumni network, even for undergrads. However, UF is still very "good old boys." Both the undergad colleges and the law school have had numerous problems with racism and sexism, primarily against professors. It's gotten even worse this past year with discriminatory firing practices under budget cuts. All in all, I was ready to leave Gainesville and the general atmosphere of the problems at UF pretty much solidified fsu for me.

HullMan31
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby HullMan31 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:40 am

Dumb question, but I'm juggling a few schools. Is there a second deposit and when is it due? Is there any information online or through FSU?

Thanks. Michael

User avatar
TKM
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Postby TKM » Wed May 13, 2009 10:14 am

HullMan31 wrote:Dumb question, but I'm juggling a few schools. Is there a second deposit and when is it due? Is there any information online or through FSU?

Thanks. Michael


There is only one deposit.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest