Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
green918

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by green918 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:04 pm

lrw05d wrote:Ok, so by majority vote the bar night is going to be Sunday the 16th at Finnegan's Wake (on the corner of Thomasville and 5th in the shopping center). Anyone have a preference as to the time? Here's a list of people who said they're attending, the more the merrier, Ill add your name to the list! :)

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
in

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:12 pm

green918 wrote:
lrw05d wrote:Ok, so by majority vote the bar night is going to be Sunday the 16th at Finnegan's Wake (on the corner of Thomasville and 5th in the shopping center). Anyone have a preference as to the time? Here's a list of people who said they're attending, the more the merrier, Ill add your name to the list! :)

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
mortalnato
green918
in
added you to the list :)

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:46 pm

lrw05d wrote: southwood is fabulous. ive lived there for a few years now in a house and i love it. its really quiet, theres a clubhouse/pool, a ymca, a town center with restaurants, and really nice paths for jogging/walking the dog. most people think its a bit far from campus, but its really not a lot further than the other places youre considering. overall, i think its a better package than a stand alone apartment complex. there are a couple complexes in the neighborhood itself (twin oaks and delaney park) and there are studio apartments (called carriage houses) that people rent out above their garages (not as sketchy as it sounds, lol) that are a pretty good value. check it out on craigslist, and let me know if you have any questions about the neighborhood! have a safe flight! :)
I'm totally going to take you up on questions about the neighborhood :)

Regarding Delaney specifically, how do you feel about that area/the people/etc? I feel like it'll be a little nicer than Evergreens at Mahan, for only slightly more. Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit them tomorrow, so I'd just be going by the photos. I'm not picky, though, so I guess that helps. How long would it take to get to school from that area? 8am classes + long commute would hurt my feelings.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:48 pm

kevinm wrote:
gottaloveJAG wrote: Lily, Flum and ShadowRabbit...I have the same schedule as all of you except for LWR!!
I can't wait to meet you!
I'm Maria, by the way. My friends call me Shamima. : )
Same schedule as all of you, but totally disappointed about having to wake up for an 8am class three days a week!
If you do go with Delaney Park, there's a starbucks right across the street in the Publix Plaza.... just saying.

I figured i'd be going 8am 5 days a week, so only 3 is like a gift.

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:59 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:
kevinm wrote:
gottaloveJAG wrote: Lily, Flum and ShadowRabbit...I have the same schedule as all of you except for LWR!!
I can't wait to meet you!
I'm Maria, by the way. My friends call me Shamima. : )
Same schedule as all of you, but totally disappointed about having to wake up for an 8am class three days a week!
If you do go with Delaney Park, there's a starbucks right across the street in the Publix Plaza.... just saying.

I figured i'd be going 8am 5 days a week, so only 3 is like a gift.
Duuude starbucks across the street?!?! I'm sold, haha. The list of amenities at this place is pretty solid, too. Do you happen to know if the Night Nole services that area?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:18 pm

ame05d wrote:I bought my books today! I know it's really early, but I'm going out of town until the 16th and I wanted to make sure I could get them all without a problem and try to grab all the used books I could. Also I was just excited and didn't see a reason why I should wait (I deferred the cost so that wasn't an issue). I bought all but one book used (from Bill's) and the total was $785! Kind of crazy considering fsu estimated our costs for books/supplies at $1200 for the year, and I didn't even look at things like commercial guides/outlines or any school supplies I might need.
I bought my books yesterday : ) I figured the earlier I bought them, the better condition the used books would be in. I'm guessing the estimated cost of supplies is if you buy all new books?

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 pm

kevinm wrote:
lrw05d wrote: southwood is fabulous. ive lived there for a few years now in a house and i love it. its really quiet, theres a clubhouse/pool, a ymca, a town center with restaurants, and really nice paths for jogging/walking the dog. most people think its a bit far from campus, but its really not a lot further than the other places youre considering. overall, i think its a better package than a stand alone apartment complex. there are a couple complexes in the neighborhood itself (twin oaks and delaney park) and there are studio apartments (called carriage houses) that people rent out above their garages (not as sketchy as it sounds, lol) that are a pretty good value. check it out on craigslist, and let me know if you have any questions about the neighborhood! have a safe flight! :)
I'm totally going to take you up on questions about the neighborhood :)

Regarding Delaney specifically, how do you feel about that area/the people/etc? I feel like it'll be a little nicer than Evergreens at Mahan, for only slightly more. Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit them tomorrow, so I'd just be going by the photos. I'm not picky, though, so I guess that helps. How long would it take to get to school from that area? 8am classes + long commute would hurt my feelings.
it was long so i PM'ed you :)

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:26 pm

lrw05d wrote:
green918 wrote:

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
mortalnato
green918
in
I'd love to go! Add me please : )

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:28 pm

gottaloveJAG wrote:
ame05d wrote:I bought my books today! I know it's really early, but I'm going out of town until the 16th and I wanted to make sure I could get them all without a problem and try to grab all the used books I could. Also I was just excited and didn't see a reason why I should wait (I deferred the cost so that wasn't an issue). I bought all but one book used (from Bill's) and the total was $785! Kind of crazy considering fsu estimated our costs for books/supplies at $1200 for the year, and I didn't even look at things like commercial guides/outlines or any school supplies I might need.
I bought my books yesterday : ) I figured the earlier I bought them, the better condition the used books would be in. I'm guessing the estimated cost of supplies is if you buy all new books?
I think what the person is getting at is that the estimated cost is low. Don't forget your gonna have to do this book thing again for the spring, so really there's no way that the books alone will cost $1200, never mind supplies.

Then again they could be factoring in the total cost if you sell the books back. Im not 100%, but it still goes to my theory that the people who come up with these estimated expenses estimates are nuns, who live in convents.
kevinm wrote: Duuude starbucks across the street?!?! I'm sold, haha. The list of amenities at this place is pretty solid, too. Do you happen to know if the Night Nole services that area?
I have no idea. Im really not a good authority on this. I got my place at Delaney in July and it seems nice, but i've only been there 3 days so far, so i definitely don't know anything other than the starbucks location, and how to open the gate :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:54 pm

gottaloveJAG wrote:
lrw05d wrote:
green918 wrote:

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
mortalnato
green918
gottaloveJAG
in
I'd love to go! Add me please : )
done :)

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:04 pm

lrw05d: Thanks for adding me! I can't wait!!

ShadowRabbit: I think you're right. I completely misread. That estimate is really low for a full year...uh oh!

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:03 am

gottaloveJAG wrote:lrw05d: Thanks for adding me! I can't wait!!

ShadowRabbit: I think you're right. I completely misread. That estimate is really low for a full year...uh oh!
Do you think that perhaps the casebooks for classes that have a I in fall and a II in spring are used for the whole year? That would resolve some of the major cost discrepancies we're seeing in the estimates. Also, the supplements you get (if you do) for those classes should also be useful for I and for II.

I am not entirely clear on how much stuff is available at the copy center either. Still trying to figure out if that's a good way to go with some of these materials.

About Southwood: It is very nice. You will not be disappointed. Although, if you have seen Weeds (that show on showtime), Southwood definitely has that "little boxes" feel to it. A lot of the houses and apartments look the same. But I guess that's true of all the apt complexes anyway. Just mentioning it.

Also, nowhere in this town has a long commute—at least not compared to a "real" city. :wink: Yes, the 8 o'clock class will mean work-folks traffic, but it is not bad at all. Unless you live past Killearn (extreme North side of town), you should have a thiry-minute-or-less commute from pretty much anywhere. I just asked a couple of coworkers who live in the Killearn/Thomsville RD/Northside area and they said that it takes them 25-30 minutes to commute to work.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:41 am

Folks will be at Fermentation Lounge (best beer bar in town, IMHO) on Friday the 14th at 7:00 p.m. also. Just got a FB invite for the event.

Fermentation Lounge blog.

main site

No smoking inside, ftw!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Lily wrote:Folks will be at Fermentation Lounge (best beer bar in town, IMHO) on Friday the 14th at 7:00 p.m. also. Just got a FB invite for the event.

Fermentation Lounge blog.

main site

No smoking inside, ftw!
ive never heard of this place, it looks awesome! too bad i wont be there yet :(

is anyone able to access their classes on Blackboard yet?

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:21 pm

lrw05d wrote: ive never heard of this place, it looks awesome! too bad i wont be there yet :(
Don't worry. We can go some other time, too. :)
lrw05d wrote: is anyone able to access their classes on Blackboard yet?
Nope

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:24 pm

is it just me, or is that orientation book really hard to get through? dont get me wrong, i know casebooks arent exactly going to be juicy romance novels or anything, but I find myself reading this book and realizing I dont remember the last few pages because I zoned out. normally i love to read, but this is just making me nervous. ill blame it on summer.

edit to say classes are up on blackboard! hooray!

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:31 pm

lrw05d wrote:is it just me, or is that orientation book really hard to get through? dont get me wrong, i know casebooks arent exactly going to be juicy romance novels or anything, but I find myself reading this book and realizing I dont remember the last few pages because I zoned out. normally i love to read, but this is just making me nervous. ill blame it on summer.

I haven't even started it yet, haha. I'll probably read it a day or two before orientation, so don't spoil the ending!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:35 pm

kevinm wrote:
lrw05d wrote:is it just me, or is that orientation book really hard to get through? dont get me wrong, i know casebooks arent exactly going to be juicy romance novels or anything, but I find myself reading this book and realizing I dont remember the last few pages because I zoned out. normally i love to read, but this is just making me nervous. ill blame it on summer.

I haven't even started it yet, haha. I'll probably read it a day or two before orientation, so don't spoil the ending!!!
lol, i would start pretty soon if i were you, i assumed it was going to be a quick read but i cant bring myself to do more than a few pages at a time.

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:54 pm

lrw05d wrote: lol, i would start pretty soon if i were you, i assumed it was going to be a quick read but i cant bring myself to do more than a few pages at a time.
ugh, even more of a reason to push it off until the last minute :)

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:11 am

Already an assignment up in civil procedure for those in my section.... and so it begins :?

green918

New

Post by green918 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:55 am

gottaloveJAG wrote:
Did you defer your books? I haven't gotten my fsu id yet, but was hoping to get some books today.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:51 pm

green918 wrote:
gottaloveJAG wrote:
Did you defer your books? I haven't gotten my fsu id yet, but was hoping to get some books today.

you should just go get your id... it doesn't take long at all, plus it will give you a chance to walk around campus and whatnot :) They definitely won't let you defer your books w/o it

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Also, I bought my books at Bill's b/c it's easier and more convenient, but the FSU bookstore is right next to the card center place. so you could check that out too. and defer some sweet fsu gear along w/ your books!

green918

New

Post by green918 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:27 pm

ame05d wrote:Also, I bought my books at Bill's b/c it's easier and more convenient, but the FSU bookstore is right next to the card center place. so you could check that out too. and defer some sweet fsu gear along w/ your books!
Looks like I'll be getting my ID on Monday. Not so sure about that fsu gear though.... ;-).

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:27 pm

Is it true that UF Law > FSU Law?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”