Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mdd05d

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by mdd05d » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:22 pm

you wrote:Recently, however, there was a deadly shooting about half mile from there at a gas station, a mugging close by, etc. Not so scare you off, but I would probably try to stay north of Jackson Bluff Rd. Long as you're not out walking alone late at night, it'd be fine.
If you're referring to the shooting at Circle K that was at about 4 in the morning between two rival gangs who had assembled there after a night at Baja's. Not exactly surprising or too concerning as long as you're not involved in that scene IMO.

There are a ton of houses in that Mayhew/Atkamire/Airport area. I lived in a house over there last year and while there is still somewhat of an undergrad presence over there it is FAR better than living in an apartment complex. Much more secluded and you don't have to deal with the slime that owns and runs apartment complexes in Tallahassee.

nightlight

New

Post by nightlight » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Indian Village FTW! So close to the stadium that it doesn't even get dark outside the night before a game. Sure, the decks might collapse every so often, but that's a small price to pay to be so close to the action. On weekdays you can use the stadium c bus stop.

Hands down, the most kickass place to live.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:56 am

Do we really have to buy an external floppy drive (as per the technology e-mail)?
I didn't know people even used floppy disks anymore.

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:58 am

green918 wrote:Do we really have to buy an external floppy drive (as per the technology e-mail)?
I didn't know people even used floppy disks anymore.
I thought the exact same thing when I got that email. A little ridiculous if you ask me. I think that FSU needs to stop doing the weekly emailing.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Well it says you will need one if you plan on using a particular software.. If there are other software alternatives you don't need the drive, and if there are not then this software is not exclusive to fsu students and students at other schools will also need to purchase the floppy disk drive. I don't think it's too ridiculous of a request, the thing itself is really cheap.

Plus I kind of like the emails, esp. reminders about required forms that I still haven't managed to get out.... :/

Is anyone else on here already living in Tallahassee??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arredondo

New

Post by Arredondo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:03 pm

You need the external floppy drive if you want to type your exam for a class. The software saves the exam to a server but you have to back it up with the floppy. It's not that big of a deal. There are pretty good deals on ebay.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:48 am

Thankfully, due to a real estate transaction course in my UG, I have a usb floppy. They're only $20 on newegg for those who don't. And think of all the uses you can have. You can show your friends what computers use to use for storage 20 years ago!

Not living in Tally yet, not planning on actually living there till the week of orientation.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:12 pm

Hey, y'all. I got in after retaking the LSAT in June. Word.

Look forward to meeting y'all. I am currently in Tally, since I live and work here.

re housing, renting a house or duplex is usually a pretty good option.

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:59 pm

Lily wrote:Hey, y'all. I got in after retaking the LSAT in June. Word.

Look forward to meeting y'all. I am currently in Tally, since I live and work here.

Congrats! :D

So... I currently use Citibank, but I don't see any in Tallahassee (just Citi Financial) . Does anyone have any advice on which bank would be best for someone living right next to the law school? It seems like there are a bunch in downtown Tallahassee (Bank of America, Wachovia, etc) but I was wondering if anyone had any reasons to pick one over the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

green918

New

Post by green918 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Mortalnato wrote:
Lily wrote:Hey, y'all. I got in after retaking the LSAT in June. Word.

Congrats! :D

So... I currently use Citibank, but I don't see any in Tallahassee (just Citi Financial) . Does anyone have any advice on which bank would be best for someone living right next to the law school? It seems like there are a bunch in downtown Tallahassee (Bank of America, Wachovia, etc) but I was wondering if anyone had any reasons to pick one over the other.
I believe FSU uses Suntrust for direct deposits and those are the atms on main campus. Not sure about what else is near the law school besides the wachovia.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:41 am

Don't use suntrust. Yes, you hve to automatically open up a bank account with them when you get your fsu card (ID), and your finanial aid money will be automatically deposited in this account, but there are no convenient suntrust locations in town and it is a real hassle when you need to go there. There is one on campus but there isn't easy parking around it and it is a solid 20 minute walk from the law school. Banks like wachovia and bank of America, even Regions Bank have locations all over town. There's definitely a citibank here so if you want to stay with them it shouldn't be a problem.

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm

ame05d wrote:Don't use suntrust. Yes, you hve to automatically open up a bank account with them when you get your fsu card (ID), and your finanial aid money will be automatically deposited in this account, but there are no convenient suntrust locations in town and it is a real hassle when you need to go there. There is one on campus but there isn't easy parking around it and it is a solid 20 minute walk from the law school. Banks like wachovia and bank of America, even regions bank have locations all over town. There's definitely a citibank here so if you want to stay with them it shouldn't be a problem.
Im just going to suck it up and have them mail the check to me, that way I can just deposit it to my bank account I use (Through USAA, which I highly recommend if you can. Seriously)

Anybody planning on joining any clubs? I was looking at their sailing club and it looks like they have their stuff together and have quite a few boats for member's to use.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Avoid SunTrust whenever possible. *shudder*

Boyk1182

Bronze

Post by Boyk1182 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:01 pm

edit: Deleted, wrong thread

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Alright, I guess I'm finally 100% committed to FSU, since I really can't afford to wait any longer. Regarding housing, I'm just really nervous about the entire ordeal...I mean, I live in NJ right now, and I've been town to tallahassee twice since march, but haven't really had much time to look around at apartments/houses. For the last five years, I've lived outside of albany, ny in an absolute ghetto...I've been shot at, etc. I've resolved to never again live in a similar area, so I'm going to try to find something in the $1000-$1400 range in the next few weeks.

My question to you guys is more about having a social life in law school...I really made the best of my undergrad experience, and this will be the first time I've ever lived alone, without roommates. With that said, how much does living 10-15 minutes from campus complicate the socializing issue? Everyone I knew in undergrad was maybe a block or two from me, so I was always able to go out to bars and all of that. I know that there won't be too much time for fun, but does FSU cater well to the total optimists looking to enjoy themselves?

See all of you in the fall!!

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:28 pm

kevinm wrote:Alright, I guess I'm finally 100% committed to FSU, since I really can't afford to wait any longer. Regarding housing, I'm just really nervous about the entire ordeal...I mean, I live in NJ right now, and I've been town to tallahassee twice since march, but haven't really had much time to look around at apartments/houses. For the last five years, I've lived outside of albany, ny in an absolute ghetto...I've been shot at, etc. I've resolved to never again live in a similar area, so I'm going to try to find something in the $1000-$1400 range in the next few weeks.

My question to you guys is more about having a social life in law school...I really made the best of my undergrad experience, and this will be the first time I've ever lived alone, without roommates. With that said, how much does living 10-15 minutes from campus complicate the socializing issue? Everyone I knew in undergrad was maybe a block or two from me, so I was always able to go out to bars and all of that. I know that there won't be too much time for fun, but does FSU cater well to the total optimists looking to enjoy themselves?

$1000-$1400 will get you a great apartment or rent a decent 2/2, 3/2 house in a decent area. Not a lot of great places near the law school, unfortunately. If you want to stray away from the undergrad scene but be relatively close to campus--look at places in the NW quadrant, off of Fred George Road, Mission Road, Old Bainbridge, etc. If you want nicer and are willing to drive a bit more, NE quadrant out toward Thomasville Road, Meridian Road, Park Ave etc. I've heard that the traditionally undergrad apt. complexes are horrendous if you are looking for a studious environment, but I never lived there som I can't confirm.

Socialization will never be a problem at FSU, so if you have time to be out and about, you will have no problems finding some trouble to get into.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:08 pm

kevinm wrote:Alright, I guess I'm finally 100% committed to FSU, since I really can't afford to wait any longer. Regarding housing, I'm just really nervous about the entire ordeal...I mean, I live in NJ right now, and I've been town to tallahassee twice since march, but haven't really had much time to look around at apartments/houses. For the last five years, I've lived outside of albany, ny in an absolute ghetto...I've been shot at, etc. I've resolved to never again live in a similar area, so I'm going to try to find something in the $1000-$1400 range in the next few weeks.

I have two friends who own awesome beer bars just a bit south of the law school (you could walk). One is a dive, has loud music and pool tables, and blacked out windows and the other is a rad beer bar with an excellent selection if you're into the whole beer thing (I am).

It doesn't take very long to get from one side of Tally to another; you'll be fine. There are condos in the downtown area, though, that you may want to look into. Also, there are no truly terrible neighborhoods here. People who grew up here think the "bad" neighborhoods are bad, but they don't know what they're talking about. I can think of a few places I would not want to live, though: Stuckey (off Lake Bradford), Ridge Road. There's an area that you might not find so desirable just north of Tennessee (the main drag) called "Frenchtown." But, honestly, there are plenty of places near campus that are safe. If you are looking at a place and wonder what that 'hood is like, you can p.m. me and I can kind of explain the "flavor" of the neighborhood. I have lived in Tallahassee for nine years.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Lily wrote:I have two friends who own awesome beer bars just a bit south of the law school (you could walk). One is a dive, has loud music and pool tables, and blacked out windows and the other is a rad beer bar with an excellent selection if you're into the whole beer thing (I am).
Which two bars are you talking about? I have spent my fair share of time in Tally, and definitely hit most of those over by The Engine Room (or Beta Bar or Cow Haus, or whatever they are calling it now...)

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:06 pm

toolshed wrote:
Lily wrote:I have two friends who own awesome beer bars just a bit south of the law school (you could walk). One is a dive, has loud music and pool tables, and blacked out windows and the other is a rad beer bar with an excellent selection if you're into the whole beer thing (I am).
Which two bars are you talking about? I have spent my fair share of time in Tally, and definitely hit most of those over by The Engine Room (or Beta Bar or Cow Haus, or whatever they are calling it now...)
St. Michael's is the awesome dive-type bar. Fermentation Lounge is the classy beer bar. The latter is very new; they opened in October '08.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 pm

Lily wrote:
toolshed wrote:
St. Michael's is the awesome dive-type bar. Fermentation Lounge is the classy beer bar. The latter is very new; they opened in October '08.
Gotcha. I like St. Michael's, been there a lot. Never been to the Fermentation Lounge, I'll have to check it out next time I am in town. I'm guessing it is more of an upscale Leon Pub?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FacePalm

New

Post by FacePalm » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:35 pm

+1 Polos on Park
I haven't lived there since UG in 2001, but there were only a handful of UGs and we were all in the far back. Mostly grad students and congresspeople when it was in session. Definitely on the high end of housing in tally, but the difference between $500+ and $700+ in that town is ghetto to glamorous. Not a bad commute to campus (10-15 minutes and traffic is a non-issue), but then nothing really is in Tallahassee.

TKM, I think Polos allow pets.

There are some real shit holes in Tally. I wouldn't commit under and circumstances until I actually saw something in person.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:14 pm

toolshed wrote:Gotcha. I like St. Michael's, been there a lot. Never been to the Fermentation Lounge, I'll have to check it out next time I am in town. I'm guessing it is more of an upscale Leon Pub?
Good guess! Yeah, they have a ton of stuff. The great thing about Fermentation (which is a problem for me at Leon Pub) is that they're no smoking inside the bar. It's nice to have that kind of selection without all the smoke; and there's a patio area outside for the smokers. The staff are really rad, too, and will suggest something you might like if you tell them what you typically drink.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 pm

FacePalm wrote:+1 Polos on Park
I haven't lived there since UG in 2001, but there were only a handful of UGs and we were all in the far back. Mostly grad students and congresspeople when it was in session. Definitely on the high end of housing in tally, but the difference between $500+ and $700+ in that town is ghetto to glamorous. Not a bad commute to campus (10-15 minutes and traffic is a non-issue), but then nothing really is in Tallahassee.

TKM, I think Polos allow pets.

There are some real shit holes in Tally. I wouldn't commit under and circumstances until I actually saw something in person.
I have heard that a lot of law school students live in Polos on Park. Also, the dude who gave me my campus tour said that's where he lives. I haven't been there, but from the comments on this board alone it certainly does seem like a place you can assume is decent.

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:40 pm

I just finished my 1L year at FSU Law, and for what its worth I wanted to address a few things people are writing about.

A.) Football tickets are easily had, its an online system you register for the week before each game. Tickets are basically guaranteed.

B.) That reading list is an absolute joke. You will have more reading this coming year than is healthy for the human mind, please do not waste precious brain cells on these pointless books. If you really want to 'prep' for 1L, take a typing class. Seeing how our exams are basically who can type the most in 4 hours, this would be the only 'prep' I can imagine.

C.) Housing varies like it would in any city the size of Tallahassee. There are terrible places and amazing places. For those of you with some money to throw around I advise looking at a place called the Cloisters, its a couple blocks from the law school and are pretty up-scale (not to mention this is the location of the aforementioned Fermentation Lounge). For those a bit more price conscious but still want to live somewhere nice I reccomend Victoria Grand Apartments or Evergreens on Mahan. These are pretty nice places for not to bad prices. And if you don't mind driving, and you don't want too pay much for your housing, then go for Polos on Park. A lot of 1Ls lived there last year and I imagine this being the situation this year. Though in the interest of full disclosure, not many of them will be re-renting there because the distance is a bit much and they just aren't that amazing to begin with. In fact, I personally think the only reason 1Ls lived there in the first place is because they are from out of town and just don't know where else to rent.

Most importantly, FSU Law is amazing. You all made the best choice in coming here. I can assure you 1L year is the most fun you will never want to have again.

If you have any questions at all about FSU Law, Tallahassee, Apt complexes, bars, drinking habits of 1Ls, etc. just PM me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”