Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lobos

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by lobos » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:42 pm

AJaKe wrote:
lobos wrote:Just got back from visiting the campus, absolutely loved it. Megan was very nice (and yes, very yawny), as was the director of admissions. Parking sucks though, so for those who are visiting be warned. The visitor's parking garages around the school are your best bet, but even those were near full when I was there.
You can buy a pass to park at the civic center across the street and kitty corner from the school is a brand new garage, I don't think parking is THAT bad. As bad as it is at any school sure.

Parking as a visitor is a lot different then parking as a student.

I meant as a visitor, without access to student parking.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:46 pm

So, everyone's favorite: a laptop question.

I know next to nothing about laptops other than that mine is out of date and I'll probably have to spring for a new one.
I'd love a mac, but since I'm footing the bill on this one, that's probably out of the question. Other than good battery life and portability, is there anything else I should be looking for? Does anyone know if we have to have a particular version of windows/microsoft word, excel, etc.?

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:49 am

Visited the campus today. Met with Profs. Atkinson and Falaschetti as well as taking a non-admish office tour. I sat in on the elective BA (Biz Arrangements) class and had a very rewarding experience. The people there were friendly and made time for me, even as spontaneous a visit as this was.

Parking seems ample enough, as AJake mentions. The civic center pass is about $120 a year and you have free access to the new parking garage in the same area, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Overall, I came away very impressed and perhaps enough so that I will withdraw from every other school tomorrow.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:21 pm

Anyone looking for a roommate?

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:38 am

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:16 pm

AJaKe wrote:
TKM wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate?
I've heard it is a bad idea to room with other law students

Initially I posted a response that was in disagreement with you. Then I looked on here at what people had to say about the whole roommate idea, and it looks like you're probably right.

Has anyone figured out their living situation?

green918

New

Post by green918 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:29 pm

TKM wrote:
AJaKe wrote:
TKM wrote:Anyone looking for a roommate?
I've heard it is a bad idea to room with other law students

Initially I posted a response that was in disagreement with you. Then I looked on here at what people had to say about the whole roommate idea, and it looks like you're probably right.

Has anyone figured out their living situation?
I'm going up Friday to check out a few places. A few people mentioned the polos, but I'd rather be close enough to walk/bike. Is anyone else looking closer to campus? and no roommate sounds best.

davefromfl

New

Post by davefromfl » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm interested in places near campus. All I can seem to find online are these Phoenix South properties, like College Wood, Jefferson Towers, etc. Does anyone in Tally know if these places are alright? Is there much else within walking distance of the law school?

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:12 pm

davefromfl wrote:I'm interested in places near campus. All I can seem to find online are these Phoenix South properties, like College Wood, Jefferson Towers, etc. Does anyone in Tally know if these places are alright? Is there much else within walking distance of the law school?

I'm pretty sure that jefferson towers is across the street from the law school, but I heard that it was shitty.

Please share any info you get when you visit green!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

green918

New

Post by green918 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:57 pm

davefromfl wrote:I'm interested in places near campus. All I can seem to find online are these Phoenix South properties, like College Wood, Jefferson Towers, etc. Does anyone in Tally know if these places are alright? Is there much else within walking distance of the law school?
I visited phoenix south when I went for accepted student's day. I didn't like Jefferson arms, but I thought college wood was fine. I guess it depends on how picky you are and definitely what your budget is. I'm still living on the cheap in undergrad so 800/900 dollars a month for living expenses seems like too much to me. I'm willing to not have an extremely nice apartment.

Mastiff

New

Post by Mastiff » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:43 pm

For a laptop, go to the computer store part of the campus book store and tell them that you are a low student and u want the best "mobility" package that they offer. You can pay for it out of your financial aid right before school starts or purchase it out of pocket earlier.

Parking: With the new parking garage I would be less inclined to buy the pass for the civic center, however, it is a BIT closer and is a good fall back. Do not rely on law school parking, there are few spaces and they fill up fast.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Mastiff wrote:For a laptop, go to the computer store part of the campus book store and tell them that you are a low student and u want the best "mobility" package that they offer. You can pay for it out of your financial aid right before school starts or purchase it out of pocket earlier.
thanks!

Flum

New

Post by Flum » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:32 pm

Alright. I'm 90% sure that I'll be attending FSU law. I've paid my deposit, but I'm still waiting on a few decisions from schools outside my confidence zone. I went to ASD back in March, and was rather impressed with the whole package. There is a seemingly genuine feeling of congeniality there, the professors seemed extremely qualified yet approachable, and I'm very excited about the opportunity to attend.

Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with you folks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shockdaddy325

New

Post by Shockdaddy325 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 am

It's decided. I'm here next fall.

jcohen2615

New

Post by jcohen2615 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:47 pm

so i just got back from 2 nights in tally visiting the school and some friends.. this message is basically directed towards anyone deciding between fsu and somewhere else... I came away pretty impressed and excited that i will be attending in the fall. so much so, that I will probably withdraw from all of my outstanding w/l's this week... had a good conversation with the dean of admissions, seemed like a good positive vibe from everyone, plus tally has the state government, supreme court, etc...

ill see everyone in the fall

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Hopefully this time next year I can start the Florida State University Class of 2013 Thread. Congratulations to everyone who made it in, and I hope to see you there in a year and a half!

The New Danger

New

Post by The New Danger » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Its official..I'll be in Tallahassee too. See you all in the fall. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I've been searching for apartments online and I'm not having the best luck. I would like to find something thats $500-$600 that will allow a German shepherd. Anyone else in a similar situation that would like to offer any suggestions?

adjutor

New

Post by adjutor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:38 pm

FSU moves up from #55 to #52 on the USNWR ranking.... Congrats to all those who made the wise decision to come to FSU Law! I am willing to bet we jump UF in rankings before you all graduate. Just a prediction, but at the rate FSU has been climbing the chart its not totally insane to say so. See you all in the Fall.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtk04

New

Post by mtk04 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:04 pm

I'm pumped about the ranking jump, even more pumped that FSU will surely overtake UF soon

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08 pm

as far as housing goes, if youre not opposed to living further away from campus (about a 15-20 min drive), there is a really cute planned community (think white picket fences) called southwood where a lot of homeowners lease carriage houses. theyre basically studio apartments above the garage of the home, they all have separate entries, and usually go for about $600-700 a month all inclusive. its definitely a safe and quiet community, mostly families and professionals, but it is far away. the best way to find them is just by driving around the neighborhood, but im sure you could find them online too. my boyfriend used to live there and it was really nice, so just thought id throw that out there. good luck and see you in the fall!

Tunafizzish

New

Post by Tunafizzish » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:26 pm

Deposit down...99% sure I'm headed to FSU.

northerndeac

New

Post by northerndeac » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:46 pm

I've sent in my deposit and I'm pretty sure I'm coming. PM me if you want to add me on facebook so we can get to know our classmates, I'm part of the group already.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:40 pm

Does anyone who knows Tally well know anything about the neighborhood Villas at Westridge. I checked online at talgov.com to see the incidences of police reports and there seems to be quite a few. BUT I think most of them are from the apartment complexes that are in close proximity.

BTW: If you wondering about the utilities of a specific location you can go to talgov.com and check each residences utility bills for the past 12 months and the average. Also there is an app where you can see exactly how many police reports were called in for a specific area along with what each call was for.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”