Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
arich24

New

Re: Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2012

Post by arich24 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:54 pm

We use Exam4. Before exams you download the software onto your computer (works for both Windows & Macs). The VPN is how you get on the internet at school, so the software is outside of that.

But I wouldn't worry about computers too much...there's a great IT office always staffed with helpful students (well, I can of course only speak from Carlisle)...

mari

New

Post by mari » Sun May 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Wow, I googled Exam4 and found this: --LinkRemoved-- I could see a practice exam, and all the other exams loaded in there for Dickinson for the current term. I mean, I saw the links for them, not the actual questions -- didn't dare to click.

Exam4 offers downloads for Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS X 10.4, and Mac OS X 10.5. Oh well.

lawyer180

New

Post by lawyer180 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:49 pm

I have a lease for the White Course apts for $700/month 1 bedroom apt. It looks beautiful and EVERYTHING is included, but this is REALLy pricey?! Does anyone know of better areas that are ON-Campus? How do we recruit roomates?

Thanks

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Thu May 07, 2009 5:15 pm

lawyer180 wrote:I have a lease for the White Course apts for $700/month 1 bedroom apt. It looks beautiful and EVERYTHING is included, but this is REALLy pricey?! Does anyone know of better areas that are ON-Campus? How do we recruit roomates?

Thanks
That's all there is on campus for law students. How is $700 with everything included pricey? You're in a college town with 45,000 undergrads. Housing is at a premium, despite the bumfuck nature of the location of State College, because there are just so many people looking for a place to live in a such a small area, and those with the rooms for rent know it. You're going to pay a little more for anything decent, especially if you want to live by yourself.

mari

New

Post by mari » Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 pm

Here's a house on craigslist: --LinkRemoved--.
This is near where I live in Huntingdon. Sweet little village. The drive to the law school is 50 minutes, though. Since I'm here already, I'll be making that drive. A car pool would be optimal.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Tue May 19, 2009 12:06 pm

mari wrote:Here's a house on craigslist: --LinkRemoved--.
This is near where I live in Huntingdon. Sweet little village. The drive to the law school is 50 minutes, though. Since I'm here already, I'll be making that drive. A car pool would be optimal.
Wow this thread is dead, wake up peeps! I am back in at Penn State, they just offered me my seat back in the class. I originally withdrew because PSU was not participating in a VA program, but now they are! Thinking of transferring from UP to Carlisle though.

mari

New

Post by mari » Tue May 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Glad to hear you're back, LSATfromNC. Most of us have moved over to the facebook page for Dickinson class of 2012.

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Wed May 20, 2009 3:43 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:
Clever username wrote:
Jones, Dow wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote: Damn that's a big incoming class.
yeah, this might hurt us next year in the rankings. THey hired a bunch of professors which got the student teacher ratio to 10.? : 1 and it probably contributed quite a bit to the rankings jump. When all of us scrubs get there it might water that number down and it will hurt the ranking.
I was told by Elena DeLuca at the scholarship dinner that they expected the class to still be in the range of 200-250, as it has been for at least the past few years. She said they have the capacity to expand if they want to or get an unexpectedly high number of attendees, for lack of a better word, but she said she still sees the class as being in that range. It could just be that the sections could accomodate that many people, not necessarily that they will.
My only problem with what she is saying is that I think it's in the school's best interest to have as few sections as possible (it costs additional money to have more, etc.). So by the way I'm looking at this, which i really don't want to explain right now, the absolute minimum they would enroll at UP would be ~151 and obviously the max was something like 75*3 sections (225). So a pretty conservative expectation would be 188 for UP. I think we're looking at a total class size closer to 300-320.
Totally missed this before.

The assistant dean of admissions said the class would be between 200-250 and is going to stay that way. Why would you look at it any other way?

Penn State cares as much about the rankings as any other school, so with the school jumping 30-plus spots over the past few years, why would the administration voluntarily do something, such as arbitarily increase the class size, to hurt that?

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Wed May 20, 2009 3:48 pm

On another note, does anybody know which classes we'll be able to choose from when it comes to picking an elective in the spring?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawyer180

New

Post by lawyer180 » Thu May 21, 2009 1:16 pm

i think their website lists fall schedules and and on which campuses. haven't sent in my lease deposit yet. Does anyone know when the 2nd seat deposit deadline is? THey havne't sent me that package yet.

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Thu May 21, 2009 3:31 pm

It doesn't say which classes you get to choose from for the elective on the Web site. That's why I asked.

And, June 12.

lawyer180

New

Post by lawyer180 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:51 am

Clever username wrote:It doesn't say which classes you get to choose from for the elective on the Web site. That's why I asked.

And, June 12.
Sorry bud, best bet is to probably call their office then. They are pretty responsive and exceptionally nice.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri May 22, 2009 10:58 am

Anyone have the address to send in the deposit?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Fri May 22, 2009 11:15 am

Admissions Office
The Dickinson School of Law
The Pennsylvania State University
150 South College St
Carlisle, PA 17013-9971

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri May 22, 2009 11:17 am

Clever username wrote:Admissions Office
The Dickinson School of Law
The Pennsylvania State University
150 South College St
Carlisle, PA 17013-9971
Thank you, I'm off to mail my deposit now :)

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri May 22, 2009 11:56 am

And its official. Although, now I am double deposited....I still need to withdraw from Wake Forest.

lawyer180

New

Post by lawyer180 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:50 am

Received package today: second seat deposit of $500 is due 6/12, wowsers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BrittNCSU

New

Post by BrittNCSU » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:47 pm

Ok so my decision is final and I am going to be a PSU in the fall! Feels like I have so much to do in such a short amount of time. I'll be staying in the Whitecourse Apartments since I don't know the area.

makingmovez

New

Post by makingmovez » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:48 am

Clever username wrote:It doesn't say which classes you get to choose from for the elective on the Web site. That's why I asked.
Here is a list of the electives offered to JD and LL.M candidates.
http://www.law.psu.edu/academics/electives.cfm

Clever username

New

Post by Clever username » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:01 am

makingmovez wrote:
But the question I have is do we get to pick from that entire list or a more limited version of it.

From the Required Courses page:
First Year
Fall
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Legal Analysis, Research & Writing I
Torts

Spring
Constitutional Law I
Contracts
Legal Analysis, Research & Writing II
Property
3-Credit Elective (options to be announced)

The bolded part is what makes me wonder.

arich24

New

Post by arich24 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:52 pm

I just finished my 1L. Each campus was offered 2 choices for the elective. I know Carlisle we chose from Poverty Law and Criminal Procedure. Can't remember UP, but I remember one of theirs had something to do with International Law of some sort.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

makingmovez

New

Post by makingmovez » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 pm

Clever username wrote:
makingmovez wrote:
But the question I have is do we get to pick from that entire list or a more limited version of it.

From the Required Courses page:
First Year
Fall
Civil Procedure
Criminal Law
Legal Analysis, Research & Writing I
Torts

Spring
Constitutional Law I
Contracts
Legal Analysis, Research & Writing II
Property
3-Credit Elective (options to be announced)

The bolded part is what makes me wonder.
Good point, Clever Username. It would be pretty awesome if we could choose what WE were interested in vs. the school limiting it to two options. I wouldn't call it much of an "elective".

rgarland

New

Post by rgarland » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:14 pm

anyone looking for a roommate at the Carlisle campus starting in August? also im from MD so i really have no idea about the area, where do most incoming 1Ls live? is there a certain building/apt complex for anything?

arich24

New

Post by arich24 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:20 pm

Hello rgarland.

I just finished up my first year at Carlisle. Most of us live on the west side of Hannover particularly W. High, S. Pitt, W. Pomfrett, S. West, W. South, Hannover, etc. Check out this list if you haven't yet: http://www.dsl.psu.edu/prospective/newaptlist.pdf A VERY large group of law students in in Ribbon Mills on S. Pitt...but it's a long walk to the bars and restaurants most hang out at.Ribbon MIlls is pretty much the only complex...most live in old buildings/houses converted into apartments. Hope this helped!

lawyer180

New

Post by lawyer180 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:04 pm

Last edited by lawyer180 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”