University of Florida 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby AJaKe » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:32 pm

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lawschool7777
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby lawschool7777 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:58 pm

That is good to hear, thanks for that response!

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby ShiftyPig » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:41 pm

lawschool7777 wrote:Lets hope we aren't in section 3. Speaking of, does anyone know how UF assigns sections? Is it alphabetical, LSAT distribution, totally random? Has anyone heard of the scholarship students being stacked in one section (apparently some schools do that)?


My scholarship isn't dependent on 1L GPA, so stacking is irrelevant to me.

I'll take one for the team and volunteer for Section 3 - I have never taken notes on a laptop in class.

Edit to say maybe not: I spoke with Little and he was horrifically hard to understand in conversation. That and I have an out-of-town wedding one weekend in October and with my luck that would be a Friday class day.
Last edited by ShiftyPig on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby 98234872348 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:46 pm

I was under the impression taking notes on a laptop in law school was the standard, apparently I was drastically mistaken...

Does he require hand written tests as well :?

User avatar
abraun5
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby abraun5 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 am

mistergoft wrote:I was under the impression taking notes on a laptop in law school was the standard, apparently I was drastically mistaken...

Does he require hand written tests as well :?



There was an article in the Alligator (the school news paper) about a year ago I think, that some law professors were banning the use of laptops in their class. The reason was because students tended not to not really pay attention (go on facebook and other sites). Also, during admitted students day one of the professors said he hated laptops because there are times he would ask a student a question and he could tell they didnt know the answer but one of their classmates would IM them the answer.

Basically I wouldnt be surprised if we see it a lot.

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby AJaKe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:32 am

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby 98234872348 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:38 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Phlash58
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Phlash58 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 am

Weird.
Last edited by Phlash58 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby ShiftyPig » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Phlash58 wrote:
abraun5 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:I was under the impression taking notes on a laptop in law school was the standard, apparently I was drastically mistaken...

Does he require hand written tests as well :?



There was an article in the Alligator (the school news paper) about a year ago I think, that some law professors were banning the use of laptops in their class. The reason was because students tended not to not really pay attention (go on facebook and other sites). Also, during admitted students day one of the professors said he hated laptops because there are times he would ask a student a question and he could tell they didnt know the answer but one of their classmates would IM them the answer.

Basically I wouldnt be surprised if we see it a lot.


Their grades will most likely reflect this. I thought the days of holding people's hands in classrooms was over when I left high school. I thought wrong.


The professors could care less about an individual's grade; I'm guessing that calling on someone only to find him or her mid-conversation with someone across the room gets a bit tedious. Personal annoyance issue versus doing it for our benefit.

User avatar
Phlash58
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Phlash58 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Yep
Last edited by Phlash58 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby ShiftyPig » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:54 pm

Phlash58 wrote:Still not a legitimate reason, imo, to ban laptops. I guess it's what I get for not getting into a t-14.


Image

Everyone's in the same boat. Surely the ability to adapt to a specific challenge is a worthy trait.

User avatar
Phlash58
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Phlash58 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:23 pm

Hefty
Last edited by Phlash58 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jpin22
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby jpin22 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:50 pm

No need to be so hostile guys. I agree that not being able to use laptops in some classes is a bunch of BS, unless a teacher has a valid reason. I do not find that the teacher having students in the past who surfed the internet to be a valid reason. Kind of sounds like in grade school when a few kids would do something wrong it would ruin it for the whole group. Using the computer is arguably the most efficient way of taking notes, so while adaptability is all and great, I would personally like to be able to use the most efficient learning tools out there.

User avatar
Phlash58
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Phlash58 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:56 pm

Juiceboxes
Last edited by Phlash58 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:54 am

[
Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby ShiftyPig » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Phlash58 wrote:
ShiftyPig wrote:
Phlash58 wrote:Still not a legitimate reason, imo, to ban laptops. I guess it's what I get for not getting into a t-14.


Image

Everyone's in the same boat. Surely the ability to adapt to a specific challenge is a worthy trait.


Adaptability was never in question. The nonsensical-ness of it is what is in question. I hope I get you in my section; I will know at worst I will be second from last.


Classy. Like I said, my scholarship isn't GPA-dependent so I could care less where I finish or if my section is stacked.

If you recall, my original point was the distraction issue, as raised (sensibly) by a professor at the ASD. Hopefully by August 18 you can differentiate between attacking a person and attacking his/her stated position or attacking an aside. Your issue lies with the professor banning the laptops, not me citing him as a source. I trust that the professors are smart enough to do a cost/benefit analysis weighing the gains in productivity versus distractions + compromise in the authenticity of student answers.

missmissy
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby missmissy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:36 pm

can't we all just get along?? :lol: the above is why i don't get on tls often. there's no need to get in an argument over something you can't control. you don't get to pick your section, your professors, and most unfortunate your classmates. You guys have no idea what section you in, what professors you'll have, and have no idea how the professor in question actually runs his/her class. Don't get all worked up in july. save that for december when it's time for exams. When it's time for exams, i doubt that not being able to use a laptop will even be a issue. 0L's don't make the rules. That's the beauty of law school. So make the best of whatever situation you are given. Let's talk about something more productive, guys. :roll:

User avatar
Phlash58
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Phlash58 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:50 pm

Lepras
Last edited by Phlash58 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftyPig
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:18 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby ShiftyPig » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:28 pm

Phlash58 wrote:
missmissy wrote:can't we all just get along?? :lol: the above is why i don't get on tls often. there's no need to get in an argument over something you can't control. you don't get to pick your section, your professors, and most unfortunate your classmates. You guys have no idea what section you in, what professors you'll have, and have no idea how the professor in question actually runs his/her class. Don't get all worked up in july. save that for december when it's time for exams. When it's time for exams, i doubt that not being able to use a laptop will even be a issue. 0L's don't make the rules. That's the beauty of law school. So make the best of whatever situation you are given. Let's talk about something more productive, guys. :roll:


I hope I get you in my section, too.

Yeah, we do. Ajake posted the professor's rules on here.
Talk to anyone who finished taking a law school exam and ask them the advantages of using a laptop. Everyone is at the same disadvantage, but it's still an issue...especially since I'm sure the professors teaching the class in other sections will allow laptop use. Don't forget, the school requires us to invest in a laptop.
I hope you really don't think the lack of ability to make rules is the beauty of law school.

At least pay more attention, or pretend to more intelligent before you come in to play the role of 'above the fray peacemaker'. Shiftypig has enough sense to do that at least.


Jesus Christ man, you could at least have the courtesy to carry this out in the Facebook group so we all know who to avoid like the plague.

Your view is that the benefits of a laptop outweigh the distractions/possible cheating. That's fine - most of the professors agree with you. But some professors think the cost of distractions/cheating outweighs the benefit of allowing laptops in the classroom. You, as a 0L, probably owe it to a professor, having spent three years in a law classroom as a student and X number of years teaching, to respect that decision. Supreme Court justices who are on the wrong side of a 5-4 decision don't throw a tantrum to the majority, despite hearing the same case and reaching different conclusions.

I've already said I don't care about a laptop ban - it's the same for everyone in the section. If it bothers me that much, I'll get a GTD program, scan my handwritten notes, and use run it through handwriting recognition to make them searchable on my laptop for prep. For the test I'll just suck it up.

Your argument is fair, not great, but the manner in which you're delivering it is bang out of order. You have failed to address the professor's rationale as stated at the ASD aside from saying that, in your opinion as a 0L, it isn't a good reason. If you rely on your opinion for exams next year, the professors will wreck you. You're entitled to be upset that we can't use laptops, but you're embarrassing yourself (well, not really, thank you Internet anonymity) with your propensity to flame over a moot point. If you're griping that other students in other sections get to use laptops, I'm sure you're horribly offended that the same subject is taught by different professors of varying ability.

Summary: 1) Saying I'm right because of this, this, and this doesn't make you right. 2) Phlash needs to take a couple deep breaths.
Last edited by ShiftyPig on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby AJaKe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:34 pm

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 pm

.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Phlash58
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Phlash58 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:45 pm

Hops
Last edited by Phlash58 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AJaKe
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:13 am

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby AJaKe » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:53 pm

.
Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Axis
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Axis » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:57 pm

I believe I can help, I've lived in Gainesville my whole life. Here is what I would recommend:

For everyday activities, there are lots of parks to check out. Students usually get together and play pick up football and soccer games by Norman Hall. The art museum and the natural history museum are both worth a visit, and both are on campus. Also, I would recommend going downtown to the Sun Center and check it out during the day, there are lots of local cafes and restaurants. I would drive around a bit and get to know the layout of the town and where to find the things you need while the students are gone. If you can find someone to go with you, the restaurants downtown are very good and affordable.

For the nightlife, you can go two routes. There is midtown, which is where all of the dive bars are that undergraduates usually frequent. They are cheap, crowded, noisy, and you won't have trouble finding drunks to talk to. Downtown is where all of the clubs are, they are pricey but pretty cheap by big city standards. There are a few places to dance in midtown but downtown is where you go if dancing is your thing. Both places are pretty safe at night as long as you don't wander off too far away from the major streets.

There is also a big local music scene. If you want to get an idea of what's playing, http://gainesvillebands.com is pretty useful. I am going to see Funkatron at Common Grounds tonight, actually.

Let me know if you want any more ideas, I didn't want to write an essay =p

mistergoft wrote:I'm sure the vast majority of us are used to taking notes by hand anyways...

That being said, I'd like to take the opportunity to shift the momentum of this discussion from negative to positive; essentially, I literally just moved down to Gainesville (well, slightly outside of Gainesville) from Connecticut (bet you can't guess who I am on the Facebook group) and I don't know what to do around this town, where to meet interesting people, what fun attractions Gainesville has to offer. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Last edited by Axis on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Phlash58
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: University of Florida 2012

Postby Phlash58 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:58 pm

copper
Last edited by Phlash58 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest