Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dresq

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by dresq » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:35 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:and....Duke TLS 1L meetup? Sure!
+1
frissle wrote:Does anyone know what is in the downtown West Village center? I already have an apartment but I looked online and it seems like a rather cool place. There is apparently a plethora of retail space as well. Just a random question, getting exciting about exploring the area
i actually had a friend who lived there about 5 or 6 years ago. there are definitely lots of restaurants and bars near there. there is some, but not too much, retail in the area. as for the apartments, i seem to remember that the noise spillover from hallways and neighboring apts. is pretty bad. still, it's the best location in durham if you want to go out in durham.

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 pm

I talked to the registrar's office today. Section numbers should be on ACES by COB Friday.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:20 pm

frissle wrote:Does anyone know what is in the downtown West Village center? I already have an apartment but I looked online and it seems like a rather cool place. There is apparently a plethora of retail space as well. Just a random question, getting exciting about exploring the area
Interesting. I checked out the website after reading your post and they're definitely doing a great marketing job though who knows what is actually there. It looks like it at least has a wine bar and a theater of some type. There's a blog that has been updated really infrequently, but it has some sparse information about the area.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Pogopop wrote:I talked to the registrar's office today. Section numbers should be on ACES by COB Friday.
Hooray! That's good info - thanks for posting.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:22 pm

What does everyone think about a meet-up next Saturday night? This way everyone will have a chance to get down here and we'll still have a day to relax before orientation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Back2School

New

Post by Back2School » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Im moving down to Durham Aug.9 / 10th so will be around the whole week if people feel like meeting up / hanging out before that Saturday. I'm in for the Saturday meet up too though :D

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:45 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:What does everyone think about a meet-up next Saturday night? This way everyone will have a chance to get down here and we'll still have a day to relax before orientation.
next saturday as in 8/15? i'll be in carrboro helping a friend move that day, but hopefully i'll be free by the evening. count me in.

also, if there's any interest we could also do a trivia night: tuesday @ james joyce in durham, tuesday @ reservoir in carrboro, or wednesday @ the station in carrboro. personally, i suggest trivia @ the station, or "trivia from hell." it's a reference to the trivia night's origin at my old (now closed) drinking haunt in chapel hill - hell :twisted:. the trivia emcee is a very interesting (and hilarious) guy i know, named mark dorosin - carrboro town alderman, former attorney at the community enterprise clinic at duke law, current attorney at center for civil rights at unc law, community playwrite/producer, and the former proprietor of hell (oh, and he was once interviewed by stephen colbert which aired for the daily show :lol: ). if anyone wants to do that + bar hop in chapel hill/carrboro next wednesday, i'd be happy to play tour guide.

creditedresponse

New

Post by creditedresponse » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Already moved in (West Village). If any of y'all are up for hanging out I am definitely game. There's plenty of stuff down here to do (bars, restaurants and the Bulls, etc)

irishlaw

New

Post by irishlaw » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:25 pm

dresq wrote:
also, if there's any interest we could also do a trivia night: tuesday @ james joyce in durham
There's trivia there? Really?? Maybe I just went on an odd night, but I went in there a month ago when I was exploring Durham and it seemed small, really dark, and filled with bikers and such...I got one drink and got the hell out of there, was getting stared down and felt like it was a perfect environment for a bar brawl!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:36 pm

sorry to all the new folks in town....it's normally this hot all summer but this year we got lucky.

the heat always turns up the week students move out and the week they move back in, like clockwork.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:43 pm

irishlaw wrote:
dresq wrote:
also, if there's any interest we could also do a trivia night: tuesday @ james joyce in durham
There's trivia there? Really?? Maybe I just went on an odd night, but I went in there a month ago when I was exploring Durham and it seemed small, really dark, and filled with bikers and such...I got one drink and got the hell out of there, was getting stared down and felt like it was a perfect environment for a bar brawl!
BAR TRIVIA?!?!?!

Dude I am the master, as long as they don't ask questions about music.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:01 pm

irishlaw wrote:
dresq wrote:
give it a chance; it's a really eclectic place on the whole. i'll admit, i prefer the federal or the pinhook, but trivia (and food) at the joyce are usually really good.
prezidentv8 wrote:BAR TRIVIA?!?!?!
Dude I am the master, as long as they don't ask questions about music.
that rules out trivia @ the reservoir (where i'm headed in an hour or so). of the three i mentioned, the station is definitely the best and most entertaining. seriously, any takers for heading to carrboro/chapel hill for trivia, drinks, and exploring should PM me.

p.s. remember, durham isn't just durham. carrboro/chapel hill is a 15 min. drive (9 miles away), and raleigh is about a 30 min. drive.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm moving in on Sunday. I'm down to meet up at some point before orientation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gardners2

New

Post by gardners2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Hey, not a Duke 0L or anything, but I did just move from Durham. If you guys want some ideas on places to get together I know of a few good spots.

Close to campus is 9th street, bars, stores and a bagel shop. The bars are alright, but not tip top, and you will probably resort to those for the rest of the semester so you may want to do something else.

I loved going to the Tobacco campus. It is just an area downtown. There is Mellow Mushroom, Tyler's Taproom, and a Cuban spot. Also, you have Durham Stadium. Durham Bulls Tickets are like 5 bucks and it can be fun to go to a game. Even if baseball is not your thing there is beer.

Lastly you can go to Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, which is pretty close, and hit up all the good UNC spots. Top of The Hill is nice, but it is also a little pricy.

Raleigh and Carborro are not too far away, but there is really no reason to go outside of Durham Chapel Hill. Well if you want to go clubin then you are welcome to wonder into Raleigh and hit on NC State kids, they have a Vet school, so you know...

Just my $.02. A quick google search will probably tell exactly what I just said.

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:What does everyone think about a meet-up next Saturday night? This way everyone will have a chance to get down here and we'll still have a day to relax before orientation.
I think next Saturday (15th) is a great idea. I should (hopefully) be all moved in and ready to go out

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:27 pm

Let's definitely do something next Saturday to include more people. Trivia on Tuesday sounds fun. Also, if anyone is in town now and bored and wants to hang out this weekend we could do something Friday too. Maybe overkill, but we're about to start school and be buried in the library.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 am

just FYI if anyone new to the area hadn't heard... this weekend is NC's sales tax-free holiday.

computers, clothes, textbooks (all within limits) - no sales tax from 12:01 Friday morning to 11:59 Sunday night. since we should know our sections by then, you can probably hit the bookstores hard on Saturday/Sunday if that's your thing.

--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sunshinesam

New

Post by sunshinesam » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:48 am

Count me in for whatever the plan is next Saturday. I'll be moving to Durham on Wednesday... can't wait!

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 am

Sales tax holiday?? Sweet!!

creditedresponse

New

Post by creditedresponse » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Count me in for the plan on Saturday. I should hopefully be done running around the state looking for a Lowe's by then..

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm going down to Charlotte this Friday to go to IKEA (and pick up my car) if anyone is interested in going down. Just PM me and we'll set it all up.

aer

New

Post by aer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:03 am

creditedresponse wrote:Count me in for the plan on Saturday. I should hopefully be done running around the state looking for a Lowe's by then..

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm going down to Charlotte this Friday to go to IKEA (and pick up my car) if anyone is interested in going down. Just PM me and we'll set it all up.

I'm pretty sure there is a Lowe's in Chapel Hill, if not there is a Home Depot near Costco off of I-85.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pgrigg

New

Post by pgrigg » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:25 am

aer wrote:
creditedresponse wrote:Count me in for the plan on Saturday. I should hopefully be done running around the state looking for a Lowe's by then..

I'm pretty sure there is a Lowe's in Chapel Hill, if not there is a Home Depot near Costco off of I-85.
Theres a lowes on 15-501 next to the borders and across the street from the bmw dealership.

creditedresponse

New

Post by creditedresponse » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 pm

^ I finally found that one when I was over that way but only after my GPS thought it would be funny to send me to the middle of a freeway and call it a Lowes.

pgrigg

New

Post by pgrigg » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 pm

creditedresponse wrote:^ I finally found that one when I was over that way but only after my GPS thought it would be funny to send me to the middle of a freeway and call it a Lowes.

Haha I love those moments... good times, good times.

Ask me on Saturday about how I ended up in St. Louis, Michigan instead of...well...St Louis

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:30 pm

pgrigg wrote:
creditedresponse wrote:^ I finally found that one when I was over that way but only after my GPS thought it would be funny to send me to the middle of a freeway and call it a Lowes.

Haha I love those moments... good times, good times.

Ask me on Saturday about how I ended up in St. Louis, Michigan instead of...well...St Louis
Haha, maybe I'm glad my GPS quit working yesterday. But these streets are crazy with all their name changing and requiring you to turn to stay on the same street.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”