Duke Law Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:53 pm

letsgopsu wrote:i had a perkins loan and i just got my paperwork this week, 6 weeks after i applied. I would call and check on yours because when I called they thought they had already sent it to me but of course it turned out they hadn't. Loans are such a headache!


Thanks for telling me about your situation. I am definitely calling Monday!

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby wiseowl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:00 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:Also another random thing. I was searching stuff online and found their health/shots form and decided to go ahead and take it to my doctor to fill out since I'm leaving for North Carolina soon. It turns out I'm due for some of the recommended ones and since I brought the form in this early I'll be able to get those before leaving without any problem. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else might be the same situation and want to get this done before we hear about it from the law school.


i don't mean to stress, but wasn't the shots form due by June 30th? that was what my copy said and i had to bust it to get it in by then. would have been nice to have been able to wait a few more weeks. if you haven't gotten this in yet i'd do it as soon as you can.

pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 pm

wiseowl wrote:
pumpkincrepes wrote:Also another random thing. I was searching stuff online and found their health/shots form and decided to go ahead and take it to my doctor to fill out since I'm leaving for North Carolina soon. It turns out I'm due for some of the recommended ones and since I brought the form in this early I'll be able to get those before leaving without any problem. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else might be the same situation and want to get this done before we hear about it from the law school.


i don't mean to stress, but wasn't the shots form due by June 30th? that was what my copy said and i had to bust it to get it in by then. would have been nice to have been able to wait a few more weeks. if you haven't gotten this in yet i'd do it as soon as you can.


Hm. Interesting. I don't see a due date on here. Where did you see a June 30th date? Also I don't think I got anything from Duke saying to do this, I was under the impression I had just discovered it. Maybe I missed something? When did you get yours and did any was there anything else with it? I'm getting some shots done Thursday and I guess I'll go ahead and fax it in at that time. If I am late I guess that might cause some issues, but I'm guessing they'll find a way to still let me attend class.

kbtl
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby kbtl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Being technologically inept, I was hoping for some computer buying advice. I saw a few posts about it but figured I would post again anyway. I want to buy a mac but it seems duke is anti-mac and I was wondering how much more complicated a mac would make my life. Also, do we need to buy the exam software before heading down there? Thanks for any advice


Hey guys, just letting you know Duke isn't anti-Mac. I have a Mac and I didn't need to use bootcamp or partition. EBB, the exam software, came out with a mac version last fall... it works perfectly fine on a mac (no worse than the PC version works on PCs). I wouldn't download it now since they tend to do updates, Computer Services will email you around exam time with instructions.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:37 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
pumpkincrepes wrote:Also another random thing. I was searching stuff online and found their health/shots form and decided to go ahead and take it to my doctor to fill out since I'm leaving for North Carolina soon. It turns out I'm due for some of the recommended ones and since I brought the form in this early I'll be able to get those before leaving without any problem. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else might be the same situation and want to get this done before we hear about it from the law school.


i don't mean to stress, but wasn't the shots form due by June 30th? that was what my copy said and i had to bust it to get it in by then. would have been nice to have been able to wait a few more weeks. if you haven't gotten this in yet i'd do it as soon as you can.


Hm. Interesting. I don't see a due date on here. Where did you see a June 30th date? Also I don't think I got anything from Duke saying to do this, I was under the impression I had just discovered it. Maybe I missed something? When did you get yours and did any was there anything else with it? I'm getting some shots done Thursday and I guess I'll go ahead and fax it in at that time. If I am late I guess that might cause some issues, but I'm guessing they'll find a way to still let me attend class.


You're right, I went and dug up my copy and it does not have a due date on it. However, the online instructions/FAQ (http://healthydevil.studentaffairs.duke.edu/forms_policies/policies/HHF%20Immunization%20reqs%203_08.pdf) says "We must receive these forms no later than: For Fall Admission: June 30 For Spring Admission: December 15 For Summer Admission: April 15 We cannot guarantee that records received after the deadline will be processed by the first day of classes. We reserve the right to deactivate your DukeCard if the minimum immunization requirements are not met."

However, it also says on the website that due to server overload from everyone submitting, they have "relaxed the deadline". You're almost certainly fine but I'd still get it in ASAP.

Anyway, I received the form from them in a mailing with something else - I think it may have been with that DVD about Durham they sent out, or with the early financial aid info. Whatever the case, you're probably right - they'll certainly take your money and let you attend. :)

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:34 pm

First I have heard about this shot thing. I know we had to do something like it for undergraduate at my school, but I didn't really think about it for law school.

Hmm... I will have to look into it.

pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:46 am

kbtl wrote:
Being technologically inept, I was hoping for some computer buying advice. I saw a few posts about it but figured I would post again anyway. I want to buy a mac but it seems duke is anti-mac and I was wondering how much more complicated a mac would make my life. Also, do we need to buy the exam software before heading down there? Thanks for any advice


Hey guys, just letting you know Duke isn't anti-Mac. I have a Mac and I didn't need to use bootcamp or partition. EBB, the exam software, came out with a mac version last fall... it works perfectly fine on a mac (no worse than the PC version works on PCs). I wouldn't download it now since they tend to do updates, Computer Services will email you around exam time with instructions.


Yay this is incredible! Not that bootcamp is the end of the world or anything. Were you able to use the Contracts DVD too? Why do you think the tech letter hates on Macs?

pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:49 am

Bosque wrote:First I have heard about this shot thing. I know we had to do something like it for undergraduate at my school, but I didn't really think about it for law school.

Hmm... I will have to look into it.


If we're kicked out the first few days we can team up on our note-hunting search :). Anyway, I'm going to fax this in Thursday after I go to the doctor and hope their "relaxed" deadline means I can send things in a month late. Ha. I did get that "Decidedly Durham DVD," I must have somehow missed the immunization info.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:50 am

So...my loans were approved...now...how do I get the money to pay for my rent?

letsgopsu
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby letsgopsu » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:00 am

As long as you got enough loans to cover living expenses and tuition what will happen is the loan money goes to duke and then, if you have set up direct deposit which i would recommend, the excess over tuition, the living expenses money, will get deposited into your account. I don't think that will happen until at least august 14 though according to the financial aid woman so you should not depend on that money to pay your aug 1 rent.

kbtl
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby kbtl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Yay this is incredible! Not that bootcamp is the end of the world or anything. Were you able to use the Contracts DVD too? Why do you think the tech letter hates on Macs?


I have no idea why the tech letter hates on Macs. I'd say at least 1/3 of the class uses them. I still got a Mac last year even thinking I was going to have to run bluebook (we didn't find out about Mac EBB until October-ish).

Unless Weistart is teaching more than one section of contracts this year, you most likely won't actually have a Contracts DVD. And I doubt he's teaching more than the summer Contracts section. All of the other sections had regular casebooks. If you are really worried though, you can always wait until the sections get assigned to buy a computer.

As for loans - excess money usually doesn't get handed back until a couple of weeks into school. Your lender will give Duke however much you took out for the semester, Duke will pay your tuition, and then give you a refund check. Do not not not depend on this money for your Aug 1 rent, even depending on it for your Sep 1 rent may be risky.

kbtl
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby kbtl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:24 pm

Oh, and the shots thing, it is no big deal if you don't get it in by June 30. You just need it in by the first couple weeks of school, or they'll withdraw you from your classes (it's NC law).

pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:41 am

Sweet & Sweet on the shots & Macs.

FYI, I was looking at the 2009 book list and noticed that there are some books used in all the legal writing sections so I went ahead and got those from Amazon. Probably way too much hair-splitting, but figured I would try and save where I could.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Oh? And where did you find the book list for this year?

pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 pm

Bosque wrote:Oh? And where did you find the book list for this year?


http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/pdf/ ... oklist.pdf

They also have all of the potential 1st year schedules listed. I think sections 1 and 4 are the summer starters since they seem to have fewer classes. This isn't that helpful except we know the class schedule that would require the most time at the law school would be something like 825-430. This plus the book-list is all under the academics section of the school website.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:03 am

pumpkincrepes wrote:
Bosque wrote:Oh? And where did you find the book list for this year?


http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/pdf/ ... oklist.pdf

They also have all of the potential 1st year schedules listed. I think sections 1 and 4 are the summer starters since they seem to have fewer classes. This isn't that helpful except we know the class schedule that would require the most time at the law school would be something like 825-430. This plus the book-list is all under the academics section of the school website.


No, looks like the summer starters are just section 1. Section 4 has four classes (120.01 Constitutional Law, 130.04 Contracts , 170.02 Property, and of course one of the legal writing courses).

pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Bosque wrote:
pumpkincrepes wrote:
Bosque wrote:Oh? And where did you find the book list for this year?


http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/pdf/ ... oklist.pdf

They also have all of the potential 1st year schedules listed. I think sections 1 and 4 are the summer starters since they seem to have fewer classes. This isn't that helpful except we know the class schedule that would require the most time at the law school would be something like 825-430. This plus the book-list is all under the academics section of the school website.


No, looks like the summer starters are just section 1. Section 4 has four classes (120.01 Constitutional Law, 130.04 Contracts , 170.02 Property, and of course one of the legal writing courses).


Fail on my part. So is just 1/6 of the class summer starts then?

dmnshm
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:35 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby dmnshm » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:34 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:
Bosque wrote:
pumpkincrepes wrote:
Bosque wrote:Oh? And where did you find the book list for this year?


http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/pdf/ ... oklist.pdf

They also have all of the potential 1st year schedules listed. I think sections 1 and 4 are the summer starters since they seem to have fewer classes. This isn't that helpful except we know the class schedule that would require the most time at the law school would be something like 825-430. This plus the book-list is all under the academics section of the school website.


No, looks like the summer starters are just section 1. Section 4 has four classes (120.01 Constitutional Law, 130.04 Contracts , 170.02 Property, and of course one of the legal writing courses).


Fail on my part. So is just 1/6 of the class summer starts then?


54 summer starters. Rumor has it that Duke is slightly overenrolled this year, but I still don't think that will = 300+ students. My impression is that our section will be larger than the other sections.

pgrigg
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pgrigg » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:25 pm

Hey all,
Just found this thread. Add me to the 2012 class. Looking forward to meeting folks.

Ill be living out at the townhomes around Hope Valley Farms. Anyone know of any parking alternatives to green lot? Im 200 deep in the waitlist.

I dont know if anyone else will taking it, but I signed up to take Kaplans 1L prep course on the 15th and 16th in CH. Hopefully Ill meet a few of you there.

Back2School
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Back2School » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:52 pm

pgrigg wrote:Hey all,
Just found this thread. Add me to the 2012 class. Looking forward to meeting folks.

Ill be living out at the townhomes around Hope Valley Farms. Anyone know of any parking alternatives to green lot? Im 200 deep in the waitlist.

I dont know if anyone else will taking it, but I signed up to take Kaplans 1L prep course on the 15th and 16th in CH. Hopefully Ill meet a few of you there.



How are you 200 deep on the green lot WL? I signed up for my parking permit earlier this week and got the pass no problem.

pgrigg
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pgrigg » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:40 pm

Back2School wrote:
pgrigg wrote:Hey all,
Just found this thread. Add me to the 2012 class. Looking forward to meeting folks.

Ill be living out at the townhomes around Hope Valley Farms. Anyone know of any parking alternatives to green lot? Im 200 deep in the waitlist.

I dont know if anyone else will taking it, but I signed up to take Kaplans 1L prep course on the 15th and 16th in CH. Hopefully Ill meet a few of you there.



How are you 200 deep on the green lot WL? I signed up for my parking permit earlier this week and got the pass no problem.


How did you get this? I cant purchase it from the website and when I called they said I likely wouldnt get a permit this fall.

pumpkincrepes
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:05 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pumpkincrepes » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:35 am

That's crazy. You should have special permission for a green pass. . . and you are supposed to be able to sign up until the 31st. Are you sure you clicked green and not chemistry lot or something? And did you click the sign-up button rather than the waitlist button?

I've heard a little bit about these prep classes and did do Kaplan for the LSAT. Do you think they are worth the time and money?

User avatar
frissle
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:55 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby frissle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:01 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:That's crazy. You should have special permission for a green pass. . . and you are supposed to be able to sign up until the 31st. Are you sure you clicked green and not chemistry lot or something? And did you click the sign-up button rather than the waitlist button?

I've heard a little bit about these prep classes and did do Kaplan for the LSAT. Do you think they are worth the time and money?


Yeah what happened is pgrigg clicked the waitlist option instead of purchase. Go back and see if you can purchase (I am doing it now, nothing like last minute). But hurry it ends at 5PM EST

pgrigg
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby pgrigg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:19 pm

You guys are awesome. I emailed the parking manager and he said there must be an issue with my online account. He manually registered me for green zone (and MC permit as well) so Im good to go.

Thanks guys, I probably would have assumed I was out of luck if I hadn't received the feedback I did.

Note: if you call them you probably won't have a lot of luck. The lady who answers acts like youre a moron and that you're egregiously wasting her divine time.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:04 pm

Crap, parking pass! Gotta do that.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest