Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
wiseowl

Silver

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by wiseowl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:44 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Uh-oh....what's a green zone permit?
the lowly parking zone we qualify for. sign up at parking.duke.edu
prezidentv8 wrote:Also...what is this about submitting a picture? And when do we have to do this?
if you want to get your ID card at orientation and not be hassled by it later, you need to submit a passport-sized photo for it by August 1.

an email came out around 4 PM EST that went into some of this.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:44 pm

Bosque wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Gordon wrote:This may be a silly question, but how dressed up are you guys planning to be for your Duke Card/online student directory photo that we're supposed to submit?

Obviously I won't wear my Motorhead t-shirt, but are you planning to go casual, business casual, full jacket and tie, etc.?
It's just a passport photo isn't it? My melonish head should do most of the heavy lifting.

I'll probably be business casual at best.
I will be wearing whatever the hell I am wearing when I take the photo. It is an ID picture, who cares what you are wearing? All you see is the very tip top of your shirt, if that.

I am more worried about my beard. If I shave it off at some point, I hope I don't need to get a different ID.
it did dawn on me later that this is the picture also used in the "student directory", so others will see it.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Bosque wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Gordon wrote:This may be a silly question, but how dressed up are you guys planning to be for your Duke Card/online student directory photo that we're supposed to submit?

Obviously I won't wear my Motorhead t-shirt, but are you planning to go casual, business casual, full jacket and tie, etc.?
It's just a passport photo isn't it? My melonish head should do most of the heavy lifting.

I will be wearing whatever the hell I am wearing when I take the photo. It is an ID picture, who cares what you are wearing? All you see is the very tip top of your shirt, if that.

I am more worried about my beard. If I shave it off at some point, I hope I don't need to get a different ID.
I'm so damn lazy with my beard...no idea if I'll be sporting one at orientation, but if I do, be prepared for a homeless looking blond dude. That'll be prez.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
wiseowl wrote:i bought my green zone permit online yesterday.

i think all i need to do now is send in transcripts, even though in theory they shouldn't need them again since they haven't changed in six years. best to overkill it i guess.
Uh-oh....what's a green zone permit?

Also...what is this about submitting a picture? And when do we have to do this?
The greenzone is the area on the Duke campus that we can park in as 1L's provided we purchase our green zone permit.

Not to be confused with Greenzo, "America's first non-judgmental, business-friendly environmental advocate" from the NBC hit show 30 Rock, as portrayed by David Schwimmer.

And the picture is to get your Duke ID. Check your email, you should have received a welcome letter with information about orientation today.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:12 am

wiseowl wrote:
Bosque wrote:On the loan front, I think I am going with College Foundation. I really want to be done with this. Any idea on how to get the Master Promissory note? Do I have to just wait till they mail it to me? Because that seems silly.
I struggled mightily with this and finally swallowed my pride and called the FA office.

if you're going with CFNC -

finish all the counseling for Stafford/PLUS off ACES
then go to http://www.cfnc.org/onlineapps/mpn/mpnapp_start.jsp
Click on the little blue tab that says "Start Stafford Loan Process Now! Click here!"
Create a CFNC account
Try to submit the MPN online. It didn't work for me, so I had to print out the PDF, sign, and send in by mail. I did this about a week ago and haven't heard anything further. My status on the CFNC site says "Your application is processed and awaiting school verification".
Repeat for PLUS.

But yea, I subtly let the Duke FA guy know that the help/guidance for FA needs a little sprucing up. I like to think I'm not a total vegetable, but I was totally lost during this whole process.
CFI seems to be having website issues. It wouldn't let me sign my note online one day, so I printed and got ready to mail. I tried the website the next and it decided that it did want to allow me to sign the note electronically with my PIN. From there, things got processed pretty quickly (I think everything was fully done and approved by Duke within a week). If you continue to have trouble with CFI, maybe try logging online again and see if you can sign the note electronically.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:15 am

wiseowl wrote:
Bosque wrote:
wiseowl wrote:

it did dawn on me later that this is the picture also used in the "student directory", so others will see it.
I think you will be fine whatever you wear so long as it is not a UNC basketball shirt :).

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:19 am

I'm thinking of calling to try to find out my section number on Monday because I'm anxious to start ordering texts through Amazon so they'll arrive cheaply and on time. It's slightly over a month before orientation though - do you think this is way too early?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:25 am

pumpkincrepes wrote:I think you will be fine whatever you wear so long as it is not a UNC basketball shirt :).
i use those as rags :)
pumpkincrepes wrote:I'm thinking of calling to try to find out my section number on Monday because I'm anxious to start ordering texts through Amazon so they'll arrive cheaply and on time. It's slightly over a month before orientation though - do you think this is way too early?
worth a shot, but i get the impression they aren't there yet. they made it sound like as soon as they knew they'd put it on ACES.

i like how they are going to herd us to the bookstore during orientation to try to get us to pay full price there.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:29 am

pumpkincrepes wrote:I'm thinking of calling to try to find out my section number on Monday because I'm anxious to start ordering texts through Amazon so they'll arrive cheaply and on time. It's slightly over a month before orientation though - do you think this is way too early?
Not sure if it is too early or not, but if you have any success let us know. I would like to do this too!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Okay, I plan to call Monday and will let you all know what they say.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:14 pm

wiseowl wrote:
pumpkincrepes wrote:I think you will be fine whatever you wear so long as it is not a UNC basketball shirt :).
i use those as rags :)
:D :D :D :D :D :D

letsgopsu

New

Post by letsgopsu » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:45 pm

Being technologically inept, I was hoping for some computer buying advice. I saw a few posts about it but figured I would post again anyway. I want to buy a mac but it seems duke is anti-mac and I was wondering how much more complicated a mac would make my life. Also, do we need to buy the exam software before heading down there? Thanks for any advice :)

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:01 pm

letsgopsu wrote:Being technologically inept, I was hoping for some computer buying advice. I saw a few posts about it but figured I would post again anyway. I want to buy a mac but it seems duke is anti-mac and I was wondering how much more complicated a mac would make my life. Also, do we need to buy the exam software before heading down there? Thanks for any advice :)
Do you know how to hold down the option key when you boot up? Then congratulations, you have mastered the only skill you need in order to work with windows on a Mac!

Just keep in mind that you are going to need to acquire a copy of windows somehow, so factor that into the price. I think Windows 7 is in open trial until May of next year, so that is a free option (at least for a little while).

As to the exam software, I highly doubt we need to get it before we show up on campus. I wouldn't worry about that until you get there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:40 am

I'm pretty sure that bootcamp (for converting a MAC to a PC) is free so long as you have a leopard or higher operating system on the MAC. I've been looking at this too and I think sticking with a MAC won't really be an issue.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:47 pm

I called today to see if I could find out my section number and the assistant registrar said they will be assigned in early August. We can call then to find out, so hopefully that will be enough time to get the textbooks in time from Amazon. Might need to use expedited shipping ($3 extra) so that the shippers can't ethically ship using book rate.

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Bosque wrote:
letsgopsu wrote:Being technologically inept, I was hoping for some computer buying advice. I saw a few posts about it but figured I would post again anyway. I want to buy a mac but it seems duke is anti-mac and I was wondering how much more complicated a mac would make my life. Also, do we need to buy the exam software before heading down there? Thanks for any advice :)
Do you know how to hold down the option key when you boot up? Then congratulations, you have mastered the only skill you need in order to work with windows on a Mac!

Just keep in mind that you are going to need to acquire a copy of windows somehow, so factor that into the price. I think Windows 7 is in open trial until May of next year, so that is a free option (at least for a little while).

As to the exam software, I highly doubt we need to get it before we show up on campus. I wouldn't worry about that until you get there.
You'll download the exam software, plus miscellaneous network software when you get here. You could do most of it now, since the stuff is mostly on the website. I wouldn't recommend downloading the exam software yet, since it will be updated again in the fall and you'll have to do it all over.

yosguns

New

Post by yosguns » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Anyone think the IT office will be able to provide the Windows XP Pro OS? I only have Home Edition and don't want to have to get another PC just to have the right OS.

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm

yosguns wrote:Anyone think the IT office will be able to provide the Windows XP Pro OS? I only have Home Edition and don't want to have to get another PC just to have the right OS.

Thanks!
What is wrong with home edition?

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Finally my to do list is complete on aces! That only took a month...

yosguns

New

Post by yosguns » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:05 pm

Bosque wrote:
yosguns wrote:Anyone think the IT office will be able to provide the Windows XP Pro OS? I only have Home Edition and don't want to have to get another PC just to have the right OS.

Thanks!
I guess some of the exam software and printers are not compatible with home edition. In the specs (http://www.law.duke.edu/computing/incom ... html#XPPro):

Why Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista Business?

Windows XP is the operating system currently used on law school computers provided for student use and on faculty and staff computers. It is used by many law firms. Home editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista currently do not provide full compatibility with the school's NetWare and Microsoft networks, which give you access to network storage and network printers. Using a Home edition places you at a disadvantage in our environment.

And:

Academic Technologies staff provides a comprehensive level of service for computers meeting the specifications. While we do not perform hardware repair or replacement, we do help with nearly any other problem, including removing viruses and spyware, reinstalling the operating system, and backing up data before you send a defective hard drive for replacement. Because computers not meeting the specifications often have nonstandard or inferior parts and because Windows Home edition does not support Novell and Microsoft advanced networking features, we are unable to provide such a comprehensive level of support for computers that do not meet the specifications.

SO...looks like I need to figure out how to get XP Pro...shipoopy. Any recommendations? My machine is alright.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:49 pm

yosguns wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Thanks!
I guess some of the exam software and printers are not compatible with home edition. In the specs (http://www.law.duke.edu/computing/incom ... html#XPPro):

Why Windows XP Professional Edition or Windows Vista Business?

Windows XP is the operating system currently used on law school computers provided for student use and on faculty and staff computers. It is used by many law firms. Home editions of Windows XP and Windows Vista currently do not provide full compatibility with the school's NetWare and Microsoft networks, which give you access to network storage and network printers. Using a Home edition places you at a disadvantage in our environment.

And:

Academic Technologies staff provides a comprehensive level of service for computers meeting the specifications. While we do not perform hardware repair or replacement, we do help with nearly any other problem, including removing viruses and spyware, reinstalling the operating system, and backing up data before you send a defective hard drive for replacement. Because computers not meeting the specifications often have nonstandard or inferior parts and because Windows Home edition does not support Novell and Microsoft advanced networking features, we are unable to provide such a comprehensive level of support for computers that do not meet the specifications.

SO...looks like I need to figure out how to get XP Pro...shipoopy. Any recommendations? My machine is alright.
Hmm. My undergraduate lets you upgrade/buy windows vista (or xp) ultimate for ten bucks. That is what I have loaded on my computer. The upgrade copies of XP are cheeper I think, but I don't know where a good place for you to get it from would be. I am sure Duke probably sells it, but as I recall they don't really have any special deals when it comes to software.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oakroom

New

Post by oakroom » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:32 pm

http://www.oit.duke.edu/comp-print/software/index.php
Microsoft products: Duke's recent agreement with Microsoft makes MS products available to Duke faculty, staff and students. If you are buying a computer for use at Duke, please keep these things in mind:

* The license for Vista is for upgrades, which means that you need to have a MS or Apple operating system, or at least a Microsoft Windows "key"—the electronic proof from Microsoft that the machine is eligible for an "upgrade"—on your computer. We suggest that you purchase the cheapest OS (the one included in price of the machine) and upgrade to Vista here at Duke for free. Download Microsoft Windows Here
* An upgrade to Windows 7 is included in the Duke agreement, so don't purchase the upgrade with your computer. Mac OS also qualifies as an upgradable OS, in case you want to run Windows on your Intel-based Mac.
* The license for MS Office is for a full version, so you will not need a prior version of Office on your machine to download it under this agreement. Download Microsoft Office Here
* The campus agreement covers Forefront security in addition to the existing McAfee site license, so we advise loading one of the two antivirus options available at Duke.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:09 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Finally my to do list is complete on aces! That only took a month...
Haha yay. They've been having issues with the to-do list. I asked Mr. Ahlers about it and he said they have been fighting the tech people all summer. But did you have any Perkins loans? I still haven't gotten the paperwork for mine in the mail and I'm a little worried about it.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:17 pm

Also another random thing. I was searching stuff online and found their health/shots form and decided to go ahead and take it to my doctor to fill out since I'm leaving for North Carolina soon. It turns out I'm due for some of the recommended ones and since I brought the form in this early I'll be able to get those before leaving without any problem. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else might be the same situation and want to get this done before we hear about it from the law school.

letsgopsu

New

Post by letsgopsu » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:01 pm

i had a perkins loan and i just got my paperwork this week, 6 weeks after i applied. I would call and check on yours because when I called they thought they had already sent it to me but of course it turned out they hadn't. Loans are such a headache!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”