Duke Law Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Back2School
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Back2School » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

anybody else not thrilled with the duke webmail interface? this is gonna take me some getting used to. (and i also received an email about financial aid)

User avatar
Sanchez
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:36 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Sanchez » Thu May 14, 2009 4:15 pm

Does anyone know if any of the standard Duke law student habitated apartments keep lists of people who would like to split a 2 or 3 BR place with a roommate or roommates but who don't have people lined up with whom to room? I called Pinnacle Ridge and left a message but haven't heard anything back.

I'm trying to find backups to the housing list and random people I met at the ASW.

Thanks!

~S

EllaLemry
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby EllaLemry » Sat May 16, 2009 10:49 am

Back2School wrote:anybody else not thrilled with the duke webmail interface? this is gonna take me some getting used to. (and i also received an email about financial aid)


Log in to your account. Look at the top of the screen and click "New Webmail Beta."

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Mon May 18, 2009 12:55 am

It's quiet... too quiet.

User avatar
aholmes87
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aholmes87 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:05 am

Agreed.

Anyone have any idea when we might find out our section/courses?

dmnshm
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:35 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby dmnshm » Mon May 18, 2009 12:16 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Agreed.

Anyone have any idea when we might find out our section/courses?


All I know is I will start Contracts and Civ Pro in exactly two weeks. :shock: :shock: :shock:

dmnshm
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:35 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby dmnshm » Mon May 18, 2009 12:19 pm

ETA for TLSers?

dmnshm - Friday

User avatar
aholmes87
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aholmes87 » Mon May 18, 2009 12:31 pm

dmnshm wrote:ETA for TLSers?

dmnshm - Friday



Probably mid-July for a weekend to drop half of my life off since my lease is starting in July.

For good probably the first weekend in August.

Have fun at class!

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aer » Mon May 18, 2009 5:14 pm

dmnshm wrote:ETA for TLSers?

dmnshm - Friday


I'll also be there on Friday.

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue May 19, 2009 10:19 am

I'm loading up my moving truck tomorrow and driving in on Thursday. :shock:

User avatar
skiridedrive
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby skiridedrive » Wed May 20, 2009 9:41 am

Does anyone know what orientation week consists of?

User avatar
ObviouslyMasochistic
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed May 20, 2009 10:15 am

skiridedrive wrote:Does anyone know what orientation week consists of?


2008 orientation schedule: http://www.law.duke.edu/students/orientation
2009 summer orientation schedule: http://www.law.duke.edu/students/orientationsummer09

Probably something similar to that.

User avatar
skiridedrive
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby skiridedrive » Wed May 20, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks.

chadstew55
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby chadstew55 » Fri May 22, 2009 3:44 pm

Which address are you guys sending your official transcripts to? To the Admissions office or something?

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Bosque » Fri May 22, 2009 4:20 pm

aholmes87 wrote:
dmnshm wrote:ETA for TLSers?

dmnshm - Friday



Probably mid-July for a weekend to drop half of my life off since my lease is starting in July.

For good probably the first weekend in August.

Have fun at class!


Or whenever we get that sucker signed.

I will probably show up for a weekend sometime in July to do some ground work on the move, but I am not actually arriving in Durham for good until a week before orientation at the earliest. I still have a class to finish.

User avatar
aholmes87
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aholmes87 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:11 pm

We can check our financial aid on the ACES system now. Just thought I'd let you guys know. They said they would send another email when we could login, but I never received anything.

User avatar
skiridedrive
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby skiridedrive » Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Thank you, I was able to access mine as well.

Has anyone found out what bank they are going to use while at Duke? Not for loans, but for checking and savings accounts. I wanted to figure that out soon so I could sign up for direct deposit of my financial aid award.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Oe.Maas
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby Oe.Maas » Thu May 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Hello

Just wondering if anyone is doing the JD/MA in English degree right now. I guess if you are, you're already in school then. Please PM me if you wouldn't mind me asking you a couple questions. :)

User avatar
aholmes87
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aholmes87 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 pm

skiridedrive wrote:Thank you, I was able to access mine as well.

Has anyone found out what bank they are going to use while at Duke? Not for loans, but for checking and savings accounts. I wanted to figure that out soon so I could sign up for direct deposit of my financial aid award.

Have a great weekend everyone.


Good question. I don't think my hometown bank is going to have many ATMs around Duke. :P

From the De Novo book they sent out I think they recommended Bank of America or Wachovia. I'm not sure and I don't have the book with me. Maybe a current Duke student is around who could add to this.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby wiseowl » Fri May 29, 2009 12:52 am

aholmes87 wrote:
skiridedrive wrote:Thank you, I was able to access mine as well.

Has anyone found out what bank they are going to use while at Duke? Not for loans, but for checking and savings accounts. I wanted to figure that out soon so I could sign up for direct deposit of my financial aid award.

Have a great weekend everyone.


Good question. I don't think my hometown bank is going to have many ATMs around Duke. :P

From the De Novo book they sent out I think they recommended Bank of America or Wachovia. I'm not sure and I don't have the book with me. Maybe a current Duke student is around who could add to this.


Wachovia and Bank of America are probably the best bets. If you somehow can qualify for a local credit union that will win since their ATMs and accounts have no fees, but that's going to be hard without a spouse or parent as a state employee.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby wiseowl » Fri May 29, 2009 1:47 pm

i have to admit i've been in a bit of a tailspin ever since opening that Financial Aid page.

shit just got real.

User avatar
aholmes87
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:12 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aholmes87 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:32 pm

Even with the scholarship the bill is quite large. Has anyone started applying for private loans yet? Are most people planning on using gradplus?

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:40 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Even with the scholarship the bill is quite large. Has anyone started applying for private loans yet? Are most people planning on using gradplus?


Yes, and ouch on the price. I'm thinkin I can save the most money on transportation and food (eat bike to school, eat less/very basic items, try and get free lunches like they talked about at ASW).

aer
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby aer » Fri May 29, 2009 2:51 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
aholmes87 wrote:Even with the scholarship the bill is quite large. Has anyone started applying for private loans yet? Are most people planning on using gradplus?


Yes, and ouch on the price. I'm thinkin I can save the most money on transportation and food (eat bike to school, eat less/very basic items, try and get free lunches like they talked about at ASW).


I'm a summer start so I am here already and this city is not very bike friendly. I live at Alexan and am pretty sure that I would be hit by a car by the end of the summer session if I tried to bike to school.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri May 29, 2009 2:52 pm

Well, that plan's shot....I'm probably at Pinnacle though, so maybe I can hold out hope...or buy a beater.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest